Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Bogged under ... So much to organise!

Bogged under ... So much to organise!

Old Aug 11th 2006, 10:17 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bogged under ... So much to organise!

Originally Posted by helinuk
SIL is in Levalsa Meor.
Hubby is an electronics engineer - fire and security business, I'm an NNEB, Dip in specific learning difficulties- to teach dyslexic kids, and a TESOL cert. to teach foreigners English. None of my qualifications are recognised in NZ:-((
I already earn a basic salary when I work as NNEB (£6 hr)so the low salaries in NZ won't be a shock to me LOL.

We have 2 kids, boy 20yrs and girl 17 yrs.
Never heard of there! Don't get out much!

I used to have a childrens' nursery and have childcare qualifications too - couldn't go back to working with other peoples youngsters now - my youngest is coming up to 4 and I feel I've done my nappies and winding bit for the world!

It's usually the Kiwi's who come to the UK for work, I guess it could work the other way round. There's a couple of nanny agencies in Auckland, one called kiwinannies I believe, you could see what kind of money they're earning?

Caroline
Old Aug 11th 2006, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Never heard of there! Don't get out much!

I used to have a childrens' nursery and have childcare qualifications too - couldn't go back to working with other peoples youngsters now - my youngest is coming up to 4 and I feel I've done my nappies and winding bit for the world!

It's usually the Kiwi's who come to the UK for work, I guess it could work the other way round. There's a couple of nanny agencies in Auckland, one called kiwinannies I believe, you could see what kind of money they're earning?

Caroline
SIL house is on road between St aus. and Mevagissy.
Why is cornwall hell on earth?
Yes I agree I don't like doing nappies! I've never been a nanny ,would shoot myself first LOL. I've always worked with special needs- ill kids, autistics, globally delayed kids etc. I need to be in challenging situations. The childcare scene has become bogged down with 'child protection' issues
that drive mE crazy, can't put suntan lotion on them, can't cuddle them, can't tell them off, can't use words 'naughty' 'no' can't have a winner on sports day races because losers will feel bad. tHE nz nursery system is aiming for 3/4 of staff to have degrees in early learning yrs by 2012. no room for NNEBs.
Time for a change? Perhaps I'll do TESOL in language school or homestay.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:01 pm

SIL house is on road between St aus. and Mevagissy.
Why is cornwall hell on earth?
Yes I agree I don't like doing nappies! I've never been a nanny ,would shoot myself first LOL. I've always worked with special needs- ill kids, autistics, globally delayed kids etc. I need to be in challenging situations. The childcare scene has become bogged down with 'child protection' issues
that drive mE crazy, can't put suntan lotion on them, can't cuddle them, can't tell them off, can't use words 'naughty' 'no' can't have a winner on sports day races because losers will feel bad. tHE nz nursery system is aiming for 3/4 of staff to have degrees in early learning yrs by 2012. no room for NNEBs.
Time for a change? Perhaps I'll do TESOL in language school or homestay.
I just hate Cornwall, I'm sure other people would love it! I don't want to be accused of belittling anywhere or anyone - Cornwall's just not my cup of tea!

Totally agree with you about childcare here. When I had my nursery the NNEB was the top certificate!

What is TESOL? My brother has TEFL, he owns a language school in Poland which is very busy. Poland? New Zealand? Tough choice?!

Many, many Asians and Orientals in Auckland and therefore I would assume schools?

Caroline
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

I just hate Cornwall, I'm sure other people would love it! I don't want to be accused of belittling anywhere or anyone - Cornwall's just not my cup of tea!

Totally agree with you about childcare here. When I had my nursery the NNEB was the top certificate!

What is TESOL? My brother has TEFL, he owns a language school in Poland which is very busy. Poland? New Zealand? Tough choice?!

Many, many Asians and Orientals in Auckland and therefore I would assume schools?

Caroline
TEFL =Teaching English as a Foreign Language- people often say they are are going to 'do' TEFL.
The qualification we took was:
TESOL= Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. Trinity Cert. level 4. ...recognised in most places. Although OZ and NZ require a degree and PGCE as well if you want to work in a school.
Yes I've seen Polish languages schools advertised.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:00 pm

TEFL =Teaching English as a Foreign Language- people often say they are are going to 'do' TEFL.
The qualification we took was:
TESOL= Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. Trinity Cert. level 4. ...recognised in most places. Although OZ and NZ require a degree and PGCE as well if you want to work in a school.
Yes I've seen Polish languages schools advertised.
They're pretty tough on the old qualification front aren't they? With the reasoning it keeps the dregs out I guess! Lucky I married a Kiwi!! Or I'd never get in!!

Thank you to everyone for their comments on my original quandry. Hubby is smugly happy as he'd been too afraid to suggest leaving it until mid-January for all the reasons mentioned and thought he'd let me hear it from half a dozen strangers instead!! So it looks like I shall have to admit that the sensible option would be to leave it until after the New Year. Gutted!! But might make it slightly less stressful?! And now have industrial sized notebook for endless list making between now and then - oh deep joy!

I'm scared my bosses may find out my plans from other sources (very small place here) and am now wondering when to tell them. I've worked for them for 18 months, 3 days a week and I'm the only employee for a husband and wife team - often getting left in sole charge if they go away. I don't have a contract but do not want to leave them in the lurch. At the same time I don't want to put my job in jeopardy or risk them turning on me if I give too much notice. Anyone know the legal terms for giving notice without a contract?

Cheers.

Caroline
Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

They're pretty tough on the old qualification front aren't they? With the reasoning it keeps the dregs out I guess! Lucky I married a Kiwi!! Or I'd never get in!!

Thank you to everyone for their comments on my original quandry. Hubby is smugly happy as he'd been too afraid to suggest leaving it until mid-January for all the reasons mentioned and thought he'd let me hear it from half a dozen strangers instead!! So it looks like I shall have to admit that the sensible option would be to leave it until after the New Year. Gutted!! But might make it slightly less stressful?! And now have industrial sized notebook for endless list making between now and then - oh deep joy!

I'm scared my bosses may find out my plans from other sources (very small place here) and am now wondering when to tell them. I've worked for them for 18 months, 3 days a week and I'm the only employee for a husband and wife team - often getting left in sole charge if they go away. I don't have a contract but do not want to leave them in the lurch. At the same time I don't want to put my job in jeopardy or risk them turning on me if I give too much notice. Anyone know the legal terms for giving notice without a contract?

Cheers.

Caroline
Can contact our HR on Monday if you like-dunno if it's different with small businesses though. Sorry you've had to wait a bit longer,but it's probably sensible.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by danny.f
Can contact our HR on Monday if you like-dunno if it's different with small businesses though. Sorry you've had to wait a bit longer,but it's probably sensible.
Hi Danny,

That would be really good if it's not too much trouble. Thank you very much. You truly are a man of generous nature! Etc, etc, etc, creep, creep, creep!!

Don't you just hate the word "sensible?!" Am Loolah - don't do sensible!

Caroline
Old Aug 12th 2006, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't have a contract but do not want to leave them in the lurch. At the same time I don't want to put my job in jeopardy or risk them turning on me if I give too much notice. Anyone know the legal terms for giving notice without a contract?
A good rule of thumb is that the notice period is the same as your pay period. So if you get paid weekly, then one week's notice, if you get paid monthly then one month's notice. Don't forget to include your holiday pay into the equation.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Danny,

That would be really good if it's not too much trouble. Thank you very much. You truly are a man of generous nature! Etc, etc, etc, creep, creep, creep!!

Don't you just hate the word "sensible?!" Am Loolah - don't do sensible!

Caroline
Danny never been sensible either. Sensible is poor,boring,safe,will do.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Apple12
A good rule of thumb is that the notice period is the same as your pay period. So if you get paid weekly, then one week's notice, if you get paid monthly then one month's notice. Don't forget to include your holiday pay into the equation.
That sounds like it might be right. Thank you. What holiday pay I took all that in April/May going to New Zealand!! Made sure I left one day for Robbie Williams concert - might be my last one - New Zealand doesn't appear to figure on his map of the world when it comes to world tours!!
Old Aug 15th 2006, 8:49 pm

That sounds like it might be right. Thank you. What holiday pay I took all that in April/May going to New Zealand!! Made sure I left one day for Robbie Williams concert - might be my last one - New Zealand doesn't appear to figure on his map of the world when it comes to world tours!!
Am replying to self - am very sad, obsessive fairy with dropping wings!

Can everyone please keep everything crossed for us? Have read sooooo many entries re: house sales falling through. Our house we rent out is due to exchange & complete on the same day, 30th August, have already booked babysitter to celebrate! If it falls through our plans will be in jeopardy - but hubby sayd "He's on a promise" that we're going! Who is she?!
Old Aug 15th 2006, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

daviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to all

this is now the 3rd time i have tried to reply my computer keeps loosing it. Arrrrrh. ditto on the so much to organise, and thanks a glass of wine does help. We moved housed in the UK in MArch and stupidly bought one that needed a bit of work, then got a job in NZ quicker than we thought, offered in July, want me there for 2nd OCT!!!!

mad panic now :scared: as having read thread I should have been looking into shippers by now, but alas.... :scared: is there really a wiating list for bookings???

trying to work fulltime, get house in decent state to rent out and get everything done. OH works away sometimes, everytime he is home I shove papers at him and a list of DIY poor bloke

Feel free to join me in my nervous breakdown anyone......

Does anyone else facing impending immigration feel totally bogged under about having so much to organise?! I really don't know what order in which to do things? And as we're planning to spend one last Christmas in UK (due to family/motherly pressure) are looking at flying out between Christmas and New Year.
We are thinking of Tauranga - don't have to organise employment as hubby is NZ citizen so just going for my residency - that obviously is a huge advantage.
Will we be able to rent around Christmas time? How early do we start finding a rental property? When should we organise container and shipping? We have 2 dogs to ship - will there be kennels in Tauranga so they can come on same flight with us rather than be left in UK? Need schools for 8, 11 and 14 year old. Youngest will be 4 what age would she start school? Need to buy 2 ponies as having to leave childrens' in UK - how? Where do we look? Too much to think about to prioritise! Any advice?!

Caroline
Old Aug 15th 2006, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by daviesl
this is now the 3rd time i have tried to reply my computer keeps loosing it. Arrrrrh. ditto on the so much to organise, and thanks a glass of wine does help. We moved housed in the UK in MArch and stupidly bought one that needed a bit of work, then got a job in NZ quicker than we thought, offered in July, want me there for 2nd OCT!!!!

mad panic now :scared: as having read thread I should have been looking into shippers by now, but alas.... :scared: is there really a wiating list for bookings???

trying to work fulltime, get house in decent state to rent out and get everything done. OH works away sometimes, everytime he is home I shove papers at him and a list of DIY poor bloke

Feel free to join me in my nervous breakdown anyone......
the weekends are to short to do everything you want to do, the car is never big enough to fit all the rubbish in to take to the rubbish skip and the diy are shops are not open long enough on a sunday in the uk, you always need more stuff after the store has closed on a sunday

good luck with it all, it does come together, major stress is involved but you will get there

I had a heart attack on the sunday the day before we were due to leave, the house was empty except for bags coming with us and it was 4pm and it didnt alll fit int he bags we had.....I needed another bag, so quick dash to matalan which didnt shut till 430 on a sunday

Thank god for matalan
Old Aug 15th 2006, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Am replying to self - am very sad, obsessive fairy with dropping wings!

Can everyone please keep everything crossed for us? Have read sooooo many entries re: house sales falling through. Our house we rent out is due to exchange & complete on the same day, 30th August, have already booked babysitter to celebrate! If it falls through our plans will be in jeopardy - but hubby sayd "He's on a promise" that we're going! Who is she?!

Oh I will, trying it now but hard to type with fingers crossed.

It will be OK! Before you know it you will all be here enjoying the summer.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

daviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to all

phew!!! for a second then I thought you meant you really had a heart attack...!! thanks for the reassurance

Originally Posted by kwprwn
the weekends are to short to do everything you want to do, the car is never big enough to fit all the rubbish in to take to the rubbish skip and the diy are shops are not open long enough on a sunday in the uk, you always need more stuff after the store has closed on a sunday

good luck with it all, it does come together, major stress is involved but you will get there

I had a heart attack on the sunday the day before we were due to leave, the house was empty except for bags coming with us and it was 4pm and it didnt alll fit int he bags we had.....I needed another bag, so quick dash to matalan which didnt shut till 430 on a sunday

Thank god for matalan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.