British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Bogged under ... So much to organise! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/bogged-under-so-much-organise-389889/)

Am Loolah Aug 10th 2006 7:27 pm

Bogged under ... So much to organise!

Does anyone else facing impending immigration feel totally bogged under about having so much to organise?! I really don't know what order in which to do things? And as we're planning to spend one last Christmas in UK (due to family/motherly pressure) are looking at flying out between Christmas and New Year.
We are thinking of Tauranga - don't have to organise employment as hubby is NZ citizen so just going for my residency - that obviously is a huge advantage.
Will we be able to rent around Christmas time? How early do we start finding a rental property? When should we organise container and shipping? We have 2 dogs to ship - will there be kennels in Tauranga so they can come on same flight with us rather than be left in UK? Need schools for 8, 11 and 14 year old. Youngest will be 4 what age would she start school? Need to buy 2 ponies as having to leave childrens' in UK - how? Where do we look? Too much to think about to prioritise! Any advice?!

Caroline

Nice Guy Aug 10th 2006 7:50 pm

Bogged under ... So much to organise!

Hi Caroline

I can give you but one piece of advise, more of a suggestion actually........

Don't leave in-between Chrimble and the New Year especially if there is family pressure on you not to go.

Emotions are funny things and a poignant time of year is always Chrimble when emotions are running high.

My one piece of advise for what it's worth is leave in mid January.

You, and others may find it easier............

Good luck!

Karma sent.........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............that feels better!

Am Loolah Aug 10th 2006 7:54 pm

Re: Bogged under ... So much to organise!

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Hi Caroline

I can give you but one piece of advise, more of a suggestion actually........

Don't leave in-between Chrimble and the New Year especially if there is family pressure on you not to go.

Emotions are funny things and a poignant time of year is always Chrimble when emotions are running high.

My one piece of advise for what it's worth is leave in mid January.

You, and others may find it easier............

Good luck!

Karma sent.........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............that feels better!

Wow - my first Karma - thanking you muchly!!

Psychologically I want to be out there for New Year, New Life, New Start, New Zealand! Corny I know! I want to dance under the night sky on the beach with my hubby and kids whilst quaffing bubbly and then wake up to the first day of the rest of my life!

They don't call me LooLah for nothing!

helinuk Aug 10th 2006 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah

Psychologically I want to be out there for New Year, New Life, New Start, New Zealand! Corny I know! I want to dance under the night sky on the beach with my hubby and kids whilst quaffing bubbly and then wake up to the first day of the rest of my life!

!

I can understand that- we went to Gisbourne North Island for the Millennium- Kiri singing under the stars on the beach- an experience we'll never forget. No bubbly allowed that night, good thing we weren't on the bubbly, hubby was breathalysed!
My SIL lives in a hamlet near St Austell - lovely place.
We are looking at Tauranga. What jobs do you do? I'll follow your blogs with interest :)
helinuk

Am Loolah Aug 10th 2006 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by helinuk
I can understand that- we went to Gisbourne North Island for the Millennium- Kiri singing under the stars on the beach- an experience we'll never forget. No bubbly allowed that night, good thing we weren't on the bubbly, hubby was breathalysed!
My SIL lives in a hamlet near St Austell - lovely place.
We are looking at Tauranga. What jobs do you do? I'll follow your blogs with interest :)
helinuk

See, not just me then! Usually is! I'd heard they're pretty hot on random breath tests - not like out here in the sticks! What hamlet near St Austell? Just being nosey!

We're open to anything on the job front when we get there. I'm in residential lettings and property management and really want to stick with that and have my own agency. But much more regulated over in New Zealand - which to be honest is a good thing. I'm the only employee with a qualification and the only one who's a member of the National Association of Estate Agents here - and course and membership paid for by me!! But shall explore how to go about it in more detail before we get there. Dave's a landscape gardener/maintenance man etc. But used to be a publican and chef! Oh he of many (well hidden) talents!

What about you? Jobs? Children etc?

Caroline

poppets Aug 10th 2006 9:04 pm

Does anyone else facing impending immigration feel totally bogged under about having so much to organise?! I really don't know what order in which to do things? And as we're planning to spend one last Christmas in UK (due to family/motherly pressure) are looking at flying out between Christmas and New Year.
We are thinking of Tauranga - don't have to organise employment as hubby is NZ citizen so just going for my residency - that obviously is a huge advantage.
Will we be able to rent around Christmas time? How early do we start finding a rental property? When should we organise container and shipping? We have 2 dogs to ship - will there be kennels in Tauranga so they can come on same flight with us rather than be left in UK? Need schools for 8, 11 and 14 year old. Youngest will be 4 what age would she start school? Need to buy 2 ponies as having to leave childrens' in UK - how? Where do we look? Too much to think about to prioritise! Any advice?!

Caroline

Ok calm down, have a cuppa & a biccie (choccie works for me!) This is what we did as a rough guide for you.

We left 7/4/06
early Jan arranged for shipping co(3) to come round to do quotes, they did these mid - late jan.
Our shipping Co (Crown) came on the 3rd April & packed, loaded container on the 4th April

I did a google search re kennels for you heres the results.
http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...cr%3DcountryNZ
I think you need to tell the company shipping th edogs whjat flight you're going to be on in plenty of time so they can arrange for the dogs to be on the same flight

i also googled house rentals but would suggest that you book into a hoiliday home or something for a couple of weeks whist you search for a rental, as some are sh!te.

Schools
They start on or around the 5th birthday, kindy starts from 3yrs.
try this for schools info http://www.tki.org.nz/e/schools/index.php

I have no idea about horses but i googled it & this is what came up

Good luck :)

Am Loolah Aug 10th 2006 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by poppets
Ok calm down, have a cuppa & a biccie (choccie works for me!) This is what we did as a rough guide for you.

We left 7/4/06
early Jan arranged for shipping co(3) to come round to do quotes, they did these mid - late jan.
Our shipping Co (Crown) came on the 3rd April & packed, loaded container on the 4th April

I did a google search re kennels for you heres the results.
I think you need to tell the company shipping th edogs whjat flight you're going to be on in plenty of time so they can arrange for the dogs to be on the same flight

i also googled house rentals but would suggest that you book into a hoiliday home or something for a couple of weeks whist you search for a rental, as some are sh!te.

Schools
They start on or around the 5th birthday, kindy starts from 3yrs.
try this for schools info http://www.tki.org.nz/e/schools/index.php

I have no idea about horses but i googled it & this is what came up

Good luck :)

Am finding glass of wine is helping! Just the one!!

You are a star - thank you so much. When have time alone at work will try all your links (paid research I like to call it!)

That has calmed me down - was thinking would have to organise container/shippers like last month for 4 months ahead!

Thank you, thank you, thank you - ok am gushing now - will calm down again - more wine waiter!

Karma for you - you helped me karma down!

Caroline

danny.f Aug 10th 2006 11:28 pm

Only other thing to consider if you want to leave Dec/Jan is flight price-prices are properly hiked up til mid Jan when they settle down again. Good luck tho. :)

Apple12 Aug 11th 2006 12:11 am

I understand the psychology, but arriving in NZ at New Years does make your life particularly difficult.
Think of how easy it is to do things like find accommodation, travel the countryside, book flights, make appointments with people like lawyers, government agencies, schools, in the middle of August school holidays and you will have some idea. With the Christmas/New Years holidays, and schools on holidays, many businesses take a break or have reduced staff, making many things a lot more difficult. It is not called the "silly season" for nothing. Even if you decide to not do any "immigration" things for the first few weeks - you will be on holiday with most of the rest of the country so even just booking accommodation will be difficult. Feb is often the best time for travelling in NZ as the kids are back at school and the weather is usually more settled.
Your flights from the UK will be at their most expensive, compared to Oct or Feb.

While it is a nice idea to come out at that time, it would be making your life much more difficult when emigrating is not an easy process to start with.

kwprwn Aug 11th 2006 1:20 am

1st/the new year, flights will be heavily booked already between xmas and new year, so I would seriously check out availability as this is a really popular time to travel, as someone else said prices are hiked up for xmas new year travel.

2nd/ we booked our shipping in january for march and only just got in, and we were shipping at a not so popular time of the year

3/ it may be difficult to get a rental property as the letting agencies may be shut etc for a period of time

4/ Sarah B (who posts regular on here) from what I see is the local expat horse expert, she had to leave one in the uk, but has one out here, so ask her, she will no doubt be around later

5/ It is all a bit mind boggling, but i found writing a great big list of all the things

hope this helps

Dawn

SarahB Aug 11th 2006 1:25 am

Need to buy 2 ponies as having to leave childrens' in UK - how? Where do we look? Too much to think about to prioritise! Any advice?!

Caroline

Hi... I left my beloved horse back in the Uk with my best friend.... I hear he is doing fine...... but that was on condition that I got another one over here.

I walked into a local pony and met a very helpful lady who gave me phone numbers for horsey shops.... livery yards etc. I secured myself a place at grass livery first and then set trying to find a horse.

I went onto trademe... here have a look at the prices and what kinda horses are for sale here.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Eque...0382-1349-.htm

I knew my budget was limited and I wanted a youngster but that was all. Trademe is good as the telephone numbers are on there and you can arrange to go and see/try the horse or pony..... dont trust anybody who would let you buy a horse off Trademe without you going to see it.

I ended up buying 3 year old Bay Standardbred.... failed harness racer who was destined for Jimbos Petfood Factory. I paid $700 for him which was £280 at that time... You will want 2 good childrens ponies..... now a good pony costs more here than the horses.... so have a good look about. Another popular thing here is leasing a horse (uk - loaning)... lots offered for lease but watch they dont just want a home for the winter months and then take it back come the nicer weather.

Theres no shortage of horses and ponies here.... I'm sure you will find what you want. Good luck

SarahB

SarahB Aug 11th 2006 1:27 am

Originally Posted by kwprwn
1st/the new year, flights will be heavily booked already between xmas and new year, so I would seriously check out availability as this is a really popular time to travel, as someone else said prices are hiked up for xmas new year travel.

2nd/ we booked our shipping in january for march and only just got in, and we were shipping at a not so popular time of the year

3/ it may be difficult to get a rental property as the letting agencies may be shut etc for a period of time

4/ Sarah B (who posts regular on here) from what I see is the local expat horse expert, she had to leave one in the uk, but has one out here, so ask her, she will no doubt be around later

5/ It is all a bit mind boggling, but i found writing a great big list of all the things

hope this helps

Dawn

lol.... I'm around now and just replied. You beat me too it! :)

Jude J Aug 11th 2006 1:30 am

Hi LooLah,

Where in Cornwall are you? Is it really hell on earth?!

Hope the organising is going ok. Just find somewhere to stay for the first couple of weeks and sort the rest from there. We arrived with nothing organised and booked a hotel at Auckland airport! Wouldn't recommend that tho, specially between Christmas & New Year.
Oh, I'm sure your hubby already knows but new year at the Mount really goes off! If you want to stay there book well in advance.

kwprwn Aug 11th 2006 1:32 am

Originally Posted by SarahB
lol.... I'm around now and just replied. You beat me too it! :)

you snuck in when I wasnt looking, actually was working (thats what I am supposed to be doing) not posting on the internet :p

I knew you would know about the horses

SarahB Aug 11th 2006 1:35 am

Originally Posted by kwprwn
you snuck in when I wasnt looking, actually was working (thats what I am supposed to be doing) not posting on the internet :p

I knew you would know about the horses

Well.... word of mouth is good too....specially for kids ponies... asking around at the local pony clubs would be a good idea.

I have my OH off work feeling poorly now and hes asleep on the sofa and littlun is fast asleep in his bed with a headcold.... at least I feel a bit better now so its my turn to look after them.