Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Does New Zealand have a 'Big Brother' culture?

Does New Zealand have a 'Big Brother' culture?

Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:54 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Does New Zealand have a 'Big Brother' culture?

New Zealand has a VERY big brother, it is called EFTPOS

NZ is almost a cashless society and use debit cards for nearly everything, including taxi fares,

That is why opening a bank account is easier here than in the UK as money laundering is not so easy here in NZ. So you can say it has its pros & cons.

We were in Scotland for most of Jan and it was amazing to use cash again. Must admit I really enjoyed Scotland.

Cheers
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:04 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Campbells
We were in Scotland for most of Jan and it was amazing to use cash again. Must admit I really enjoyed Scotland.

Cheers
takes a while to get used to eh? Pay for your coffee by card? I can't do that.......4 months later: you're doing it........
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yarpy
>>
We are lucky to live on a Hebridean island that is escaping the problems. We still have community and effective policing. However, problems are starting to creep in. Surveillance is not going to stem these problems - only record them for review and possible action. When we take the ferry accross to the mainland we return shocked with what we have found. .....Those who have made the move overseas invariably report an improved experience.
Don't see how NZ with its fairly similar crime rate to UK per head of population will be an improvement on a Hebridean Island where presumably you can still leave your door open?

On CCTV, you can bring it on for me - most anything non-violent that convicts criminals without implicating the innocent is fine by me - you haven't been reading Ben Elton's latest novel have you? That does portray the ultimate in a hellish surveillance society and is set in the Year 3000 and something. I think it's a long way off being unacceptable - just as Orwell's '1984' was a bit ahead of its time.

Interesting thread though - makes a change.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:28 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

New Zealand has a VERY big brother, it is called EFTPOS

NZ is almost a cashless society and use debit cards for nearly everything, including taxi fares,

That is why opening a bank account is easier here than in the UK as money laundering is not so easy here in NZ. So you can say it has its pros & cons.

Cheers
I wonder if that's the reason why so many Kiwis are up to their ears in debt?

There tends to be minimum purchase amounts here before you can use EFTPOS to pay for something, bit frustrating to actually have to carry around small change sometimes but it does make you think twice before buying some things on impulse.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:45 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

And other times you are screwed, such as

Went to see Bryan Ferry (ironically at ASB bank showground’s in Greenlane.

Stood in a hellish queue to get a beer and wanted to get a slice of pizza or something, nope that’s another queue and they don’t take EFTPOS, only cash. I don’t have any cash I tell the bar person can you give me cash out (a common EFTPOS option at nearly all shops), nope can’t do cash out.

Of course there is no ATM machine at the ASB showground’s so the best I managed was a packet of crisps.

Times like these when EFTPOS doesn’t work and hope to God that the event planners are not doing your daughters wedding.

I thought it was pathetic as the company selling the snacks must have paid a fortune for the stand at the concert and the mobile take away van outside has EFTPOS facility.

An example of when EFTPOS doesn’t work.

Not sure how Big Brother could tell I have had two Heineken’s and wanted to buy a slice of pizza

Last edited by Campbells; Feb 5th 2008 at 6:47 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

dash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud of

And other times you are screwed, such as

Went to see Bryan Ferry (ironically at ASB bank showground’s in Greenlane.

Stood in a hellish queue to get a beer and wanted to get a slice of pizza or something, nope that’s another queue and they don’t take EFTPOS, only cash. I don’t have any cash I tell the bar person can you give me cash out (a common EFTPOS option at nearly all shops), nope can’t do cash out.

Of course there is no ATM machine at the ASB showground’s so the best I managed was a packet of crisps.

Times like these when EFTPOS doesn’t work and hope to God that the event planners are not doing your daughters wedding.

I thought it was pathetic as the company selling the snacks must have paid a fortune for the stand at the concert and the mobile take away van outside has EFTPOS facility.

An example of when EFTPOS doesn’t work.

Not sure how Big Brother could tell I have had two Heineken’s and wanted to buy a slice of pizza
X-ray CCTV and Brain Wave sensing satellites linked directly to the Big Brother Nerve Centre for Paranoid earthlings! (Only kidding in case anyone is worried that is likely!!)
Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:24 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine

I thought 'revolving credit' mortgages were doing the job of keeping the population in a state of constant debt.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:40 am
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

There tends to be minimum purchase amounts here before you can use EFTPOS to pay for something, bit frustrating to actually have to carry around small change sometimes but it does make you think twice before buying some things on impulse.
Hows the debt situation in Oz, Nerine?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:23 am

Fine thanks! our money is still in NZ earning shed loads of interest.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:09 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

priceless!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:16 am
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Fine thanks! our money is still in NZ earning shed loads of interest.
I wasn't being personal! Just wondered what the big picture on personal debt was like in Oz!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
priceless!
It wasn't that funny!

Yotty, I've no idea what it's like in Oz, use google to find out.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:36 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I've no problem with CCTV because it does help catch the wrongdoers - it doesn't protect the victims though. After that, I do have a problem - I suppose I mainly associate it with the US - the assumption that everyone is guilty until proven innocent and is treated accordingly.

The reason the whole world is suffering a recession at the moment is because of the availability of easy credit - Jeez! NZ is only in the halfpenny place in comparison to some countries!