Reload this Page >

Conclusions from the latest trip to NZ

Conclusions from the latest trip to NZ

Old Feb 24th 2023, 8:20 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Conclusions from the latest trip to NZ

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
We drove past on our way down to the ferry.
Haven't really considered the Wellington area this time.
We had previously written Wellington off as too many hills and too crowded.
We did visit Wellington off the ferry on our way back up as part of the "shopping in Kathmandu for Merino" mission for this visit, and found it very crowded.
Just looking at Paraparaumu for house prices and sections seem to be $450k upwards which seems to be much the same as elsewhere.

We also more or less wrote that area off as too isolated from the rest of the North Island.

At the moment we are getting strong messages that anywhere North of Auckland is an at risk area from the weather.
Likewise Coromandel and Hawkes Bay area.
South Island seems to be a much safer and more attractive option at the moment.
I've never been up Kapiti way so would be interested to read more. Specifically the roading in and out of the area. Median property prices etc.

I would agree about Northland , Coromandel , Hawkes Bay etc. They are vulnerable to these extreme weather events and that isn't going away.

For South Island , the Top of the South is somewhat vulnerable as it is easily cut off and the roading is not quality. Mid SI might be fine. Further South is different weather entirely and far less quakey atm. Also I think the property prices are better. We have written of SI West Coast because of the sand flies ( allergy) and it is also somewhat munted due to weather events + gets cut off.
Old Feb 24th 2023, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I've never been up Kapiti way so would be interested to read more. Specifically the roading in and out of the area. Median property prices etc.

I would agree about Northland , Coromandel , Hawkes Bay etc. They are vulnerable to these extreme weather events and that isn't going away.

For South Island , the Top of the South is somewhat vulnerable as it is easily cut off and the roading is not quality. Mid SI might be fine. Further South is different weather entirely and far less quakey atm. Also I think the property prices are better. We have written of SI West Coast because of the sand flies ( allergy) and it is also somewhat munted due to weather events + gets cut off.
I often get the impression many think our weather is similar to Manchester weather back home. Overcast or raining with a week of sunshine in August if you're lucky.
​​​I think many would be surprised by the weather down here. Summers are generally warm (mid to high 20's) and dry without reaching drought levels. We get months of sunshine with just enough rain days to keep things green. Summers start early and drag on into late autumn. Winters obviously bring the colder weather but a typical winter's day is a light frost overnight that has gone by the time you've had breakfast. There might be a day or two of rain each week which is nothing compared to many north island regions. (My stepdaughter in Auckland is constantly complaining about the rain up there) We get very little wind and seldom get much more than 2 or 3 snow days a year, and what does come is gone the same day.. I would say Dunedin is probably the worst place in Otago for weather. I hate it there, it's a miserable place with very little going for it. Even Mosgiel which is only about 10km south of dunners is massively different and so much better. I'm inland a wee bit and 100km south of Dunedin and the climates are worlds apart.

Last edited by Justcol; Feb 24th 2023 at 10:04 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2023, 10:01 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Justcol
I think many would be surprised by the weather down here. Summers are generally warm and dry without reaching drought levels. We get weeks of sunshine with enough rain to keep things green. Summers start early and drag on into late autumn. Winters obviously bring the colder weather but a typical winter's day is a light frost overnight that has gone by 9am. There might be a day or two of rain each week which is nothing compared to many north island regions. We seldom get much more than 3 or 4 snow days a year, and what does come is gone the same day.. I would say Dunedin is probably the worst place in Otago for weather. I hate the there, it's a miserable place with very little going for it. Even Mosgiel which is only about 10km south of dunners is massively different and so much better. I'm 100km south of Dunedin and the climates are worlds apart.

Yes. We are pondering this.

Not interested in Dunedin really except for the sports stadium for himself or maybe the odd show. The peninsula would be my interest in that area. Beloved albatross .

Balclutha? Is it nearby to the shore. I have always lived close to the sea. We've hardly been down that way that much.

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 24th 2023 at 10:17 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2023, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

I will say that all the best weather we had was in SI.
Bad weather started at about the level of Thames coming back up and there was some pretty grim weather from there on up.
SI for the win?
Old Feb 26th 2023, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Yes. We are pondering this.

Not interested in Dunedin really except for the sports stadium for himself or maybe the odd show. The peninsula would be my interest in that area. Beloved albatross .

Balclutha? Is it nearby to the shore. I have always lived close to the sea. We've hardly been down that way that much.
Balclutha isn't really close to the shore. Kaka point beach is about 20 minutes away and Toko mouth is about 35 minutes away but there's nowt at either of them. Good for dog walking but little else
personally I find balclutha to be a fairly grubby place, but I work with lots of people who live there and they all seem happy there. I prefer the areas on the southern (Rosebank) side of the town .
It's still an hours drive to dunners, so not really close by.

​​​​​

Last edited by Justcol; Feb 26th 2023 at 8:54 am.