Cost of living.

Old Feb 16th 2013, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living.

Of course, I could take the more risky route of bringing my £'s over and sending them back to the UK when the exchange rate drops below 1.5 ... 1.4 ... 1.3 ...
Old Feb 16th 2013, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

This is a stupid question, but could a person in the UK cashed up with £££'s just buy some gold and then sell it when they arrive in NZ?
Old Feb 16th 2013, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Funnily enough have been looking at property in the Orkneys, there are jobs in nursing there too. Are you still definitely coming to NZ??

PS could not afford to live in London even if I wanted to!! Would love the west country but summer would drive me NUTS!!!!!!
No not definitely, havent had a job offer (after the last one) and still not sure its the right choice, dont want to think "what if" though but at the same time dont want to have no money and feel regret at coming and being stranded. Hard one!

Orkney looks nice, i dont know about employment, just wouldnt of assumed there would be much work. I couldnt afford to live in london either or anywhere nearby. Its a fortune compared to scotland
Old Feb 16th 2013, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
This is a stupid question, but could a person in the UK cashed up with £££'s just buy some gold and then sell it when they arrive in NZ?
This post reminds me of all those cash for gold adverts/shops that we have here lol
Old Feb 16th 2013, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Ardern-crew is an unknown quantity at this point

I don' think you are negative, have you been back for a holiday? There are lots of areas for you to consider where there is a small/smaller population, and being a nurse you will be alright getting a job. I am going back to a lower wage, but i am certain we will be able to manage. The exchange rate for taking money back to the UK is Brilliant and with the 'recession' in the UK houses do a appear to be decent prices. Go for it, you may as well be somewhere you like and be unhappy there than be unhappy somewhere you don't like
Old Feb 16th 2013, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ardern-crew
I don' think you are negative, have you been back for a holiday? There are lots of areas for you to consider where there is a small/smaller population, and being a nurse you will be alright getting a job. I am going back to a lower wage, but i am certain we will be able to manage. The exchange rate for taking money back to the UK is Brilliant and with the 'recession' in the UK houses do a appear to be decent prices. Go for it, you may as well be somewhere you like and be unhappy there than be unhappy somewhere you don't like
Agree with this. Lots of areas you could consider in the UK, lots of countryside. Or what about certain parts of australia. I know you said your wife said its a no go with snakes but most people say they honestly arent a problem, a lot of people havent even saw one in the wild, same with spiders. I have family in melbourne and they've never mentioned snakes or spiders being a problem and thats after 8 years.

If the negatives are starting to outweigh the positives then thats not so good. House prices here are good, well in scotland and the north of england
Old Feb 16th 2013, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=TommyLuck;10548770]I don't see any reason to berate you. You might be negative at times but offer salient, personal reasoning as to why you think and feel what you do.

Cheers, some people do not like it when the truth be spoken. Nice to see some people like it how it is, all the best to you.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Genesis, with the way things are going here with the exchange rate, Europe is becoming more and more attractive to us. Was back there for a while and felt really unsettled when I returned to NZ. Europe has its problems sure, but the things I miss (small things, perhaps) make me realise that at heart I am a European.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Home is where the heart is! Hopefully things will improve sooner rather than later for europe/uk. We're still a lot more lucky than a lot of countries. Id move to europe in a flash if we could both find work there and didnt have the language problems! Where do you think you'll head to?
Old Feb 16th 2013, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Our dream has always been France. Love the culture, food and the place is just so beautiful. I also love hot weather and blue skies. But, alas, there is the language problem. In a way, NZ is not exotic enough for us, too much like parts of the UK. Used to live in Oz which we liked very much. But, it has become so expensive there that it is out of the question now. Also, the older I become the more I want to be closer to Europe.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

There seems to be a lot of people in france who dont speak perfect french so i wouldnt worry too much, its fairly easy to pick up the basics. Saying that ive forgot most of mine since i left school almost 7 years ago lol.

Ive never been - which is ridiculous since its so close by! Looks a lovely place to live. Dont give up on your dream
Old Feb 16th 2013, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand
Our dream has always been France. Love the culture, food and the place is just so beautiful. I also love hot weather and blue skies. But, alas, there is the language problem. In a way, NZ is not exotic enough for us, too much like parts of the UK. Used to live in Oz which we liked very much. But, it has become so expensive there that it is out of the question now. Also, the older I become the more I want to be closer to Europe.
We were going to go to France and had plans to do so (I am half French but alas not fluent). We chose NZ over France in the end for the sake of Kate's nursing career. I am pretty much NZ'd out now and I am here purely by dint of happy kids and Kate who loves her career.

But who knows what is round the corner?

Also I will get a better pension here than in the UK where obviously my NI payments are well down having been here for the last 8 yrs! I am 55 this year and have to think of these things eh?
Old Feb 16th 2013, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis

Also I will get a better pension here than in the UK where obviously my NI payments are well down having been here for the last 8 yrs! I am 55 this year and have to think of these things eh?
It may not be as bad as you thought ...

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension/eligibility

To get the full basic State Pension you need 30 years worth of contributions or credits. These are your ‘qualifying years’.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
I'm pretty sure you have to declare a pocketful of Krugers. But why would you want to do that anyway?