Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Best Beach (North or South Island)

Best Beach (North or South Island)

Old May 10th 2008, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

theboyedwards will become famous soon enoughtheboyedwards will become famous soon enough
Default Best Beach (North or South Island)

We (my wife and 2 year old boy) are comtemplating going on 3 month holiday to New Zealand and wanted to rent a house somewhere near (or even on) an amazing beach that isn't too far from civilisation. We are obviously not restricted by location and wondered where you guys thought the best beaches in NZ are....
Old May 10th 2008, 7:26 pm
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all
Default Re: Best Beach (North or South Island)

Originally Posted by theboyedwards
We (my wife and 2 year old boy) are comtemplating going on 3 month holiday to New Zealand and wanted to rent a house somewhere near (or even on) an amazing beach that isn't too far from civilisation. We are obviously not restricted by location and wondered where you guys thought the best beaches in NZ are....
It depends on what u want if its surfing then Piha north west of auckland is great we live in Papamoa near Tauranga here there is a very long beach all the way from mt maunganui for about 23 ks, this is a top surfing beach, also down at mount maunganui there is Pilot bay which faces Tauranga and is very sheltered for the kids. there are many more Like wahi then up the coromandle at whitianga and hot water beach. Don't forget the lakes as well where kids can play, Rotorua, very smelly(volcanic sulphur) and Taupo ehich is beautiful. there are many others
good luck Tony
Old May 10th 2008, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Easy,

Mount Maunganui.
Has the benefit of surf beach one side and a sheltered on the other. The Mount is full of great bars / cafe`s and shops but not too big. Its a 10 min drive into the main city of Tauranga. Only an hours drive to Rotorua, a must visit location. A good starting point to travel up the Corramandel Peninsula which is simply stunning. Plus because of the Kaimai mountain range , we are protected from some weather fronts and have some of the best weather in NZ. If you get bored there are a million and one things to do including climbing the fantastic back drop and iconic Mauao (probably spelt wrong)
Other than that, New Zealand is covered in fantastic and mostly empty beaches. Some are isolated, some have great camp sites, some have small towns, depends really on what you want.
Northland and Paihia and Russell are also stunning with some great boat trips with 90 mile beach (isolated, other than the buses!!) on your doorstep.
I`m sure that you will get many many different opinions so good luck.
Ash
Old May 10th 2008, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

rugbydragon is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to agree!!

The Mount stretching down to Papamoa.

You can find somewhere with no-one else about, or you can head towards the busier parts.

And close to hot pools as well!!
Old May 10th 2008, 8:25 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

All the best ones are a secret!

Northland is full of the most spectacular beaches I've ever seen.
Old May 10th 2008, 8:48 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

My top 5 beaches which you can stay at would be:

(in no particular order)

Tata Beach - Golden Bay/Abel Tasman
Stewart Island
Riverton or Colac Bay - near Invercargill
Kaiteriteri - Nelson/Abel Tasman
Coopers Beach and environs - Doubtless Bay(Northland)

None of them probably meet most European's views on what being close to civilisation means - therein lies the difference between what is a great NZ beach and a normal beach (IMO).
Old May 10th 2008, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

theboyedwards will become famous soon enoughtheboyedwards will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys, that's really useful. I can now start researching.
Old May 10th 2008, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

Abel Tasman Ntl Park has some spectacular beaches but not accessible by road (only 2 day hike or canoe). Well worth it though if it's beaches that you're after.
Old May 10th 2008, 11:16 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
My top 5 beaches which you can stay at would be:

(in no particular order)

Tata Beach - Golden Bay/Abel Tasman
Stewart Island
Riverton or Colac Bay - near Invercargill
Kaiteriteri - Nelson/Abel Tasman
Coopers Beach and environs - Doubtless Bay(Northland)

None of them probably meet most European's views on what being close to civilisation means - therein lies the difference between what is a great NZ beach and a normal beach (IMO).

Have to agree with you on Kaiteriteri
Old May 11th 2008, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of

Ohope beach is pretty good.
Old May 12th 2008, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

PVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of light

Waimarama in Hawkes Bay in my opinion
Old May 12th 2008, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Others have said the best beaches in the NI. In the South the problem is temperature. There are lovely beaches at Kaikoura, and Akaroa. Further south there is a small beach at Timaru and surf beaches at Oamaru and Dunedin. The most gorgeous SI beaches are further south, but they are so cold that the sea lions and seals have them to themselves mostly.
Old May 12th 2008, 2:20 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

The far north beaches are lovely. One of my favourites as a child was Whatuwhiwhi
http://www.whatuwhiwhi.co.nz/photoalbum.html

Possibly wouldn't meet your criteria about not being too far from civilisation though.

Another one i liked was Waipu Cove - about 20 minutes south of Whangarei
http://www.campwaipucove.com/Camp_Wa..._ID=3918_.html

But, the only beach i have been to recently is Worser Bay (Wellington). So maybe i am just missing white sand!!!
Old May 12th 2008, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Although Coopers Beach is nice it's a pity its rather spoilt by the dreadful housing stock on the other side of the road. It's the same further up the coast where the beaches have been spoilt by the environment.
Old May 12th 2008, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I think Pakiri is stunning, something about the whole setting including the islands out to sea.
Bethells Beach west of Auckland seems a bit less wild than Piha etc and has a nice safe stream for the kids to splash about in.
I'm obviously biased, but I also really like my home beach at Orewa - not as "picture-postcard" as the others, but great for windsurfing, kitesurfing etc and a really safe beach for kids to swim off and have fun on. And, it's only 2 min drive from my house

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.