Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The child with AIDS thing

The child with AIDS thing

Old May 10th 2012, 8:50 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The child with AIDS thing

Originally Posted by Genesis
And that horrid shitty eye advert on the wireless, 'kiwi eyes are different, thru' them we can see anything'.............yeah right, a deluded, shite, insular, up my arse view of the world.

Since when were kiwi eye's genetically different from the rest of us?

Certainly different alright not in a good way though
Old May 10th 2012, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I would want my children to learn that these people are not lepers
:r ofl:
Old May 10th 2012, 9:52 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

And that horrid shitty eye advert on the wireless, 'kiwi eyes are different, thru' them we can see anything we want'.............yeah right, a deluded, shite, insular, up my arse view of the world.

Since when were kiwi eye's genetically different from the rest of us?
Now this post really did make me laugh out loud
Old May 10th 2012, 10:05 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yea .. NZer's are a gormless lot aren't they? They're so vile ... (insert laughing or winking smiley here)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/.../13/schools.uk

People ... HIV + people are ostracised in some some way all over the world. It's not unique to any one country.

Last edited by waikatoguy; May 10th 2012 at 10:15 am.
Old May 10th 2012, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
Racism and homophobia are also common place. So it's hardly surprising that this HIV issue has raised it's ugly head.
Do you think a transsexual would ever be elected into parliament in the UK as Georgina Beyer was here (and that in a very rural, farming seat) ? I don't know??
Old May 10th 2012, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

It would be naive to think that the UK is the land of milk and honey in terms of racism.
Old May 10th 2012, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
Oh yea .. NZer's are a gormless lot aren't they? They're so vile ... (insert laughing or winking smiley here)

People ... HIV + people are ostracised in some some way all over the world. It's not unique to any one country.
Not all of them, just those who exclude children with HIV and then tell everyone else in the neighbourhood about the family's private business. Good and bad in all nationalities.
Old May 10th 2012, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and there are gormless, vile twats all over the UK, Ireland and France..just about covers all the places I am from. And of course it would happen all over the world..what has that got to do with it? We are dealing with it happening here in NZ.
Old May 10th 2012, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pricklykina
It would be naive to think that the UK is the land of milk and honey in terms of racism.
And where is? All countries have light and darkness behaviour wise. In the Uk rascism is alive and well (well it was in Plodville) and it is in your face. It is here too in NZ but it is more subdued. Which is the more racist place? UK by a long way IMO. But we digress.
Old May 10th 2012, 11:07 am

Yes and there are gormless, vile twats all over the UK, Ireland and France..just about covers all the places I am from. And of course it would happen all over the world..what has that got to do with it? We are dealing with it happening here in NZ.
True enough.
I shouldn't get so defensive, I realise that. It's ok (from my view) for you guys to slag off. But if you read through the thread, watch how it develops from a discussion about this HIV thing into a connection with how 'they' (ie kiwis as the third person) are not friendly, homophobic and racist.
I think the reaction of some of the parents is understandable, for what it's worth. Every parent wants to make sure their kids are safe. Can they be assured that if an HIV+ kid is playing in a playground, cuts themselves and bleeds, and another kid does the same, and the blood from the HIV kid is mixed into the blood of the other kid, that this is 100% safe? If they can't, as a parent, I would be inclined to think about taking the kid to another playcentre. It's just human nature, I think. Not saying it's right. But I can understand it.
Old May 10th 2012, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Personally, I think it's dreadful to exclude the child. I was having a conversation with my ten year old about how it is almost impossible to get hiv from day to day contact. I would be more concerned about hepatitis c...far more virulent.

People get fearful about their kids and that is understandable. And fear often gets in the way of taking in new information, henve the doctor not getting heard at the meeting that was held.

What would other people honestly do if it was their kids?
I guess the best thing to do is teach kids about universal precautions. Afterall, you never know what people that you come across have anyway. Having spent some of my career working with people at high risk and who have HIV and Hep C, I haven't been overly concerned about contracting it.
It hasn't stopped me hugging, or patting on the arm, or any of the usual things that I do. I tend not to share toothbrushes with those I have just met so that keeps me quite safe too!

I told my daughter that you do end up with blood to blood contact with people, then flush it with water for ages and then tell someone.
Old May 10th 2012, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

When I worked as a midwife I treated everyone as if they had HIV/Hep C etc. Have treated many a woman with one or the other & was dealing with various bodily fluids on a daily basis. I haven't contracted either.

I hate ignorance & especially ignorance that leads to discrimination.
Old May 10th 2012, 1:01 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I read that article yesterday and I just didn't know what to say- for some reason, in my little world, I thought that level of ignorance/stupidity/nastiness (it's clearly not just one person, they must have all egged each other on) didn't exist.

If I had my child in that childcare I'd now be whipping them out so fast their feet couldn't touch the ground for FEAR they'd contract IGNORANCE. You've got to be very careful with ignorance and all its nasty attitudes- it can be contracted unknowingly from much less than a bite.

But if you read through the thread, watch how it develops from a discussion about this HIV thing into a connection with how 'they' (ie kiwis as the third person) are not friendly, homophobic and racist.
I agree 100%. Positioning people as "the other" is one foot along a very unpleasant path.

I think the reaction of some of the parents is understandable, for what it's worth. Every parent wants to make sure their kids are safe. Can they be assured that if an HIV+ kid is playing in a playground, cuts themselves and bleeds, and another kid does the same, and the blood from the HIV kid is mixed into the blood of the other kid, that this is 100% safe? If they can't, as a parent, I would be inclined to think about taking the kid to another playcentre. It's just human nature, I think. Not saying it's right. But I can understand it.
With the utmost of respect, Waikatoguy, I'd ask you reread that paragraph and consider whether a little ignorance has clouded your perspective. If we're going to take the level of caution against risk you seem to condone here, then we best stop letting our kids travel in cars, ride bikes, climb trees, go out in the sun ... oh a million things really. Wouldn't be much of a life, no?

PS lots of things are "just human nature" that we do not consider acceptable, it's really no excuse.
Old May 10th 2012, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit

With the utmost of respect, Waikatoguy, I'd ask you reread that paragraph and consider whether a little ignorance has clouded your perspective. If we're going to take the level of caution against risk you seem to condone here, then we best stop letting our kids travel in cars, ride bikes, climb trees, go out in the sun ... oh a million things really. Wouldn't be much of a life, no?
Hi BB,
I actually don't condone it. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't withdraw my child from the centre. I guess I was just trying to explain how it comes about. I think all that most parents are concerned about is number 1, ie their own child. You're right, if we took that level of concern we wouldn't let our kids do anything. All I'm saying is that if there is a centre with a known HIV+ kid, and another with no known cases, a lot (or perhaps just some) of parents would simply choose the centre with no known cases as the easy way out, simply because they would worry too much about their kid otherwise.
I hate that type of discrimination though, just as much as I hate homophobia and racism.
Old May 10th 2012, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I agree 100%. Positioning people as "the other" is one foot along a very unpleasant path.
The way I look at it is : I like to think those that choose NZ as their home is just as much a New Zealander as I am. After all, the number of expats, and in particular British expats is quite a substantial percentage of the population, and contribute a lot to NZ life and the way we live our lives as a nation. How do we know, for example, that at least some of the parents complaining about the HIV child were not British expats? So instead of 'they' (ie meaning those born in NZ, somehow distinct from anyone else living here), how about thinking as 'us' (ie everyone living here). We are all responsible for the good and bad things that happen here. Are we not? Just a thought. (Is this where we bring out the violins and have a group hug. lol)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.