Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Arranging Employment from the UK

Arranging Employment from the UK

Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:20 pm
Dragging 4 kids with us..

Jules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud of
Default Re: Arranging Employment from the UK

Hi. First posting.

We went to the NZ Expo at Earls court in mid-October. On the back of that, I was lucky enough to be offered a job.

The Expo is a bit hit and miss, with lots of stands and thousands of attendees - you can come away feeling nothing has been achieved. The next few weeks can be spent waiting for feedback whilst the prospective employers fire out the standard enquiry email to the thousand of contact names they received.

However, it is worth going. In my case I met a few interesting people, made the effort to go to a couple of supporting seminars during the same week at other venues - Within a month of the expo (during which their was a face-to-face interview in London whilst they were still in the country and multiple telephone interviews with folks back in NZ) I had a firm job offer.

I feel very fortunate that in having found employment ahead of arrival and it certainly takes some of the stress away from the impending move.

I start in Wellington on 5th March and we're just waiting for our house sale to go through and all is done. Fingers crossed.

Oh.. and hi to everyone on here...
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jules & Danny
Hi. First posting.

We went to the NZ Expo at Earls court in mid-October. On the back of that, I was lucky enough to be offered a job.

The Expo is a bit hit and miss, with lots of stands and thousands of attendees - you can come away feeling nothing has been achieved. The next few weeks can be spent waiting for feedback whilst the prospective employers fire out the standard enquiry email to the thousand of contact names they received.

However, it is worth going. In my case I met a few interesting people, made the effort to go to a couple of supporting seminars during the same week at other venues - Within a month of the expo (during which their was a face-to-face interview in London whilst they were still in the country and multiple telephone interviews with folks back in NZ) I had a firm job offer.

I feel very fortunate that in having found employment ahead of arrival and it certainly takes some of the stress away from the impending move.

I start in Wellington on 5th March and we're just waiting for our house sale to go through and all is done. Fingers crossed.

Oh.. and hi to everyone on here...
Hellooooo

welcome to our corner of the BE website

Good luck with your move, have you had a definite offer on your house? thats what generally holds up most people...we left ours in the hands of a solicitor to sign on our behalf, which was a scary thing to do, but had to be done

see you floating about soon

Dawn

PS: what you going to work as?
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:17 pm
Dragging 4 kids with us..

Jules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kwprwn
have you had a definite offer on your house?
hmmm.. offer is a such a strong word.. we've had a couple of empty gestures which I have rejected out of hand and I expect the end of this week to be telling. I am not worried, but I can see the concern beginning to rise in my wife (Jules).

I expect there will be a cross over between our departure and contract exchange - such is the wonder of UK house selling, and I suppose the only concern that will bring with it is cash availability to cover the immediate costs of moving and arriving.

Anyway, thank you for the welcome... I shall be working as a dull techy nerd and my wife will be doing exactly what she does here, which is absolutely everything else that has to be done that I don't do as part of my job.

We recently added another one to the litter and we now have four kids that require watering, feeding and delivering into a better life (so we're hoping)..
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jules & Danny
hmmm.. offer is a such a strong word.. we've had a couple of empty gestures which I have rejected out of hand and I expect the end of this week to be telling. I am not worried, but I can see the concern beginning to rise in my wife (Jules).

I expect there will be a cross over between our departure and contract exchange - such is the wonder of UK house selling, and I suppose the only concern that will bring with it is cash availability to cover the immediate costs of moving and arriving.

Anyway, thank you for the welcome... I shall be working as a dull techy nerd and my wife will be doing exactly what she does here, which is absolutely everything else that has to be done that I don't do as part of my job.

We recently added another one to the litter and we now have four kids that require watering, feeding and delivering into a better life (so we're hoping)..
The selling of a house is a stressful enough business without the moving overseas as well, but it is such a relief to get it all sorted...they work totally different over here, you have to commit to a definite date to go "unconditional" on a house here and afterthat if you pull out it will cost you lots (or so my pushy real estate woman told me) you then have a completion date which is when you sign

Our uk date for the selling of house was friday 13 oct, and we had put this as our unconditional date for buying NZ house...so I had to ask for a 2 day extension just to make sure that they had signed on the dotted line...I was terrified it would all go horribly wrong at last minute and that he would pull out, and as he wasnt signing till lunchtime uk time, I was thinking that he could pull out after our unconditional time had passed due to time difference and all that

Four children...you must be mad children scare me, I am sure she will most definitely have her hands full, especially with a new one

Last edited by kwprwn; Jan 17th 2007 at 11:42 pm. Reason: forgot something ...again