A Costly Mistake

Old Aug 10th 2010, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Costly Mistake

Originally Posted by cappuccino
A funny story related to bringing fruit and unwanted items in to NZ... When my friends emigrated here 5 years ago, they were pulled aside by customs saying that there were apples detected in their luggage according to the x-ray (not the dogs tho!). They were made to unpack and pull out the offending items. No, they weren't apples but juggling balls in the shape of breasts with nipples which must have looked like apples on the scanner!! Unbeknown to my friends, these 'unwanted items' had been put in their case by a joker of a relative
Great story lol !!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 3:40 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
As you say other countries are very strict too, I've heard of people in the Middle East...
For zero sense of humour try taking liqueur chocolates into Saudi (not me), not pretty to watch and has some truly serious potential consequences far beyond a fine - and for less good reasons IMHO.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirl
He will enjoy his holiday to some extent as we felt obliged to cough up the $400!!!!!
Oh what a womderful gesture! I think to be honest that if they had huge posters at the entrance with hand luggage with pieces of fruit in them which said this apple will cost you $400 BETTER CHECK YOUR BAG NOW Or something to that effect i feel this would jog peoples memories maybe...
Old Aug 11th 2010, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by simonsi
For zero sense of humour try taking liqueur chocolates into Saudi (not me), not pretty to watch and has some truly serious potential consequences far beyond a fine - and for less good reasons IMHO.
And that poor lady at Dubai a few years who got arrested for trying to take her pescription medicine in without which she would have had a siezure or something similar? (or maybe it wasn't quite that dramatic an illness but I remember thinking that was pretty bad luck!).

On the note of medicines being allowed in (or not as the case may be), I have diligently binned all my Sudafed which I understand is now a banned substance due to all 4 million odd people mashing it down to make illiegal drugs (words from our New Zealand friend not mine!) - a great shame as it massively helps my hayfever
Old Aug 11th 2010, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cally49
Oh what a womderful gesture! I think to be honest that if they had huge posters at the entrance with hand luggage with pieces of fruit in them which said this apple will cost you $400 BETTER CHECK YOUR BAG NOW Or something to that effect i feel this would jog peoples memories maybe...
Yes that would be a good idea but don't think it will happen or they wouldn't be able to collect as much revenue would they!!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 8:20 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that there may have been an element of revenue raising in this Shirl.

Not so long ago the fine was $200
http://asouthernmigration.wordpress....o-new-zealand/