British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Early Morning Cock Problem... Help Needed! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/early-morning-cock-problem-help-needed-543845/)

TeamEmbo Jun 19th 2008 9:59 pm

Re: Early Morning Cock Problem... Help Needed!

many thanks for all the suggestions :thumbsup:. will try and do some adaptations to the coup this weekend. One problem though is that he doesn't always sit on the perch to crow; midday he struts around the run crowing away! I don't mind that so much though, its just the stupid o'clock bit I want to lessen. We're going to try and put a door on one of the nesting boxes which are dark and shut him in that each night and I'm hoping that will be low enough to stop him stretching his neck too - if not will have to put in a lower 'ceiling' aswell.
I'll try anything humane as I really don't want to get rid of him.

Kiwiprincess Jun 19th 2008 11:52 pm

note to self: figure out how to remove history from internet cache before i set off alarm bells.

TeamEmbo Jun 20th 2008 12:14 am

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

cally49 Jun 20th 2008 2:52 am

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 6481325)
Got your attention? Good. Really simple. Got 5 chickens. Only now they've grown, one isn't. It's a cockerel and its early morning crowing is driving me nuts :curse:. No complaints from neighbours... yet, but expect there will be soon!

Has anyone got any ideas that will work to either lessen the noise or stop him crowing till a more reasonable time of morning?

(OH has already suggested stock pot)

I don't really want to get rid of him as they're the kids chooks and they're actually really happy one's turned out to be male - they keep checking the coop for baby chickies :wub:

:)
Check out your local council bylaws as i believe you arent allowed roosters in town thats the way it was when we were farming, laws may have changed by now though.
Good Luck
Cally:)

Nice Guy Jun 20th 2008 3:04 am

Early Morning Cock Problem... Help Needed!

Ah..........yes I have that problem as well............

Ooops sorry...........just re-read the post...........I'll go away.

TeamEmbo Jun 20th 2008 3:30 am

Originally Posted by cally49 (Post 6484632)
:)
Check out your local council bylaws as i believe you arent allowed roosters in town thats the way it was when we were farming, laws may have changed by now though.
Good Luck
Cally:)

All we were told was that it was ok so long as neighbours were happy. No-one's complained yet but I've got really lovely neighbours and certainly don't want to upset them or disturb their sleep - hence my post here to try and find ways to minimise the dawn chorus.

cally49 Jun 20th 2008 4:19 am

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 6484693)
All we were told was that it was ok so long as neighbours were happy. No-one's complained yet but I've got really lovely neighbours and certainly don't want to upset them or disturb their sleep - hence my post here to try and find ways to minimise the dawn chorus.

You could always say you are doing your bit towards the power crisis by not needing to have an electric alarm clock lol mind you i have been on the recieving end of being woken up by a darling cockrel and it wasnt when i was farming it was when i moved into town lol (murphys law or sumat lol)

My partner at the time was very miffed that these chooks kept waking him up so one night when we were having a party he (unbeknown to all us revellers) jumped the fence, suddenly the door opened and 2 chickens were running round the lounge like crazy things (not suprised they were prob scared stiff) in the end they joined in the party hopped up on the bench and said partner returned them to the chook house.

But someone must have complained about the roosters noise because not only the rooster but all their chickens, rabbits, guinea pigs and bird aviary dissapeared now they only have a dog that barks occasionally it truly was an awful sight as we had the best view lol we were in a 2 story house it stank like a pig sty in the summer (we used to call them the good life lol):)

psa2570 Jun 20th 2008 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Nice Guy (Post 6484657)
Ah..........yes I have that problem as well............

Ooops sorry...........just re-read the post...........I'll go away.

Nice Guy you are a truely wicked man...love it!!:rofl::rofl:

Mallory Jun 20th 2008 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ (Post 6481488)
Have you heard the song that sounds sort of like an old country song?

road island red.

Except you failed geography - it's Rhode Island red. (A state in the USA)

psa2570 Jun 20th 2008 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by psa2570 (Post 6485999)
Nice Guy you are a truely wicked man...love it!!:rofl::rofl:

Aah, i see meine frau ( j19fmm ) has been logged in as me again ;)

CAN2NZ Jun 21st 2008 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 6486189)
Except you failed geography - it's Rhode Island red. (A state in the USA)

More like fingers typing independently of mind, but thanks for your helpful hint. I have been to Rhode Island a number of times and so know how to get there.

TeamEmbo Jun 22nd 2008 9:40 pm

Thanks again everyone. OH made some alterations to the coup this weekend and has added a wooden sliding door to one of the nesting boxes to make it nice and dark. Didn't stop the dawn chorus tho, so Sunday he added a 'false ceiling' to that nesting box to restrict the cockerel's head height and those two combined seem to have done the trick!

Still woke at stupid o'clock this morning tho to listen out for him to see if he was gona crow or not! :blink: but didn't hear a peep out of him :thumbsup:

Dave n Ann Jun 23rd 2008 4:20 am

YEAH!:thumbsup:

le plumber Jun 23rd 2008 11:10 am

hmmmmmmmmm, Coq au Vin - my favorite!!!

Pinkie Pie Jun 24th 2008 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 6492953)
Thanks again everyone. OH made some alterations to the coup this weekend and has added a wooden sliding door to one of the nesting boxes to make it nice and dark. Didn't stop the dawn chorus tho, so Sunday he added a 'false ceiling' to that nesting box to restrict the cockerel's head height and those two combined seem to have done the trick!

Still woke at stupid o'clock this morning tho to listen out for him to see if he was gona crow or not! :blink: but didn't hear a peep out of him :thumbsup:

Congratulations...glad to hear you've put a stop to the dawn chorus...:rofl:

You've done the right thing restricting the head height - the trick with stopping roosters early morning crowing is that you have prevent them from stretching out their necks and throwing their heads back in order to cockadoodledo and restricting their head height does just this...:thumbup:

It may seem a bit cruel but it's not half as cruel as waking up your neighbours at daft o'clock every day!!...:D