British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Early Morning Cock Problem... Help Needed! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/early-morning-cock-problem-help-needed-543845/)

TeamEmbo Jun 19th 2008 6:16 am

Early Morning Cock Problem... Help Needed!

Got your attention? Good. Really simple. Got 5 chickens. Only now they've grown, one isn't. It's a cockerel and its early morning crowing is driving me nuts :curse:. No complaints from neighbours... yet, but expect there will be soon!

Has anyone got any ideas that will work to either lessen the noise or stop him crowing till a more reasonable time of morning?

(OH has already suggested stock pot)

I don't really want to get rid of him as they're the kids chooks and they're actually really happy one's turned out to be male - they keep checking the coop for baby chickies :wub:

BEVS Jun 19th 2008 6:57 am

Re: Early Morning Cock Problem... Help Needed!

No ideas at all but :eek: and :lol:

It certainly got my attention :sneaky:

zoej Jun 19th 2008 6:59 am

shut him inside the a coup at night. otherwise re-name him tika and threaten him!

CAN2NZ Jun 19th 2008 7:34 am

Have you heard the song that sounds sort of like an old country song?

It goes like this " Has anybody seen my cock? My big road island red. He stands straight up in the morning and gives my wife a shock. ...."

It is really funny.

P2L Jun 19th 2008 7:38 am

Hi Mandie

We had chooks when we were kids and they used to get shut in a VERY dark coop for the night. That should solve the problem, otherwise, I'm sure Mark will be talk of the smoko room by the end of next week :rofl::rofl:

TeamEmbo Jun 19th 2008 7:55 am

Thanks guys. The fattest chook is already called Vinny (short for vindaloo)!
They do get shut in at night but the coup's quite big (like a shed) and its got like a chicken wire 'window' at the top so me thinks we need to cover that somehow to keep it dark.

I did google for solutions. Aparently the City of York suggested putting a sock over the cockerel's head!!! No animal lovers on that council then :rofl:

And no CAN2NZ - haven't heard that song! Sounds funny tho - where can I get hold of it?

Thanks for advice so far :thumbup:

Possum Chaser Jun 19th 2008 8:51 am

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 6481529)
Thanks guys. The fattest chook is already called Vinny (short for vindaloo)!
They do get shut in at night but the coup's quite big (like a shed) and its got like a chicken wire 'window' at the top so me thinks we need to cover that somehow to keep it dark.

I did google for solutions. Aparently the City of York suggested putting a sock over the cockerel's head!!! No animal lovers on that council then :rofl:

And no CAN2NZ - haven't heard that song! Sounds funny tho - where can I get hold of it?

Thanks for advice so far :thumbup:

You could try stretching its neck, it would shut him up.

Not very helpful i know, but someone had to say it :D

CAN2NZ Jun 19th 2008 9:48 am

It is a funny song, I just googled it, but I didn't get a music file, just title and artist. It is really about a chicken, but it may not be, it has lots of double entondre (sp?)

CAN2NZ Jun 19th 2008 9:50 am

You guys must be running a virtual farm over there now. You should come over on Sunday afternoon and have a look at my vegie garden. It has lots of nice black soil, can I grow anything that isn't silverbeat right now?

TeamEmbo Jun 19th 2008 10:10 am

lol! would try any root veg, other than potatoes. i think last winter we grew silverbeet, cabbage, brocolli, cauliflower, onions. This year we've still got swedes and parsnips and onions in but aren't planting anymore yet as we're going to let the chooks clear the veg patch, then give it a good dig over and rest and will get going again in a few months.
will ask OH about Sunday as we have failing miserably in getting round to see you yet :o

julesnye Jun 19th 2008 2:05 pm

try hooding him at night

brussels_sprout Jun 19th 2008 3:32 pm

Premature ejaculation and penile dysfunctional can be very serious problems for men, oops , i misread the post, erm, well ...........

j19fmm Jun 19th 2008 6:50 pm

Was hoping for more from this thread but hey.......dark house might help and restricting headroom as they need to stretch neck to crow - problem if they're in a shed...would recommend the pot;)

Dave n Ann Jun 19th 2008 6:55 pm

I knew a guy years ago and he had the same problem in Battersea:curse:.
He watched his cock (sorry) every morning and finally decided if he raised the perch the cock stood on.....It wouldn't be able to strech fully before bonking its head on the upper floor of the coup.
Result.............. it didnt let rip a good one ever again.

I belive it worked....:confused:I left uni a week later and never saw him again.

lateral thinking...if you don't use a coup, maybe you'll have to tie a elastic band from lower beak to claw.... just a little to short?:rofl:

Off2NZ Jun 19th 2008 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dave n Ann (Post 6483428)
I knew a guy years ago and he had the same problem in Battersea:curse:.
He watched his cock (sorry) every morning and finally decided if he raised the perch the cock stood on.....It wouldn't be able to strech fully before bonking its head on the upper floor of the coup.
Result.............. it didnt let rip a good one ever again.

I belive it worked....:confused:I left uni a week later and never saw him again.

lateral thinking...if you don't use a coup, maybe you'll have to tie a elastic band from lower beak to claw.... just a little to short?:rofl:

My grandparents used to keep chooks when I was little and the answer is to have the cock's perch too high so that he can't stretch his neck, just like someone else mentioned. I used to sleep over theirs frequently and was never woken by the cock. Also they lived in a residential area and never had complaints from neighbours.

Hope that helps.