Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The child with AIDS thing

The child with AIDS thing

Old May 10th 2012, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The child with AIDS thing

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
My mam was a nurse and she came in to personal contact with HIV+ people on a weekly basis and she never contracted the virus. She was however told to be more concerned and careful around Hepatitis
This.

The hepatitides are approx 300 x more contagious than HIV, from memory.
Old May 10th 2012, 3:07 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
It would be naive to think that the UK is the land of milk and honey in terms of racism.
May be.......but in the bubble where I lived there wasn't any racism to speak of, (with the exception of one person, and one by one he lost the friendship of all his neighbours because of his attitude)

And nor for that matter was there homophobia.

But like I've said in other post elsewhere, I certainly lived in a nice little place, nice neighbours, no crime, good weather (mostly) sir gaerfyrddin, ble wyt ti
Old May 10th 2012, 3:14 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
Do you think a transsexual would ever be elected into parliament in the UK as Georgina Beyer was here (and that in a very rural, farming seat) ? I don't know??
Er, yes actually I think that could well happen. Why, don't you?
Old May 10th 2012, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

True enough.
I shouldn't get so defensive, I realise that. It's ok (from my view) for you guys to slag off. But if you read through the thread, watch how it develops from a discussion about this HIV thing into a connection with how 'they' (ie kiwis as the third person) are not friendly, homophobic and racist.
I think the reaction of some of the parents is understandable, for what it's worth. Every parent wants to make sure their kids are safe. Can they be assured that if an HIV+ kid is playing in a playground, cuts themselves and bleeds, and another kid does the same, and the blood from the HIV kid is mixed into the blood of the other kid, that this is 100% safe? If they can't, as a parent, I would be inclined to think about taking the kid to another playcentre. It's just human nature, I think. Not saying it's right. But I can understand it.
Yes I know what you mean about 'scared parents', but they took a knee jerk reaction with awful consequences for the whanau eh? I would be concerned for my kids welfare too but I know that this child's risk factor is zero. Apparently in the total history of AIDs no kid has ever caught it from another kid under normal playing. I am sure you can only get AIDs 4 ways, sex, shared needles, blood transfusion or by birth.
Old May 10th 2012, 4:57 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

I think as NZ has a small number of HIV infections, there is still the unjustified paranoia regarding people living with HIV. Couple that with the fact the preschool is in Northland, which is NZ poorest region

http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-dail...ting-pig-slops

Which makes it look third world in some respects.

I have been through rural Northland quite a bit and when you look at some of the communities there, the word "feral" springs to mind.

So I suspect some of this has to do with the attitude shown to the family.
Old May 10th 2012, 5:00 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

True enough.
But if you read through the thread, watch how it develops from a discussion about this HIV thing into a connection with how 'they' (ie kiwis as the third person) are not friendly, homophobic and racist.
...most threads here go that way mate.
Often wonder why THEY stay here....
Old May 10th 2012, 5:21 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
Er, yes actually I think that could well happen. Why, don't you?
Really? I can't imagine it happening. Not for a long long time, not knowingly anyway. The number of politicians in the UK (same in many other places but they're not being discussed) who have been hounded out of public office because some grubby media hack has 'outed' them or found some other 'salicious' information about is obscene. I certainly can't see the day that an openly gay person will ever be Prime Minister. Not going to happen.
Old May 10th 2012, 6:36 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Not that easy mate! To go back home
Old May 10th 2012, 7:12 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Oh really. Read more . Understand. Judge less .

and

We are entitled to our discussion here on this board. I realise you, personally, don't seem to like that much, as you do try your best to squish such a thread but you know what, we are all of us entitled to our view points, whether or not you think we are entitled to & we will discuss and put our points of view across.
After all we live here also . Have our NZ life too. Our experiences , contributions . Our viewpoints are just as valid as yours.
You never know. Perhaps change can happen through listening to others instead of your type of instant condemnation for things you don't like to read. .

So instead of 'they' (ie meaning those born in NZ, somehow distinct from anyone else living here), how about thinking as 'us' (ie everyone living here)
Without detracting from the thread , I really , really wish this were so. One land . One nation. All of us in it together. Bit like for my family and the multi-national families I grew up with. Sadly - it ain't like that mate. Was a shock at first but I've got it now. It is all kinds of sorts of them and us which , IMHO, holds NZ back..
Old May 10th 2012, 7:15 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure HazeandSteve's remark or point about THEY was a tongue in cheek reference to the born and raised New Zealanders that can do without being blamed (again) for small minded parochial attitudes that exist in the expat community too.
Old May 10th 2012, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Oh really. Read more . Understand. Judge less .

and

We are entitled to our discussion here on this board. I realise you, personally, don't seem to like that much, as you do try your best to squish such a thread but you know what, we are all of us entitled to our view points, whether or not you think we are entitled to & we will discuss and put our points of view across.
After all we live here also . Have our NZ life too. Our experiences , contributions . Our viewpoints are just as valid as yours.
You never know. Perhaps change can happen through listening to others instead of your type of instant condemnation for things you don't like to read. .

Without detracting from the thread , I really , really wish this were so. One land . One nation. All of us in it together. Bit like for my family and the multi-national families I grew up with. Sadly - it ain't like that mate. Was a shock at first but I've got it now. It is all kinds of sorts of them and us which , IMHO, holds NZ back..
Well said Bevs!!!! It seems like as we are not 'kiwis' (yet we contribute in many ways to NZ) we are not entitled to our views. Smacks of 'shut up or piss off'.
Old May 10th 2012, 10:32 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The child with AIDS thing

I don't blame New Zealanders generally, it's the thick and ignorant people.

Every society has thick people but since we invented machines to pull turnips their place in society has been in doubt. They might look like ordinary people, they walk like ordinary people (though astute observers will note knuckles hang much lower) but most worryingly they have also learned to talk like ordinary people. This I believe is leading to confusion as the media mistake the opinions of thick people as worthwhile printing and somehow representative of the ordinary folk. Indeed given the previously inexplicable popularity of Campbell live and Close Up we might hypothesis that in some primitive way the thick people are capable of complex humanesque emotions.

I can't help but think we need to do something with them that stops them mixing with the general population and breeding with each other. Like a kind of park/sanctuary where they can be held and studied until such time as they can be released back into their native habitat bountiful with that rubberised padding they put on children's play areas and less any sharp objects.

Sure, it's easy for us to judge them by our human standards but to them the GC might seem like a documentary.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

If we spent more time studying the thick people we might be more enlightened for it. It gives you a new appreciation doesn't it.
Old May 10th 2012, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Difficulty is, Charismatic, that while I am very clear on who the thick people are. They are also very clear and would very easily put me, and possibly you too, in the sanctuary.
You can all be reassured that life will be a lot easier when I am running my benevolent dictatorship.

I'm trying really hard not to be pulled in to the racism thread drift...think HIV Ms Kina, think HIV
Old May 10th 2012, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
I'm pretty sure HazeandSteve's remark or point about THEY was a tongue in cheek reference to the born and raised New Zealanders that can do without being blamed (again) for small minded parochial attitudes that exist in the expat community too.
You took the words right out of my mouth.
Old May 10th 2012, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I don't blame New Zealanders generally, it's the thick and ignorant people.

Every society has thick people but since we invented machines to pull turnips their place in society has been in doubt. They might look like ordinary people, they walk like ordinary people (though astute observers will note knuckles hang much lower) but most worryingly they have also learned to talk like ordinary people. This I believe is leading to confusion as the media mistake the opinions of thick people as worthwhile printing and somehow representative of the ordinary folk. Indeed given the previously inexplicable popularity of Campbell live and Close Up we might hypothesis that in some primitive way the thick people are capable of complex humanesque emotions.

I can't help but think we need to do something with them that stops them mixing with the general population and breeding with each other. Like a kind of park/sanctuary where they can be held and studied until such time as they can be released back into their native habitat bountiful with that rubberised padding they put on children's play areas and less any sharp objects.

Sure, it's easy for us to judge them by our human standards but to them the GC might seem like a documentary.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

If we spent more time studying the thick people we might be more enlightened for it. It gives you a new appreciation doesn't it.
are you for real ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.