Donkey visiting!

Old Nov 22nd 2006, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Donkey visiting!

Come on.... where are you?? I'm wanting to know how you got on..... grrr!!!!!
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 7:08 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Here they are!!!
They are just so gorgeous and tame - they just let you lift their feet and cuddle them! When we arrived they were at the far end of the field and they just trotted over to see us. The owners had been doing some asking around about us and luckily heard nice things! (Whew!) and are really happy for them to come live here - we said they could visit them whenever they wanted. So they are being floated over on Sunday! Can't wait!!
<----- this is me!
Attached Thumbnails Donkey visiting!-img_3486.jpg   Donkey visiting!-img_3495.jpg   Donkey visiting!-img_3487.jpg   Donkey visiting!-img_3490.jpg  
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
Here they are!!!
They are just so gorgeous and tame - they just let you lift their feet and cuddle them! When we arrived they were at the far end of the field and they just trotted over to see us. The owners had been doing some asking around about us and luckily heard nice things! (Whew!) and are really happy for them to come live here - we said they could visit them whenever they wanted. So they are being floated over on Sunday! Can't wait!!
<----- this is me!
Oh wow... arnt they gorgeous!! Which one is which as I see one is darker than the other?

I bet you cant wait til sunday!! Best get to the saddlers/tack shop quickly and buy yourself some brushes and a hoofpick etc, if you havnt already got some!

Im really pleased for you.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 7:24 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough the smaller one is the jack. They do need a wee bit of work done on their feet but our neighbour is a farrier. We're going to get some brushes and halters for them. Their winter coats are coming out so they would love a brush!

Thanks Sarah! We're really thrilled.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Let them settle in for a day or two then get their feet sorted as soon as you can get the farrier to come round. Its not comfortable to have feet that need trimming. Did you ask if they are fed any hard feed in the winter or do they just have hay? They look like they have plenty of condition on them anyway... are you sure she isnt pregnant?? lol. I wish I lived closer and could come to say hi to them.

I always used to buy one of those plastic boxes with a handle in the middle for a grooming kit... like the ones you can put your house cleaning products into. Youll probably need a body brush, mane and tail comb, hoofpick, dandy brush and maybe a plastic curry comb. Youre right, they'll enjoy being brushed if they are moulting.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 7:41 am
A land far far away

Im making a list from your post!
She may be pregnant - they think she might be as she has just started putting on weight - I would just love it if she was! Our neighbour said he'll do their feet whenever we want, they dont look like they need too much done - I was looking at pictures of ones with their hooves all curled up and they are NOTHING like that.

As far as food goes they didnt say - we can ask them though - just now they have the grass, and some treats! But they said to get a salt lick.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Ive never kept a donkey so no idea if they need hard feed in winter or not. As they look in good condition already Id ask the owners and do the same.... it will only be a scoop of chaff and pony nuts I should think if they do. If so then you will need to buy a couple of small mangers (proper horse mangers not buckets, as can get feet stuck in bucket handles). Black dustbins with lids are great for keeping feed in...keeps vermin out. If youre going to the tack shop anyway buy a wormer, I think I read that donkeys use the same wormers as horses do. You will need to know the weight of the donks before worming them as its done by weight... if you buy a syringe youll probably be able to get the 2 doses from the one syringe.

Prepare for winter over the summer months. I know donkeys definately need shelters, they come from hot climes and their coats cant take wind and rain. Get a good load of hay in over the summer... I noticed somebody here had cut some hay the other day and was letting it dry in the field. If they have a shelter then maybe some straw to go down onto the floor for them.

Doesnt sound like their feet are too bad at all. Do they take Pony Size headcollars?.... youll need a lead rein for each of them... remember to always tie the lead reins to a piece of string and not straight onto a fence or ring.... the string will snap if under pressure so donks dont get harmed.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:11 am
A land far far away

Thanks loads Sarah, just tried to give you sme Karma but was told I need to spread it.

We store our other animal food in big bins. There is a stable /shelter in the field that we'll keep them in most of the time as its the one nearest to the house - so we'll make it nice for them The owners dad spent ages making a shelter for them ( they used to breed donkeys) and they never used it!! but at least we have something if they want it.

I dont know about the head collars - they look pony sized I'll ask at the vets - thats where they sell all that stuff up here - we're regulars there just now - our 19 year old cat has just been diagnosed with diabetes. ho hum!
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

No probs... glad you have got sorted and I hope they settle down really quickly.

What will you do if she has a donklet? Will you keep it??

A diabetic cat.... oh dear. My old cat was ill in her old age with a thyroid problem... getting pills into her was a joke... I tried every trick in the book.... but she learnt them all and didnt fall for it. In the end she wandered onto the road and got squashed... poor old moggy.

Let us know how the donks settle in and maybe take some more pics for us next week in their new home?
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:24 am
A land far far away

We will definitely keep it

Cat is getting insulin injections - 2 a day - my DH is a dentist so gives injections all the time - when he gave her one tonight she purred right through it - didnt even notice! Your poor Moggy
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:49 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Here they are!!!
<----- this is me!

Ahhhh, that's brilliant!!, I'm sure it will be a match made in heaven - and just in time for Nativity plays
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 4:13 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Are you planning on doing donkey rides in the BOP?

Attached Thumbnails Donkey visiting!-41936989_8af5908564.jpg  
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 5:46 pm
A land far far away

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
Are you planning on doing donkey rides in the BOP?

nah they're just going to veg in their field and have a lovely life of cuddles!
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 5:55 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

nah they're just going to veg in their field and have a lovely life of cuddles!
What about running a Expats "Donkey Derby"?

I know you take about 20 photo's of your donkey's in different running positions and we can have a Derby night at the races. Might take a while but oh what fun
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 7:17 pm
A land far far away

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
What about running a Expats "Donkey Derby"?

I know you take about 20 photo's of your donkey's in different running positions and we can have a Derby night at the races. Might take a while but oh what fun
I'll take the pics!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.