Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Bachelor of Health Science (Medical Imaging)

Bachelor of Health Science (Medical Imaging)

Old Dec 21st 2010, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bachelor of Health Science (Medical Imaging)

Sorry, just a bit confused, thought you were applying for 2012.
Anyway........... well done.

Gill
Old Sep 30th 2012, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

esperanzaisabella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Parking ticket advice please

Originally Posted by zaras dad
Hi all,

Parked my car at Westfield mall in henderson one day at 0855 in a 240min park. I was ticketed at 0905 as being "unauthorised parking". I went into the mall but didnt buy anything. I appealed and theyre asking for a receipt as proof - aint gonna happen. Any ideas (that might work)

cheers
Hi zaras dad,

So sorry to hear your experience. I must be careful next time then as I often go to the mall for more than 1 hour without purchasing anything. It happened to my friend, she parked in the mall and went straight across the street to buy something then she went back to the mall to do her grocery shopping. When she returned to her car she found a ticket. She appealed and got asked for proof of receipts but she didn't keep the receipt so she went back to the mall and asked a print out of her receipt. Few weeks later she received another letter from the parking ticket company saying that she didn't have to pay for it. Thank god

So maybe just try to go to one of the shops in the mall and ask for a receipt it might work

By the way i read your older post in 2010 but the thread already closed and I could not reply. Here it is http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=664742

I assume you are still doing your radiography course at unitec or finishing? I just applied for the medical imaging programme and anxiously waiting to be selected for an interview. I've already done a degree in nursing for two and a half years however i realized that nursing is not for me so I decided to change my programme to medical imaging at unitec. I have already done Anatomy and physiology (level4, 5 & 6) I've also done some professional course that involves learning about communication, caring, treaty of waitangi and etc.. which I believe they are quite similar to radiography course. Unitec might be able to cross credit some of my papers. But i definitely have to do the imaging science, radiation, physics and etc that involves in medical imaging.

Anyway, if you don't mind sharing your experiences with me that would be very helpful. Here are the following questions:

1) What was the interview like, was it hard? Was the interview quite formal like going for a job interview? Did it involve writing as well?
2) What were the questions?
3) How are the radiation physics courses? Are they hard? I enjoy science such as biology, human anatomy and physiology but I am not sure about physics as I am not good with maths either.
4) What placements have you done so far and where? ADHB, WHDB, private clinics?
5) Can you choose where to be placed for placements or they allocate you without your decision?
6) I was told that from 1st semester you start going to placement twice a week, is it hard? Especially being in placement twice a week and three days a week in lectures.

I remember in nursing, we didn't start our placements until the second semester it was 6-13 weeks (Tuesday-Friday) per semester.

I hope you can answer all my questions You can private message me if you like but for some reason this forum does not allow me to private message you. Maybe because I'm still new?

<snip>

Good luck with your studies and i hope to hear from you soon.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 1st 2012 at 12:24 am. Reason: not a good idea to put up your personals on an open forum.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 12:25 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I have copied over the post to the closed thread. Hopefully Zara's Dad will be along shortly.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 1:39 am
Just Joined

Hi BEVS thank you for doing this. I hope Zaras dad will reply to my questions.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: MRT

Originally Posted by esperanzaisabella
Anyway, if you don't mind sharing your experiences with me that would be very helpful.
No Problems. I'm in 2nd year and its hard work. As well as the clinical placement days listed below, you work during the holidays too. So for the summer break you do 45 days at hospital and get about 3-4 weeks off for summer break. (you can put your request in for what days you want on/off - its not usually a problem). For a 2 week break (like now) you get 1 week off and 1 week is spent in hospital. My 1 week off is going to be in library unfortunately

With WDHB you get paid for 45 days per year ie summer break (or you can get paid in other break but it'll be deducted from your 45 total). When you are rostered for a weekend (usually once every 12 weeks in 2nd year) you get paid time and a half.

1) What was the interview like, was it hard? Was the interview quite formal like going for a job interview? Did it involve writing as well?

Theyre quite informal really. Usually you will be interviewed by 2 people.Usually a qualified MRT and a tutor

2) What were the questions?

The usual. Why do you want to do it? What skills do you think you need? Are you aware of what is expected of you?

3) How are the radiation physics courses? Are they hard? I enjoy science such as biology, human anatomy and physiology but I am not sure about physics as I am not good with maths either.

I find it very hard. But thats me . Ive always found the physics hard from when I was at school - 24 years ago

4) What placements have you done so far and where? ADHB, WHDB, private clinics?

I'm based with WDHB - so my time is spent mostly at North Shore hospital and other times at Waitakere.

5) Can you choose where to be placed for placements or they allocate you without your decision?

You can state a preference but at the end of the day they will place you where theres a space. There are usually 6 slots for WDHB. The rest goto Auckland DHB, Counties manakau, Northland (whangarei) and waikato

6) I was told that from 1st semester you start going to placement twice a week, is it hard? Especially being in placement twice a week and three days a week in lectures.

Thats correct. From memory you do Mon-weds at Unitec henderson in 1st year and Thursday/Friday at clinical placement. In 2nd year we do Mon and tuesday at hospital, Weds/Thurs at unitec (8.30 till 3 or 4 pm) and friday off (which is good to catch up with assignments/study etc). 3rd year you do 3 days at hospital 2 at unitec

Hope that helps - if you have anymore questions then fire away.

cheers

Old Oct 1st 2012, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Default Re: MRT

Originally Posted by zaras dad
No Problems. I'm in 2nd year and its hard work. As well as the clinical placement days listed below, you work during the holidays too. So for the summer break you do 45 days at hospital and get about 3-4 weeks off for summer break. (you can put your request in for what days you want on/off - its not usually a problem). For a 2 week break (like now) you get 1 week off and 1 week is spent in hospital. My 1 week off is going to be in library unfortunately

Zaras dad, thank you for the prompt reply. I sent you a private message. I hope to hear more answers from you
Old May 27th 2013, 6:43 am
Just Joined

rebecca2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I am also interested in applying for the Unitec degree in Medical Imaging for 2014. Does any one know if you are able to study relevant individual papers at AUT as a prep course as or do you need to complete the one year course?

Thanks
Old May 27th 2013, 6:49 am
Just Joined

Hi Rebecca,

Have you already applied? Be prepared for interview as part of the application process. I had an interview last year December and my application was unsuccessful. They interviewed over 100 applicants and they only accepted 30 students for the medical imaging programme.

Let me know how you go.
Old May 27th 2013, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Hi esperanzaisabella,

No not applied yet. I have a degree from UK but not science related, I am hoping this will not be an issue. Do you have a medical background?
Old May 27th 2013, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Sorry esperanzaisabella, just read your post and realised that you have previously studied nursing so already answered my question about having a medical background!