British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Conclusions from the latest trip to NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/conclusions-latest-trip-nz-947079/)

LittleGreyCat Feb 12th 2023 2:35 pm

Conclusions from the latest trip to NZ

We are back in the UK and it is cold and grey.
We were very fortunate that our flight was in the middle of the calm period between two very wet ones.
We have explored a lot of NZ, this time with a critical eye on the cost and suitability of housing.
Just in case we get accepted for immigration.

The results haven't been encouraging.
Although some prices have started to fall, they are still sky high compared to our last visit in 2016.

Back then, we looked at a house in Russel which was (IIRC) $370k.
We could have scraped together enough to buy that without having to sell our UK house.
Now you can't even get a section for anywhere near that price.

The Kiwi dream may be out of reach now after the long wait for visas to open up again.

As I have said before, to move to NZ we need somewhere which gives us equivalent (not identical) comfort and opportunities.when compared to our current home in the UK.
Russel and a boat to explore the islands could give this.
A bungalow in a housing estate nowhere special doesn't.

This could all go by the board anyway if our EOI is rejected.
Hard decision time would be if it is accepted.
More thoughts to follow.

Bo-Jangles Feb 12th 2023 10:44 pm

Re: Conclusions from the latest trip to NZ

Recent weather events likely will also further impact on your choices of places to settle; who knows what will happen in the next few days and weeks, but for sure the housing and rental shortages in Auckland will continue to be a problem, with so many red stickered homes it may be the last straw for many who likely will take an opportunity to move out of town to areas that have not been impacted by flooding. I expect other areas might see a shift too, as who really would want to live in the Coromandel after all they have been through these past few weeks too. Best of luck with your EOI and decisions.

BEVS Feb 13th 2023 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 13172456)
Recent weather events likely will also further impact on your choices of places to settle; who knows what will happen in the next few days and weeks, but for sure the housing and rental shortages in Auckland will continue to be a problem, with so many red stickered homes it may be the last straw for many who likely will take an opportunity to move out of town to areas that have not been impacted by flooding. I expect other areas might see a shift too, as who really would want to live in the Coromandel after all they have been through these past few weeks too. Best of luck with your EOI and decisions.

I agree Bo.

scrubbedexpat143 Feb 15th 2023 7:04 am

Just to throw a spanner into the works here... have you thought about Australia?? The weather here is just as nice, people are as kind (well, almost, or rather usually), costs are high but if what we reare fed by the media can be believed not as high as in Kiwi Kountry - and you could easily commute between the two to visits friends, go tourist or whatever rocks your boat. Many New Zealanders live here too!!

Originally the awful weather in Montreal and Toronto and the puritanical work culture are mostly what motivated me to get out of Canada. I had plans to Go South to settle and live in either Arizona or New Mexico before I happened to visit Sydney and Melbourne in the early '70s and decided Down Under was about as close to an earthly paradise as I would ever find on this planet. I came permanently in 1976, and have made a good and very happy life here.

If yes, or if no, please do tell us why, It's always good to learn what people think about such issues, and stir up a little debate if not a new hornets' nest... .

LittleGreyCat Feb 15th 2023 7:36 am

Originally Posted by JDWoowoo50 (Post 13173061)
Just to throw a spanner into the works here... have you thought about Australia?? The weather here is just as nice, people are as kind (well, almost, or rather usually), costs are high but if what we reare fed by the media can be believed not as high as in Kiwi Kountry - and you could easily commute between the two to visits friends, go tourist or whatever rocks your boat. Many New Zealanders live here too!!

Originally the awful weather in Montreal and Toronto and the puritanical work culture are mostly what motivated me to get out of Canada. I had plans to Go South to settle and live in either Arizona or New Mexico before I happened to visit Sydney and Melbourne in the early '70s and decided Down Under was about as close to an earthly paradise as I would ever find on this planet. I came permanently in 1976, and have made a good and very happy life here.

If yes, or if no, please do tell us why, It's always good to learn what people think about such issues, and stir up a little debate if not a new hornets' nest... .

How would I do that?
I can emigrate to NZ because I have a daughter who is a citizen and can sponsor me on a Parent Category visa.
I have no "in" to Australia.
I am retired so won't (and don't want to) qualify for a work visa.

scrubbedexpat143 Feb 15th 2023 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat (Post 13173069)
How would I do that?
I can emigrate to NZ because I have a daughter who is a citizen and can sponsor me on a Parent Category visa.
I have no "in" to Australia.
I am retired so won't (and don't want to) qualify for a work visa.

Obviously, NZ is your preferred place. Fast track sponsorship is not to be sneezed at.

Have you been there before? It's a lovely place in so many ways, but day to day living isn't easy. Or cheap. If you have money, well and good. On a pension, it could be more difficult, as my retired friends there attest. With assistance (maybe with accommodation) from family, it should be doable.

Of course you can always think of starting an online business, with a contact buying edibles from supermarkets in Oz, and flogging it in NZ at humongous profit. :thumbsup:

As we say here in Australia, when there is a will, there is usually a way - and a visa.

BEVS Feb 16th 2023 12:41 am

Originally Posted by JDWoowoo50 (Post 13173324)
Obviously, NZ is your preferred place. Fast track sponsorship is not to be sneezed at.

Have you been there before? It's a lovely place in so many ways, but day to day living isn't easy. Or cheap. If you have money, well and good. On a pension, it could be more difficult, as my retired friends there attest. With assistance (maybe with accommodation) from family, it should be doable.

Of course you can always think of starting an online business, with a contact buying edibles from supermarkets in Oz, and flogging it in NZ at humongous profit. :thumbsup:

As we say here in Australia, when there is a will, there is usually a way - and a visa.

LittleGreyCat is not going to be able to live in Australia. There is no visa for that for him and his wife. His sponsorship for NZ is through his daughter on the parent retired category. That's it.

scrubbedexpat143 Feb 16th 2023 5:32 am

Noted.

LittleGreyCat Feb 16th 2023 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by JDWoowoo50 (Post 13173324)
<snop>
<snip>.

We first visited NZ in 1987 and spent 4.5 months there in 2010/11.

We have been back several times and just returned from our latest trip in the last few days.

In fact, you could just take the time to read the first post in this thread!!!

Perhaps you could do me the courtesy of reading a few of my recent posts?

scrubbedexpat143 Feb 17th 2023 12:07 am

Of course. I will be pleased to extend you the courtesy you seek and again read (at the very least) your first post here.

I note that you have family in New Zealand and obviously it will be much easier for you to migrate. It's a lovely country in many ways. For many who are not "well larded" the cost of living is not one. But there are many other consolations.It's always good to be aware of this beforehand. In your case you have visited before, so you are aware of what life there is.

We also have been there several times and always enjoyed it, as tourists as we are happily and long settled in Australia (SO from Malaysia, me from Canada via a roundabout journey), which we enjoy and frankly prefer to living in New Zealand - SO has said it would be our second choice if we ever had to move out of Oz.

During our last journey - just before Covid up-ended and scrambled the entire world and broke many if not most of people's plans to move overseas and start new lives - we found costs to be much the same in either country. Some things (notably petrol, transport, hotels, food) were more expensive. For those who enjoy a tipple, the wines are excellent (I will say nothing about the beer). GST we thought was an almighty slug on all costs, but then Australia's may soon catch up. Post-Covid many of these costs have now caught up, notably food which if you have read the posts from other BE members there, have skyrocketed.

The good part for Aussies and other overseas travelers with stronger currencies, is the good rates you get when exchanging money - I recall we made about 15% which certainly padded out our spending there.

Many of our Kiwi friends now living in Australia tell us they believe it's more difficult to migrate to New Zealand than to Australia. One did comment that as retirees even on good incomes, the difficulties to go to either country would be about the same. This may be worth noting to many who are considering a move to one of these two countries.

Comments from others will obviously differ. It is regrettable if what I wrote ruffled some feathers, but this happens. As we of a certain age well know, life can be a mixed bag, often a blend of good and rotten.

Obviously, ou will be aware that there are 'minuses' as well as 'plusses' to migrating anywhere, and it's good to know what these are, whether you have family to assist you (which will greatly help) or you go as an 'independent' as so many do.

I wish you the very best in your planned move. May it be successful and take place without undue complications and stress, as many such relocations to distant places so often cause.

Pollyana Feb 17th 2023 12:55 am

Originally Posted by JDWoowoo50 (Post 13173536)

Many of our Kiwi friends now living in Australia tell us they believe it's more difficult to migrate to New Zealand than to Australia. One did comment that as retirees even on good incomes, the difficulties to go to either country would be about the same. This may be worth noting to many who are considering a move to one of these two countries.

Moving to Australia as a retiree is virtually impossible, unless you have children here. Even then it is expensive and takes many years. A "good income" without family here is pretty useless for Australian migration.
Its not really a question of one country being easier than the other. Everyone has individual circumstances, and for some migration to NZ is impossible, for others its Australia that has no way in. Equally NZ can be easy for some, Aus for others.

LittleGreyCat Feb 21st 2023 9:34 am

On further reflection we seem to have left the country in ruins behind us.
All the flooding and slips in Northland.
Devastation in the Bay of Plenty.
Now the ferries between N and S Island have nearly all packed up and people are stranded on the wrong island.

NZ isn't trying hard enough to sell itself as a dream destination at the moment.

I assume from now on buying used cars or used homes is going to have to include a check for flood damage.

Thinking of you all and hoping the clearing up goes well.

BEVS Feb 22nd 2023 5:04 am

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat (Post 13174415)
On further reflection we seem to have left the country in ruins behind us.
All the flooding and slips in Northland.
Devastation in the Bay of Plenty.
Now the ferries between N and S Island have nearly all packed up and people are stranded on the wrong island.
NZ isn't trying hard enough to sell itself as a dream destination at the moment.
I assume from now on buying used cars or used homes is going to have to include a check for flood damage.
Thinking of you all and hoping the clearing up goes well.

Yup. Blame you for not bringing the right brolly and wellies. :p

skybluestu Feb 23rd 2023 8:13 pm

Good luck with the Parent Visa, we are currently waiting for the Mother in laws EOI to be drawn, the latest is February 2024 but we expect that to come down more as she was 2026 when it opened back up!
Did you visit the Kapiti Coast on your travels? great place to live we have been here for 10 years since first arriving in Napier in 2010. Paraparaumu and Waikanae has everything you need, commuter line into Wellie, good roads (now) 40 mins into Wellington. Local Airport with flights to Auckland, great fishing around Kapiti Island and best of all its less windy than Wellington and a couple of degrees warmer. :)

LittleGreyCat Feb 24th 2023 11:44 am

We drove past on our way down to the ferry.
Haven't really considered the Wellington area this time.
We had previously written Wellington off as too many hills and too crowded.
We did visit Wellington off the ferry on our way back up as part of the "shopping in Kathmandu for Merino" mission for this visit, and found it very crowded.
Just looking at Paraparaumu for house prices and sections seem to be $450k upwards which seems to be much the same as elsewhere.

We also more or less wrote that area off as too isolated from the rest of the North Island.

At the moment we are getting strong messages that anywhere North of Auckland is an at risk area from the weather.
Likewise Coromandel and Hawkes Bay area.
South Island seems to be a much safer and more attractive option at the moment.