Cost of living.

Old Feb 4th 2013, 4:16 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living.

To me, meat in NZ is the same or slightly better than UK. The lamb here is excellent, so is the beef the steak, chicken, and pork.

Fruit and veg is the same as Britain i.e. good. Cheese in nz is excellent, IMO. Mainland brand cheese vintage cheddar is delicious. NZ Edam, Brie and camembert is lovely (I only buy this at Christmas, just like in Britain. Why ? It's just the way I am !)

I understand it's personal taste for everything. However, if you only ever shop at Waitrose you won't like any of the supermarkets in NZ ! I shop at Pak & Save and if I'm careful I can get all my fresh food and most of the rest of my groceries there too. If you live out your microwave on ready meals you're going to be disappointed. Take away food is ok in NZ, well, where I live anyway.

I mean, there's only six months of the year for barbeque weather, even in NZ.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Feb 4th 2013 at 4:21 am.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:07 am
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

Looking it up online our rent would be a bit more in ChCh and the same would be for food. We are a family of 5 and we spend £50 a week on food but then I am very canny with my shopping (but I only buy happy animal meat).
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Synky
We are a family of 5 and we spend £50 a week on food but then I am very canny with my shopping (but I only buy happy animal meat).
That's where you'll notice a vast difference, I doubt very much you'd be feeding your family of five on anything less than $150 pw being ultra frugal and you wouldn't be on the happy meat.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:16 am
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

Will plug that into the budget thanks. Is happy meat really that expensive? I'm not talking organic just a higher standard of animal welfare I.e. free range eggs.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
I don't really see the point in getting bogged down with small purchases like how much a pack of cheese is. Yeah OK, it's more expensive than the UK. However in NZ my rent is half the price, car insurance is half the price, the equivalent of council tax is much less so if a piece of cheese costs more money I think I can deal with it!
I am not bogged down as you say with the price of cheese. I just resent that in a island with a big dairy industry cheese is so expensive and poor quality.
Fortunatly I can afford to buy it but doesn't mean I have to like paying the price for it.
Of course your rent is half the price Christchurch/London what a comparrison.
Kaz
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:15 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babybella
I am not bogged down as you say with the price of cheese. I just resent that in a island with a big dairy industry cheese is so expensive and poor quality.
Fortunatly I can afford to buy it but doesn't mean I have to like paying the price for it.
Of course your rent is half the price Christchurch/London what a comparrison.
Kaz
Yep, I will agree with you there. I'm not sure why milk and cheese are expensive, I think it baffles most people here. I have found milk on offer at the local Dairy recently. Bought a few and have frozen them!

Aware Chch and London is not a fair comparison. I was just responding to another post telling me I was dreaming!
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Synky
Will plug that into the budget thanks. Is happy meat really that expensive? I'm not talking organic just a higher standard of animal welfare I.e. free range eggs.
There is one brand of eggs in Pack N Save I get which are about $5.79 for dozen, they are ungraded so all shapes colours and sizes. Free range chook is about $18 for a small one - other free range meat not readily available in the usual everyday supermarkets except the Freedom Farms Bacon which costs more than fillet steak.

http://shop.countdown.co.nz/?banner=...nge%26page%3D2

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Feb 4th 2013 at 8:23 am.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 2:31 pm
NZ wannabe

Actually that's about the same as eggs here. The chicken is way more though - good job I like lamb!
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by _0v0_
According to Google;

Average rent UK: GBP 712 per month.

Average rent NZ: NZD 260 per week (or GBP 130)

So, NZ a bit less.

So when one takes into account NZ/UK comparative earnings, affordability is probably the same in both places.
Have you ever really looked at the prices. and the standard of what you get for your money in NZ compared to what you get in the UK? It's disgraceful what they get away with here. For examlple, a crappy unheated, two-bedroom unit with a seventies kitchen plus a cooker from the op shop, would cost $420 dollars a week in Auckland. That's around £240! All those folks who think NZ is cheaper for rent and food mst be living somewhere I've never heard of!
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:37 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by whitesand
Have you ever really looked at the prices. and the standard of what you get for your money in NZ compared to what you get in the UK? It's disgraceful what they get away with here. For examlple, a crappy unheated, two-bedroom unit with a seventies kitchen plus a cooker from the op shop, would cost $420 dollars a week in Auckland. That's around £240! All those folks who think NZ is cheaper for rent and food mst be living somewhere I've never heard of!
Yes but your talking about Auckland!!!! you could say the same of London

We paid £550 every 4 weeks for a crapy two bedroom terrace tiny house in the midlands (not detached) 6 years ago, before we emigrated and bought a very nice house here thankyou

Last edited by love30stm; Feb 4th 2013 at 8:42 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Yes, that's true, but there's still no excuse for the abysmal standard which prevails here. They wouldn't be allowed to get away with it in most places in the world.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:43 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by whitesand
Yes, that's true, but there's still no excuse for the abysmal standard which prevails here. They wouldn't be allowed to get away with it in most places in the world.
Well not having rented here I wouldn't know, you get what you pay for I guess
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you've ever been flat-hunting in Auckland or even Dunedin, you'd understand what I mean. A real eye-opener!
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

The point is you don't!
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Yep, I will agree with you there. I'm not sure why milk and cheese are expensive, I think it baffles most people here........................
Its simple .... Fonterra! Its owned by the dairy farmers and has a virtual monopoly of the milk market.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.