Cost of living.

Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:46 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living.

Originally Posted by whitesand
If you've ever been flat-hunting in Auckland or even Dunedin, you'd understand what I mean. A real eye-opener!
I can imagine in Auckland, we couldn't afford to buy a house in auckland or Wellington in a good area like we have here in wanganui
Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:00 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

All those folks who think NZ is cheaper for rent and food mst be living somewhere I've never heard of!
So you live in NZ but you've never heard of CHRISTCHURCH? You know, south islands biggest city? Fair enough food is not cheaper, I think anyone would agree with that. But housing is good value for money and affordable IMHO. Since I am house hunting at the moment I have a good idea of what is around and I have been quite satisfied at what I've seen in our modest budget.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:02 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Its simple .... Fonterra! Its owned by the dairy farmers and has a virtual monopoly of the milk market.
I have my freezer stocked with Fonterra milk at the moment - cheaper and on offer
Old Feb 5th 2013, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's true, but there's still no excuse for the abysmal standard which prevails here. They wouldn't be allowed to get away with it in most places in the world.
So true!
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
So you live in NZ but you've never heard of CHRISTCHURCH? You know, south islands biggest city? Fair enough food is not cheaper, I think anyone would agree with that. But housing is good value for money and affordable IMHO. Since I am house hunting at the moment I have a good idea of what is around and I have been quite satisfied at what I've seen in our modest budget.
If you think housng is good value for money and affordable for most folks, then you're living in cuckoo land!
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

If you think housng is good value for money and affordable for most folks, then you're living in cuckoo land!
Doesn't quite ring true, eh?

'House seekers warn of exodus'

'Christchurch respondents said outrageous prices were forcing difficult decisions for many families.'

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/hous...exodus-5331732
Old Feb 5th 2013, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

siefish is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all, just wondering if any one could put my mind a rest ?? just in the process of emigrating to nz with a job offer ! been offered 70k a year and just need to no if a family of 3 could manage on this as my wife has no job as yet till we get there , ??? thanks
Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:04 pm
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

I'm in the same boat. The answer I have gathered is...yes, as long as you don't live in Auckland.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:18 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siefish
hi all, just wondering if any one could put my mind a rest ?? just in the process of emigrating to nz with a job offer ! been offered 70k a year and just need to no if a family of 3 could manage on this as my wife has no job as yet till we get there , ??? thanks
Yes, but it will be tight. You probably live within your means already as it is though.

Most people emigrate to NZ and consider NZ to be just great. Usually because they are earning the kind of salary that an average New Zealander can only aspire to.

As soon as an immigrant starts to live like a kiwi, that's when the shine starts to come off 'living the dream'. (An expression I find juvenile but hey)
Old Feb 6th 2013, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
I have my freezer stocked with Fonterra milk at the moment - cheaper and on offer
Cheaper than what?

Chips, Coke, crisps, potatoes, biscuits? I doubt it.
Cheaper than budget milk at Pak n Save or cheaper than the cheapest milk in the country at Nosh? $2.49 for 2 Litres
Old Feb 6th 2013, 2:53 am
She'll be right

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Doesn't quite ring true, eh?

'House seekers warn of exodus'

'Christchurch respondents said outrageous prices were forcing difficult decisions for many families.'

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/hous...exodus-5331732
Oh my gosh, it's in the media it must true!!!

Anyways, I'm getting a little bored of this. I'm done, off back to cuckoo land to enjoy the rest of Waitangi Day!

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Feb 6th 2013 at 4:02 am.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

Another comarison, in the uk last month my 3 PAYG sim card gave me 300 minutes, 3000 texts and unlimited data for £15
Here my telecom package gives me 60 minutes, unlimited texts and 500mb of data for $19
Have just seen an ad for Vodafone offering 400 mins, 5000 texts and 1.25Gb of data for $55
Since I don't use my phone for many calls the big difference is the data, I'd happily drop my minutes for unlimited data.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by siefish
Yes - 2 kids and on the same, but we do have to watch the pennies and we don't get much in the way of luxury consumables which (in my experience) cost more here.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 11:48 am
Just Joined

siefish is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi , thanks for your replys , so I guess the sooner my wife starts work the better bit of extra cash ! Would you say it's a better life in chch than the uk (for the kids) or are we going from bad to worse ? Thanks
Old Feb 6th 2013, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

What sort of life are you looking for? Everybodys different. Ive read people saying it doesnt always mean that it equals a better life for your kids.

It just depends on your circumstances really

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.