Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Devils advocate....??

Wikiposts

Devils advocate....??

Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Devils advocate....??

Wow, just read the entire thread...what a debate I guess it's a good thing that you're aware that NZ isn't necessarily cheap, too many people do seem to imagine that everything is cheaper here and that they'll be well off by UK standards...and then are shocked when they struggle. But that's largely down to a lack of research, and no one can accuse you of that

Having read all your postings I'm sure that you can make it work..it's not always going to be easy, but that's true for everyone emigrating, and in fact with your experience of moving around so much in the past I reckon that you'll be better prepared than most.

In terms of building up essential furniture and stuff when you get out here have a look around for auction houses as well. We've got a great weekly auction here in Rotorua, a lot of the stuff is, well, not to my particular taste, but they have loads of 2nd hand furniture going for a song, and we've bought ladders & garden equipment there to replace the things that we didn't bring over with us. Don't know if they have the equivalent in Whangarei, but worth checking out if they have.

I really admire your attitude, and really hope that it works out for you all.

Last edited by Tomsk; Apr 28th 2009 at 8:59 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:43 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

A big from me. I see nothing wrong with your figures - if anything you're erring on the side of caution. My friend rents out a 2 beddie in Whangarei for $190 a week so I can't see you having a problem renting for less than $300. I love Whangarei and we'd seriously consider moving there if my husband didn't hate humidity so much

Hopefully by the time you're ready to leave the UK the job market will have picked up - it's not as if you're coming next week

Everyone will have a different opinion on what you 'should' be doing but only you know what works for your family. Good luck
Old Apr 28th 2009, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
It's easy enough to find these things out for yourself, keep up with the news and facts, rather than inferring what I say is lies.

Whilst we're talking of lies, I suggest people saying the weather in Whangarei in winter is equivalent to summer in the UK should check the facts, since that it is indeed stretching the truth beyond the reasonable realms of yeah right, whatevvar, bullshit!!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...s-to-lose-jobs
Keep your hat on Bo, your the one talking about lies, not me. I wasn't inferring you were lying. I did however suspect your opinion came from the media and it seems I was right. I just wondered if you had any actual facts or experience with the particular govt departmment I was referring to.

It's my job to find those things out and try to resolve them.

I know how swamped with work, understaffed and underpaid one govt department is (especially in the Northern Region) and believe me they are facts I deal with every day.

By the way do you actually live in Whangarei or further north ?

Hope you are settled wherever you are.

Last edited by Bellasmum; Apr 28th 2009 at 12:17 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 1:21 pm
Banned

Rezza is a jewel in the roughRezza is a jewel in the roughRezza is a jewel in the roughRezza is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kazmac72
Rental of a 3 bed house approx $200 - $300 week / we have 4 children
Take a look on trademe's property section and see the quality of 3 bed rentals you can get for that amount of money.

Originally Posted by whitesand
Even outside of Auckland, I'm not sure you would be able to rent a three-bedroomed house for $200-300 a week? Remember, also that your starting-up rental would be approximately five-six weeks' rent up front!
I'd echo that advice.

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
To the OP - best of luck, your figures look realistic and I love your attitude. We often holiday near Whangarei because it is a beautiful area with good beaches and places to sail. If you want to be out of town, have a look at Ngunguru but my concern would be your kids would feel cut off.
Mine too.

As we all know living in a place and holidaying there are two completely different things.

Travelling any sort of distance for school/work is a bind especially on New Zealand's roads and petrol ain't cheap. Want a house near to a decent school? so does every other family so be prepared to pay for it.

Rentals in Ngunguru? you may just be able to afford a one bed beach hut for under $300. See Trademe for further details.

Originally Posted by Batty
A big from me. I see nothing wrong with your figures - if anything you're erring on the side of caution. My friend rents out a 2 beddie in Whangarei for $190 a week so I can't see you having a problem renting for less than $300. I love Whangarei and we'd seriously consider moving there if my husband didn't hate humidity so much
Yes but the OP has 4 kids, needs to work and send her kids to a school. She's not looking for a holiday home.

With reference to the beaches in Whangarei. All well and good with them being scenic an' all but, as someone's already said, you 'can't eat the scenery' which is just as well if you fetch up in Waipu and NZ's only oil refinery at Marsden Point.

IMHO You can do a lot better in NZ than Whangarei.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 2:41 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rezza
Yes but the OP has 4 kids, needs to work and send her kids to a school. She's not looking for a holiday home.

Who said anything about a holiday home?

It makes me laugh (not) that people think their opinions are the only valid ones - there's nothing wrong with Whangarei for thousands of people and it strikes me that the OP will quite happily settle anywhere she goes.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 3:59 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

From what I'm reading, and happy to be corrected, is that the people who either live or have lived in the Northland area ( or Whangarei for this thread) are saying they really like it.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 4:07 pm
Banned

Rezza is a jewel in the roughRezza is a jewel in the roughRezza is a jewel in the roughRezza is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Batty
Who said anything about a holiday home?
Try finding a something for under $300 in Ngunguru that isn't a bach.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 4:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
From what I'm reading, and happy to be corrected, is that the people who either live or have lived in the Northland area ( or Whangarei for this thread) are saying they really like it.
Or that don't live there and find it too humid?
Old Apr 28th 2009, 4:46 pm
By name and by nature

Or that don't live there and find it too humid?
My husband is a Kiwi from Wellington and finds everywhere north of Hamilton too humid.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

kazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nice

Morning everyone...

Sorry for causing such a heated debate

When the hubby was in the army, we had the privilege to live all over the UK, from Dorset to just outside Blackpool, and when he came out we moved to his home town of South Shields.... so we are very aware of what sort of area Whangarei might be because it is a holiday area.

I just can't understand why some people have such a downer on the area... according to my research, Whangarei is the fourth safest community in NZ, beaten only by Waitakere, Waimakariri and New Plymouth, and the 98th safest in the world.... surely thats a great reason to want to settle there?
Coupled with the better weather (which is a major factor in our decision), the great beaches, the diving, the excellent schools, the friendly community and well, it has everything a civilised society needs to survive.

At the end of the day, people are bound not to like our choice, call us naive, whatever.... people don't like Leeds.... I do.... some dislike South Shields, but I like it.... everyone is different. If we were all the same it would be boring.... if we decide that Whangarei is not for us after a few years, then we will move.... but we have this thing, which for me probably comes from being a pads brat, then marrying a soldier... basically, what matters most is your happiness and family and where you live is just geography.... we just want to make the view for us prettier, the weather better and the way of life more laid back.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Try finding a something for under $300 in Ngunguru that isn't a bach.
Have you looked on trademe? There are load of 3+ bedroom properties on there in the Whangarei area for less than $300 per week. Whether they would meet the criteria the typical unhappy migrant wants, ie brick, DG, gas CH, walking distance to a Tesco supermarket et etc I'm not so sure. But the OP seemed to want to live like an average kiwi family on an average kiwi income and I think this should be perfectly achievable.

I only suggested Ngunguru because I know it's a really nice spot. There is this place on trademe ($320pw but I'm sure they'd negotiate):
4 bedroom house with 1 bathroom.

Located just before Ngunguru township , you will find this lovely 4 bedroom home. It has been set up with an 8 port hub internet network and has a freeview receiver as well. Easy care grounds and a double carport complete the picture. Available sooner by negotation. Call us now to inspect !!!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Pr...-214833216.htm
Old Apr 28th 2009, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kazmac72
Morning everyone...

Sorry for causing such a heated debate

When the hubby was in the army, we had the privilege to live all over the UK, from Dorset to just outside Blackpool, and when he came out we moved to his home town of South Shields.... so we are very aware of what sort of area Whangarei might be because it is a holiday area.

I just can't understand why some people have such a downer on the area... according to my research, Whangarei is the fourth safest community in NZ, beaten only by Waitakere, Waimakariri and New Plymouth, and the 98th safest in the world.... surely thats a great reason to want to settle there?
Coupled with the better weather (which is a major factor in our decision), the great beaches, the diving, the excellent schools, the friendly community and well, it has everything a civilised society needs to survive.

At the end of the day, people are bound not to like our choice, call us naive, whatever.... people don't like Leeds.... I do.... some dislike South Shields, but I like it.... everyone is different. If we were all the same it would be boring.... if we decide that Whangarei is not for us after a few years, then we will move.... but we have this thing, which for me probably comes from being a pads brat, then marrying a soldier... basically, what matters most is your happiness and family and where you live is just geography.... we just want to make the view for us prettier, the weather better and the way of life more laid back.
I think you are being very objective kazmac.

We all have our opinions, some even have experience of living in and around Whangarei but you may well find it quite different again.

And you are right if it turns out not to be for you you will only find out if you try.

I would certainly caution anyone on making decisions on some of the views from afar that get posted in here. I am amazed at how parochial things can get in here.

There are losts of nice areas just outside of Whangarei, some quite rural and some near to the east/west coasts.

http://www.whangareinz.com/livework/..._in_whangarei/

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cate...0000&144=75000

http://www.northlandnz.com/livework/...garei_district

HTH

Last edited by Bellasmum; Apr 28th 2009 at 6:51 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

kazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nice

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Have you looked on trademe? There are load of 3+ bedroom properties on there in the Whangarei area for less than $300 per week. Whether they would meet the criteria the typical unhappy migrant wants, ie brick, DG, gas CH, walking distance to a Tesco supermarket et etc I'm not so sure. But the OP seemed to want to live like an average kiwi family on an average kiwi income and I think this should be perfectly achievable.

I only suggested Ngunguru because I know it's a really nice spot. There is this place on trademe ($320pw but I'm sure they'd negotiate):
4 bedroom house with 1 bathroom.

Located just before Ngunguru township , you will find this lovely 4 bedroom home. It has been set up with an 8 port hub internet network and has a freeview receiver as well. Easy care grounds and a double carport complete the picture. Available sooner by negotation. Call us now to inspect !!!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Pr...-214833216.htm
Aaaaah lovely... I can imagine getting up on a morning, pouring a cuppa to wake me up and walking out onto the decking to take in the fresh morning air and the gorgeous views... at the moment we pour a cuppa, go into the back garden and feed the fishies in the pond, which don't get me wrong, is great, but give me those views any day!!!

Great choice and just the sort of thing we are looking for
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Devils advocate....??

Go for it! You have your facts right and you are being very realistic about your income needs and what it takes for you to be OK. At least you have done your homework and know what kind of lifestyle will be realistic for you. I bet that moving around due to your OH's army career has given you a good understanding about what is important in a home and in life in general. You have already dealt with the most important questions by defining what you want from life in NZ and defining the sort of lifestyle you can have there and figuring out what it takes from you to move there.

In general, NZ seems to be a society designed for working parents (low wages, kindergarten system paid by the oh-so-cursed high taxes -sounds so familiar to me as a Scandinavian/Northener), and at least the original poster has understood that and doesn't think she can have all the luxuries in the world with just one person earning. Most importantly she's willing to change her lifestyle to fit the norms of the country she wants to move in, and that's in my opinion where most of the people ending up hating NZ have failed to do.