A Costly Mistake

Old Aug 7th 2010, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: A Costly Mistake

On my last flight, I discovered in the luggage hall that one of my kids had brought a bottle of water off the plane with him which had been given to him on the plane...wasn't sure whether this was ok or not...(had to dump water etc at UK end so assumed probably not) so I dumped it in the bin in full view of airport staff.

Fining tourists who have done it innocently must leave a very bad taste...an awful lot for that 'Kiwi hospitality' to have to make up ground for.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: A Costly Mistake

It's really not clear what you can keep and what you have to bin. We got so worried about it we chucked some beautiful honey we'd bought for my MiL only to be told that it would have been fine because it was sealed! Ah well....
Old Aug 7th 2010, 6:21 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Disagree with most of you, NZ for whatever reasons are very very strict on what you can or cannot bring in, if you are visiting or moving to a country find out whhat your allowed to bring with you. Surely that is just basic common sense. An apple here is valium in Malaysia, no sympathy at all and if your in doubt tell them what your worried about. We havn't been sure about lots of things (cat food, chocolates, snacks,fruits and treats) so we asked and got replies each time. There are so many signs coming in here that ......
Old Aug 7th 2010, 6:22 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londonescapee
It's really not clear what you can keep and what you have to bin. We got so worried about it we chucked some beautiful honey we'd bought for my MiL only to be told that it would have been fine because it was sealed! Ah well....
Why didn't you ask ?
Old Aug 7th 2010, 8:33 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

You lot are harsh!

I feel for the OP's friend- after that long flight it's really easy to forget about an apple or whatever. Given it's clearly not a deliberate attempt to breach biosecurity why can't they have a $50 fine? We've had the beagle sniff out an apple on us before and we just had it removed from us. $400 is mental.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
It's the total randomness of the fines that is annoying. I have seen many people pounced on by the beagles, last time I was in the airport an old dear was found to have a banana in her suitcase and it was just laughed off as a silly mistake. The banana was in her suitcase, not her hand luggage!! Shoving a piece of fruit in your handbag is an easy mistake, packing a banana in your suitcase, begs the question, why on earth would you?

I would far rather they charged everyone $100, instead of the random process of charging some people $400 and others nothing. I guess it depends on whether your face fits and the mood of the official on the day. $400 is a lot of money and I think the airlines could be a bit more vigilant and at least remind passengers before they land.

Who reads all the signs on arrival at an airport? There's a million and one other distractions and usually one is focussed solely on how to get out of there as quickly as possible, following only the signs for Duty Free, Arrivals and Baggage reclaim.
I couldn't agree more. Makes it worse when you don't read English really well either. Jobsworths!
Old Aug 7th 2010, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nelsonpom
Why didn't you ask ?
Cause after 30 hours of travelling you have to actually remember that you have not eaten your little apple in the bottom of your bag when you are totalling disorientated flying through all the times zones and speaking German. It's a shame there are not signs in all languages! It is such an easy mistake to make! Like the OP said it should be everyone gets fined a set amount or no one gets fined, not just random on how you feel on the day or else my poor wheat bag teddy would have cost me $400 instead of zilch. It is like saying oh I have woken up to day feeling shitty so lets pick on the apple people shall we! He had gone from Dresden to Berlin, Berlin to Singapore, to Sydney, to Christchurch - nightmare flight and the apple was imported from NZ in the first place!
Old Aug 7th 2010, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE= and the apple was imported from NZ in the first place![/QUOTE]

That is ironic. But I guess on the way it could have caught avian flu, regular flu, chimmney flu, swine flu, been contaminated with anthrax et al.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I work at the Port and the MAF people are paranoid about anything getting in it costs millions to clear up, but i cant see why he just wasn,t allowed to bin the apple it does seem a little harsh

Neil
Old Aug 7th 2010, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget you also have to tick off and sign the MAF card declaring what you have brough it etc.

Gill
Old Aug 7th 2010, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute

Same thing happened to my son and his wife coming back fromt he UK with theit one yr old who had a week of being violently ill they were knackered to put it lightly and had totally forgotten they had an apple in their bag fine was $250 (this was 3yrs ago) but to be honest i tht it was a bit stink and so did they i have seen all sorts of food items confiscated with just a warning on those border control programs i think to be honest it depends maybe on who you get at the border and what sort of mood they are in as to what happens which should not be the case.

Myself i came back from the Uk and the sniffer dog picked on me and wouldnt leave my bag alone the handler said have you had any fruit in your bag i said nope nothing and then remembered later that 2 weeks earlier i had indeed put a banana in my handbag to take to a course for my lunch i was amazed to see that picked up after 2 weeks they sure are smart dogs...
So yes i feel sorry for your friend maybe they should tell people at a checkpoint to check their bags for any food items they may have forgotten about it sounds a buit like revenue gathering to me a bit like the road traffic police maybe they are on some sort of quota lol...
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:01 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirl
Yes I hear what you are saying but I came in with a wheat bag teddy that you microwave to keep you warm and they just confiscated it and destroyed it! Why didn't they just destroy this one lonely little apple the same way!!
They're not consistent that's for sure. I too brought in a wheat bag teddy and they agonised over it for a while, talking about empying out the wheat and giving me back the teddy. Once they'd satisfied that the wheat was unlikely to be genetically modified they were ok with it - provided that when the time came to dispose of it it was burned and not sent to landfill.

It does look like it depends very much on who you get on the day.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:05 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nelsonpom
Disagree with most of you, NZ for whatever reasons are very very strict on what you can or cannot bring in, if you are visiting or moving to a country find out whhat your allowed to bring with you. Surely that is just basic common sense. An apple here is valium in Malaysia, no sympathy at all and if your in doubt tell them what your worried about. We havn't been sure about lots of things (cat food, chocolates, snacks,fruits and treats) so we asked and got replies each time. There are so many signs coming in here that ......
As you say other countries are very strict too, I've heard of people in the Middle East getting pulled up for having poppy seeds from bread rolls on their clothing and for carrying melatonin for jet lag.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all

Perhaps the scale of the fine is wether you have written/signed your customs decleration or not.

If you haven't signed it and you're caught = slap on the wrist

If you have signed it and you're caught = big fine, because you are trying to smuggle stuff in (in the eye's of the law)

Also it may depend of where the beagle sniffs you out.
I have been sniffed a few times at baggage collection which is way before the bio security zones so plenty of time to dispose of any fruit in the bins provided.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Don't forget you also have to tick off and sign the MAF card declaring what you have brough it etc.

Gill
Yes providing you understand the language in its entirety! Wonder how we would get on if we had to sign and declare stuff in German! Lots of words are lost in translation! Like what time do you stand up in the morning rather than what time do you get up in the morning lol!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.