`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Driving standards in NZ

Originally Posted by peliqueria
Are they any better on the water
You're having a larf
Old Feb 12th 2012, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
It's not great!! Beside the road death toll we also have daily reports on the drowning toll. Like the roads, it's mostly down to 'macho' heroics; such as not wearing lifejackets and being generally irresponsible.

Drowning used to be known as the 'New Zealand Disease'.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10781119
I spend a lot of time beside the Thames and rarely see a lifejacket. It's startling actually.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 9:40 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Let me remind you of his name; Manu Tuilaga
Perfectly correct, a good English name..... Played rugby all of his life in England where he grew up. Gone are the days when Englisnmen were called Smith or Ramsbottom.....
Old Feb 12th 2012, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Perfectly correct, a good English name..... Played rugby all of his life in England where he grew up. Gone are the days when Englisnmen were called Smith or Ramsbottom.....

All his life, eh? Or just the bit after being an illegal immigrant who overstayed his holday visa.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

sparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond repute

just been on the maritime web site, no licence required and advised to try and avoid alcohol. Am off for a walk down the canal now,
Originally Posted by BEVS
You're having a larf
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

All his life, eh? Or just the bit after being an illegal immigrant who overstayed his holday visa.
Oh yeah 'coz every young person from Australasia wants to do that in the UK
Old Feb 12th 2012, 9:07 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Perfectly correct, a good English name....
You've been watching that Pub Landlord comedian.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 6:28 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is drifting.Better get the health and safety police in and issue hi-viz jackets all round.
If you don't like the water rules, don't go on a boat! Won't concern you then. This comment btw, is from a fisho who plays by the rules.....few as they are.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 6:56 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Getting back to driving standards, a friend of mine (an auto electrician) has the perfect answer to tailgaters

He has a switch on his dashboard which, when pressed, turns on the brake lights. If he gets 'gated, he pushes the button and hits the gas.

The confusion and look of panic is a joy to behold
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:44 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peliqueria
just been on the maritime web site, no licence required....
That is pretty much the same the world over, voluntary training only if anything at all....

Even in the UK you are breaking the law if you use a VHF radio without a licence but driving a recreational boat of normal size without a licence is the norm as no licence is required.

I can't think of anyone harmed/killed by using the wrong words on VHF....
Old Feb 13th 2012, 9:42 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Ramsbottom
You'll have to make me a better offer, I'm still flaccid .
Old Feb 13th 2012, 10:02 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
You'll have to make me a better offer, I'm still flaccid .
S'ppose it's a bit mundane to a Kiwi......
Old Feb 13th 2012, 6:57 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

I love New Zealand, I love Kiwis (the majority are very pleasant, at least the ones we've met) but I have to admit, the driving did shock us, and we're from Egypt where chaos and road rage are rife! It's more of a battlefield there than driving.

It's fine around Wellington and the Kapiti coast but on rural roads...

OH and I feel some people get some sadistic pleasure from tailgating you on the narrowest and most winding roads.

And the roads themselves are tiny and narrow as anyone who's been to Staglands from the Kapiti coast will know. How on earth do they expect 2 cars to drive through that?

A Kiwi told us it's a sort of machismo thing.

On the other hand, I can actually drive here (had stopped driving for years back in Egypt as I couldn't cope) most drivers are very considerate and courteous.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kija
A Kiwi told us it's a sort of machismo thing.

Nope, its not.

Its "I am a total and utter tosser behind the wheel because I know better than you and DID NOT NEED any driving lessons (virtually nobody does here in the land of the looooong endless car crash). Until recently I was allowed to drive shortly after my 5th birthday or theresabouts and driving over here is a bloody RIGHT mate not something you earn like in Europe. The authorities in NZ don't take driving seriously anyway so why should I? I don't need insurance and when I get pissed and drive (because I will) I can buy my licence back if I need it for my job. She'll be right mate. Oh, and the 400 or so deaths on our killing fields? Collateral damage mate. Sweet as."

Everything about driving and the way it is approached in NZ is utter and complete shite!! And to think it was a kiwi who split the atom. These days I don't think they could split a coconut.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 2:24 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kija
OH and I feel some people get some sadistic pleasure from tailgating you on the narrowest and most winding roads.
Fit a towbar, at best it deters this, at worst it moves the damage predominantly onto the tailgater in a natural-justice sort of way. If you do get rear-ended then it normally ensures they are undrivable due to radiator damage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.