Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Does New Zealand have a 'Big Brother' culture?

Does New Zealand have a 'Big Brother' culture?

Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Yarpy has a spectacular aura aboutYarpy has a spectacular aura aboutYarpy has a spectacular aura about
Default Does New Zealand have a 'Big Brother' culture?

My wife and I did a tour of New Zealand a couple of years ago. We decided to stay in Britain and moved from London to a remote part due to family ties and because we found an okay school. However, things are changing in out little corner too and we are starting to feel uneasy again.

What we really find hard to stomach is the ever encroaching surveillance culture. We detest endless CCTV, automatic number plate recognition, fingerprinting our children in schools, ID cards, speed cameras, dodgy databases etc. etc. It really has gone over the top and our lives don't feel private anymore.

Have these cultures spread to New Zealand? Does the New Zealand Government snoop on the people? Do they have plans for ID cards? Do they fingerprint people for passports?

We don't want to go from the frying pan to the fire. However, we found NZ and the Kiwis to be delightful and our children (aged three and five) are young enough for a complete new start. Also we have work qualifications on the skills list so it might all be possible.

But please, no more Big Brother!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does New Zealand have a 'Big Brother' culture?

there is a big 'Bro' culture.....
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:10 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Awwww.....I was going to say that!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:11 pm

plummyscum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yarpy
My wife and I did a tour of New Zealand a couple of years ago. We decided to stay in Britain and moved from London to a remote part due to family ties and because we found an okay school. However, things are changing in out little corner too and we are starting to feel uneasy again.

What we really find hard to stomach is the ever encroaching surveillance culture. We detest endless CCTV, automatic number plate recognition, fingerprinting our children in schools, ID cards, speed cameras, dodgy databases etc. etc. It really has gone over the top and our lives don't feel private anymore.

Have these cultures spread to New Zealand? Does the New Zealand Government snoop on the people? Do they have plans for ID cards? Do they fingerprint people for passports?

We don't want to go from the frying pan to the fire. However, we found NZ and the Kiwis to be delightful and our children (aged three and five) are young enough for a complete new start. Also we have work qualifications on the skills list so it might all be possible.

But please, no more Big Brother!
What do you have to hide then?

Seriously though - totally agree - another reason to foxtrot oscar ASAP from the UK.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:26 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh give NZ time - it will catch up.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:37 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
Oh give NZ time - it will catch up.
already have controversy over the use of anti-Terror laws to "victimise" certain "groups".........
just do a Google on "Tame Iti" and "Terrorism Suppression Act" - you'll see where we are headed.
but CCTV coverage in NZ is pretty scant and most operators dont know how to use it evidentially (in my limited experience)
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

The NZ authorities know most everything about you as you will realise when you fill in the forms for your visas.
At the moment I'd say there's less cctv but the population is much lower. If you are looking to 'go back in time' a bit, then it probably is a good choice.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:48 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

There is quite a bit of database based info on you and your vehicles, seems LTNZ know everything, as I found out when my road user charge (deisel tax) ran out, and I tried to blag a couple of hundred Ks.:embaressed_smile:
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 12:35 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

CCTV has just been installed in Woolworth, Nelson.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:08 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
CCTV has just been installed in Woolworth, Nelson.
were you trying to make off with 1kg of pik'n'mix??
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

dash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lardyl
already have controversy over the use of anti-Terror laws to "victimise" certain "groups".........
just do a Google on "Tame Iti" and "Terrorism Suppression Act" - you'll see where we are headed.
but CCTV coverage in NZ is pretty scant and most operators dont know how to use it evidentially (in my limited experience)
There is quite a bit of CCTV in strategic locations where crimes are expected, ie banks, shops etc...

And there are people that can analyse it following an incident. My company analyses and enhances CCTV images in NZ...

But if you've nothing to hide..... no problems...

Old Feb 2nd 2008, 3:34 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by dash1965
There is quite a bit of CCTV in strategic locations where crimes are expected, ie banks, shops etc...

And there are people that can analyse it following an incident. My company analyses and enhances CCTV images in NZ...

But if you've nothing to hide..... no problems...

agreed, I find it really useful for work.
What I have found though is that people who should know how it can help them in their work are loathe to get hold of it at an early stage.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

dash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud of

agreed, I find it really useful for work.
What I have found though is that people who should know how it can help them in their work are loathe to get hold of it at an early stage.
Just PM'd you.....
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:05 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by dash1965
Just PM'd you.....
Ta m8ty
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

Ta m8ty
Add a 0 to the end of the number I pm'd you...

Sorry... typin t fst...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.