Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Best Beach (North or South Island)

Best Beach (North or South Island)

Old May 12th 2008, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

hosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud of
Default Re: Best Beach (North or South Island)

ooh I'm a bit jealous! We did a quick tour of the North Island and loved Tutukaka. We stayed at Pacific Rendezvous which is a small collection of chalets on a headland and the views are terrific. They have two private beaches there which, although small, are sandy and kept out three yr old occupied for a few days. There is also a pool there and a playground. We all enjoyed it there, it was basic but very comfortable and certainly met our needs as a family (my husband nipped off for diving at Poor Knights Island). But there are thousands of beautiful beaches - someone has already mentioned Wahi which we spent a super afternoon digging on.

Have a terrific time, oh for 3 months playing on a beach, how chilled out I'd be
Old May 12th 2008, 9:01 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand
Although Coopers Beach is nice it's a pity its rather spoilt by the dreadful housing stock on the other side of the road. It's the same further up the coast where the beaches have been spoilt by the environment.
Is it really? That's sad. It was another beachy place my parents used to take us to quite regularly growing up. Haven't been there in over 10 years though. Perhaps thats a good thing!
Old May 13th 2008, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Is it really? That's sad. It was another beachy place my parents used to take us to quite regularly growing up. Haven't been there in over 10 years though. Perhaps thats a good thing!
Probably referring to a bunch of standard kiwi baches that are over the road from the beach (I don't quite understand the term "housing stock" - is this some sort of weatherboard Oxo?). There are so many beautiful, unspoilt, deserted beaches in NZ it seems really strange to mention one you don't like in a thread titled "Best Beach". Oh, hang on, the post was by a Oz-based NZ-basher, there's a surprise
Old May 13th 2008, 1:34 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Probably referring to a bunch of standard kiwi baches that are over the road from the beach (I don't quite understand the term "housing stock" - is this some sort of weatherboard Oxo?). There are so many beautiful, unspoilt, deserted beaches in NZ it seems really strange to mention one you don't like in a thread titled "Best Beach". Oh, hang on, the post was by a Oz-based NZ-basher, there's a surprise
Thinking about it now, I do recall that there were concerns about it being developed along the lines of other places in the area where the houses are for the superwealthy (big houses but very little land, gated, no longer affordable to visit etc being the main concerns in other places). Not sure if this is how it got. Right. That's it. I'm Googling.
Old May 13th 2008, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Flyingdragon is a jewel in the roughFlyingdragon is a jewel in the roughFlyingdragon is a jewel in the roughFlyingdragon is a jewel in the roughFlyingdragon is a jewel in the rough

Son is going out to work in Thames. Can you tell me if there are good beaches there or near there? Thank you.
Old May 13th 2008, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Laped kiwi, I think you were referring to my comments re Coopers Beach. The housing stock I was talking about are the horrid sixties and seventies built houses across the road from Coopers Beach, which spoil the effect of the place. I think the best beaches in the north are when you get to the end of the road there on the east side and cross over to the west.

Opinoni Beach is really nice and also the beach around the corner where the sand dunes are. I also like the eastern beaches on the North Shore from Tapapuna to Long Bay.
Old May 13th 2008, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Takapuna
Old May 16th 2008, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flyingdragon
Son is going out to work in Thames. Can you tell me if there are good beaches there or near there? Thank you.
The Firth of Thames is renowned for its bird life. Its really a tidal estuary and not a beach as such. Still rather lovely. The Thames coastal drive is IMO quite spectacular , especially in the summer when the pohutukawa trees are in full bloom. On the other side of the Coromandel Peninsula are some very lovely sandy beaches. Probably the most well known are Hot Water beach and Cathedral Cove.
Old May 16th 2008, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Flyingdragon is a jewel in the roughFlyingdragon is a jewel in the roughFlyingdragon is a jewel in the roughFlyingdragon is a jewel in the roughFlyingdragon is a jewel in the rough

Thanks, Hokey-Pokey. Sounds like a really nice place for him to be. Could I ask how long it takes to drive from Thames to the beaches you mention?

All the best.
Old May 17th 2008, 7:51 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

After going to Raglan to collect a kayak today, I would deffo say go have a looksee.
You're half an hour from Hamilton, as big a town as anyone needs.
We drove down the coast from Raglan, and that lil bit of paradise has huge fantastic beaches, great surf at some, stunning scenic reserves, tramping tracks et al.
If it's a lifestyle thing with beaches, go. Go now!
If it had a mountain for boarding and skiing we'd be off from here soon as!.
Old May 17th 2008, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

karron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nice

thought the beach at whitianga was quite nice,dont think that was too far from thames?
Old May 17th 2008, 10:46 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by karron
thought the beach at whitianga was quite nice,dont think that was too far from thames?
Buffaloo Beach at whitianga is nice, but can be a little dangerous ripes wise.

I'd have to agree with Ash and Tony, Mount Maunganui to Papamoa is simply beautiful ... coz it's on our doorstep. Had the most gawgus day today weather wise and it reminds me of why we choose here after our reccie 2 years ago.
Old May 17th 2008, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

karron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nice

rips dont trouble me,i dont swim.never go further than the beach and even then im up near the roadside.the mount/papamoa is lovely and with a good amount of shops and work nearby its a good place to live,whereas somewhere like whitianga would give an even more laidback lifestyle.
Old May 18th 2008, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flyingdragon
Thanks, Hokey-Pokey. Sounds like a really nice place for him to be. Could I ask how long it takes to drive from Thames to the beaches you mention?

All the best.
I would allow one hour to arrive at Hot Water and Cathedral Cove beaches. The roads are windy but very scenic. Whangamata beach is also on the Coromandel and probably takes approx one hour from Thames also. Whangamata would probably rate as my favourite of the three. Fantastic spot for surfies, swimmers, kayakers and fishermen. Its a beach with a great deal of character. A beautiful harbour, estuaries and a beautiful golden sand beach.
Old May 18th 2008, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Thanks again, HP. I've forwarded that information to my son. Looks like he most definitely needs to make buying a car his first priority.