Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of living v. Average wage

Cost of living v. Average wage

Old Feb 21st 2011, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Godeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really nice
Default Cost of living v. Average wage

Hi All,

I'm doing the phase 1 pre-planning for emigrating to NZ, and one of the problems I'm running into is an inconsistency between official reports regarding the cost of living versus the wage scale, and the unofficial comments from people regarding said comparison.

Also, I am utterly unable to find an average wage by sector breakdown for NZ.

As I'm sure you can imagine, this is introducing real uncertainty into the process for me. I'm convinced that I can get a job given my volume of experience in my field as an IT manager and high end technical support analyst, but what I'd like from the kind folks here is some answers to the following.

1. How does the pay match up to base living costs.
2. How much difference does suburban and commute living make versus living in one of the big cities (Auckland or Wellington)
3. How does base cost of living compare to being in say the outer ring of London base cost of living. Because I already live in one of the higher costs of living places in the UK.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

kenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Cost of living v. Average wage

How much are you thinking you will earn as a wage?
Thats a good point to start.
How many of there are you, and where do you intend living?
Its not a simple answer I am afraid.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Godeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really nice

I Believe that I can probably earn a minimum of 40k nzd, and probably a maximum of 60k given my research on job boards and websites tracking median wages at my level in the IT sector.

I am coming by myself.

I'm remarkably unconcerned with where I specifically end up living, though it will probably have to be within commuting distance to either Wellington or Auckland given that most of the kinds of jobs I qualify for are in those areas.

I hope that helps provide illumination for my situation.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 5:49 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Godeskian
Hi All,

I'm doing the phase 1 pre-planning for emigrating to NZ, and one of the problems I'm running into is an inconsistency between official reports regarding the cost of living versus the wage scale, and the unofficial comments from people regarding said comparison.

Also, I am utterly unable to find an average wage by sector breakdown for NZ.

As I'm sure you can imagine, this is introducing real uncertainty into the process for me. I'm convinced that I can get a job given my volume of experience in my field as an IT manager and high end technical support analyst, but what I'd like from the kind folks here is some answers to the following.

1. How does the pay match up to base living costs.
2. How much difference does suburban and commute living make versus living in one of the big cities (Auckland or Wellington)
3. How does base cost of living compare to being in say the outer ring of London base cost of living. Because I already live in one of the higher costs of living places in the UK.

Any help would be appreciated.
The only comparisons that are worth anything are the ones you make. I find it great but I'm sure I have a different lifestyle to the one you would want, different costs etc etc... Search for online supermarkets to get a feel for food costs (as far as you can without being here to see specials etc), look on trademe and realestate.co.nz for housing costs, seek and trademe for job adverts (although you've done that it seems.

How many planning phases are you having you may find a flexible attitude is worth more in settling abroad, have you worked outside the UK before? Outside London (the entertainment opportunities are very different to London)....
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:05 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

As simonsi said it is a very personal thing when you get to cost of living, and depends entirely on what you value and your style of living, ie eating out, theatre visits, holidays, drinking, are you beans on toast each night or steak and chips etc etc etc

Personally on the whole we found it expensive out here and continue to do so (been here nearly 6 years), however our income has increased making it easier the further along the journey we get. Our lives back in the UK of 3 holidays a year, eating out, visiting the theatre and "shopping for stuff" are a distant memory away.

To be really honest $40k is not a high salary and depending on what kind of property you would need you may find yourself commuting from quite a distance if, for instance, you needed to work in the centre of Auckland. I'm sure there will be lots of other helpful posts to follow - weigh up everything and do tonnes of research.

Worth also noting that the IT sector out here is extremely small and incestuous, I know of a number of IT professionals that have had to leave their families in NZ and head over to Aus for contract work in order to secure a job, doesn't mean the jobs aren't around just few and far between.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

it does as everyone else say above depend greatly on your own lifestyle
we have always found it easy to survive over here, that does again depend on where you live also. we are lucky that my husband is in a really well paid job so we have still managed our nice holidays abroad,nice house, clothes, hobbies etc
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

kenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the rough

I Believe that I can probably earn a minimum of 40k nzd, and probably a maximum of 60k given my research on job boards and websites tracking median wages at my level in the IT sector.

I am coming by myself.

I'm remarkably unconcerned with where I specifically end up living, though it will probably have to be within commuting distance to either Wellington or Auckland given that most of the kinds of jobs I qualify for are in those areas.

I hope that helps provide illumination for my situation.
Phew when I read 40K I thought if you are arriving with a family in tow and not a lot of spare in the bank........... dont do it!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simonsi
The only comparisons that are worth anything are the ones you make.
Sure, in an abstract sense you are absolutely right. But I'm a very pragmatic soul when you get right down to it.

Why is it that I can find all sorts of information but there is NO base cost of living to be found on New Zealand. For those who don't know, a BCL is what is required to rent or pay mortgage on accomodation, utilities, taxes and fees and comestibles.

It really shouldn't be this complicated to get that kind of figure.

Can a single person live of 40K in Auckland? Or Wellington? Or am I going to be living of Ramen and cans of tuna if I do so.

How many planning phases are you having
The same three I've had since the first time I emigrated (this will be my third time) Phase 1 is deciding to go and where, phase 2 is aquiring a means to earn a living there, and phase 3 is everything involved in the physical move of my property, bank accounts and non-domestic financial products.

you may find a flexible attitude is worth more in settling abroad, have you worked outside the UK before? Outside London (the entertainment opportunities are very different to London)....
Like I said, this isn't my first emigration, although I'll confess it seemed much easier years ago. I was actually head-hunted the first time. I find having a tried and tested structure to my life makes it, not less complicated, but less complex if that makes sense.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by P18PPS
To be really honest $40k is not a high salary and depending on what kind of property you would need you may find yourself commuting from quite a distance if, for instance, you needed to work in the centre of Auckland.
See, now this is immediately useful information. Okay, so I should be either aiming for a higher level of position, or accepting a longer commute. In mileage, what sort of commute would be required in Auckland?

Worth also noting that the IT sector out here is extremely small and incestuous, I know of a number of IT professionals that have had to leave their families in NZ and head over to Aus for contract work in order to secure a job, doesn't mean the jobs aren't around just few and far between.
Yeah, nothing I've found on wages suggest I'm going to be able to earn a decent living in my current speciality, but I'm willing to branch out.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kenpom
Phew when I read 40K I thought if you are arriving with a family in tow and not a lot of spare in the bank........... dont do it!
Oh i'd be arriving with nothing much to spare once all the emigration fees are paid and I've put a down-payment on a house in NZ, but really what choice do I have. If I go, I'm going to have to deal with the consequences of that.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 12:40 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

See, now this is immediately useful information. Okay, so I should be either aiming for a higher level of position, or accepting a longer commute. In mileage, what sort of commute would be required in Auckland?.
But this is where your lifestyle comes into it - if you don't mind a highrise 1 bed in the centre of town with no balcony then you may be able to be in the centre of town and do without a car - see trademe for cost of apartments. If however you want a small unit then a bit further out, if you want the cafe lifestyle then it will cost you more again.

Foodtown, Countdown, New World, Pac n Save - are the main supermarkets - not sure which but one does on-line shopping, so you'll be able to get an idea of your weekly consumables from there.
Trademe.co.nz will have houses/flats for sale/rent so you can get an idea.
Trademe will also have vehicles so you can price up.

I think most single people on a $40k wage would be ok, assuming they cut their cloth according to their means.... but rich you will not be - but it is somewhere to start if living the dream over here is what you want.

Nobody moves to NZ to be rich though - it is definitely a lifestyle choice thing (cliche I know but true).

Last edited by P18PPS; Feb 24th 2011 at 1:44 am. Reason: additional info
Old Feb 24th 2011, 5:33 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Mate, I work as an engineer, (outside of my usual field) on a pretty much 40 hour week
I'm on 45-50, . Wife earns approx 15-20k.
We have a lifestyle similar to the one we left as regards social life.
We run a bike, a ute, a car and a boat.
Have sky, drink plenty, broadband.
Now, here's what you don't want to hear.....no rent or mortgage.

40-60......
Old Feb 24th 2011, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I think a mistake there in looking at average wages, an IT Manager would earn considerably more than $40k per year working full time in any of the major cities. $40k would be the salary of a data input clerk or something very junior.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-jo...y-guide/IT.htm according to this guide the lowest paid would be a Help Desk job at a median of $47k

The information is out there, you just got to do a lot of searching and read lots so that you get a good feel for what is realistic for you. Your earning potential may well take a step or two down the career ladder from where you are now in order to secure a job.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
We run a bike, a ute, a car and a boat.
Have sky, drink plenty, broadband.
Now, here's what you don't want to hear.....no rent or mortgage.

40-60......
show off!
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I think a mistake there in looking at average wages, an IT Manager would earn considerably more than $40k per year working full time in any of the major cities. $40k would be the salary of a data input clerk or something very junior.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-jo...y-guide/IT.htm according to this guide the lowest paid would be a Help Desk job at a median of $47k
Honestly? If I had to restart at the bottom of the rung as a 1st line helpdesk tech, I'd be okay with that if it got me over to NZ. Wouldn't be the first time I've had to go back to the bottom and work my way up, and I'm nothing if not enthusiastic and capable within my own field.

The information is out there, you just got to do a lot of searching and read lots so that you get a good feel for what is realistic for you. Your earning potential may well take a step or two down the career ladder from where you are now in order to secure a job.
Heh, I seem to be doing nothing but reading since I decided to do this. Ah well, love to learn.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.