Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of living v. Average wage

Cost of living v. Average wage

Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living v. Average wage

Originally Posted by Godeskian
That could be an interesting challenge to overcome then, as I might have a potential to earn that kind of money, but I'd rather plan for the lower end outcome than a higher end one.

My only relatives that I care about left in the UK are my parents. My siblings have all fled the UK before me to Canada, the US and the south of France respectively, and my parents reaction to me mentioning emigrating to NZ was, and I quote, 'about bloody time you got out of here'

Why am I driven to leave the UK? Not an easy question to answer without giving offense, but here goes.

The culture, the weather, the disintigration of the social contract, the defeatist attitude, the politics, the structure of the political system, the casual middle class racism, the classism, the veneration of mediocrity as fed through tabloids, the marginalisation of intellectual endeavour, the architecture, the l

There's plenty of other reasons, and yes I'm aware that many of these reasons are also issues I'll have in NZ, but not all of them I hope. And in my way of thinking, any time I can reduce the number of things giving me grief, I'm winning.
I left the UK because of the overcrowding, the stupid house prices and I wanted some adventure and a new start for Kate, myself and our young kids X 3. Been here 6 years and we have seen much change in NZ (for the worse I am afraid..Like most places) BUT we are still here and apart from my occasional whinge life is very, very good here for us. A big BUt is we are way older and we came with 20 years of UK housing equity..alas much of that has been lost due to a poor investment choice (by dumbo here) and spending up large on our house for the long term..easy come easy go eh? Mind you has to be said I miss much of the Uk like the british country side old pubs/building et al and I miss europe on my doorstep..can't have it all what?
Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

My two cents worth - come over, give it your best shot, make friends and have fun. If it doesn't work out at least you will have given it a try and you wont have anything to regret. For some it can be an expensive adventure that goes wrong, for others it works out better than they could ever have imagined.

I'm partially in the happy clappy group, but I have my moments of misery too, but that's mostly due to work, the work ethic and the people I work/have worked with. If I win the lottery, I will give up work and just enjoy life here!
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:12 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a ditto - you mentioned in an earlier post that you are adaptable and have no set ideas on where or style of life - so make the leap of faith and try it. Worst case you have a working holiday and do a bit of water sports in the process. Especially if you're single and in your 30s - you really have very little to be concerned about (I say this only coming as a family unit out here not knowing if it was going to work). But keep an open mind - often those people that come out here "escaping" something aren't always successful in settling - it's far better to have a pioneering spirit of trying something because it's different.