Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

All the things you love about New Zealand

All the things you love about New Zealand

Old Mar 31st 2008, 9:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: All the things you love about New Zealand

Bo-Jangles. Karma is a-coming your way for that stonking good post.

'Why did we come to NZ?' *Shrugs shoulder like a stroppy teenager* I dunno, just did I s'pose.
Especially for that.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I used to count every cent in the supermarket worry myself silly whether we were spending too much, shivering in a cold house, worried if the leccy bill was high, could we afford to run another radiator, or turn the thermostat up?
I understand that and how you feel. It was the same for us when we first arrived in NZ - basically the concept of Kiwi $$$ was unfamiliar....:curse: That was the problem! so we just spent money as much as we needed for (first) a couple of months, then Mum quickly realized that we were doing something very wrong....! moneywise then she began counting every cent in the supermarket worry herself etc

(like many others here) we also brought "BIG Cash" into NZ but that doesn't last too long really.

Last edited by crap coffee; Mar 31st 2008 at 1:57 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beetrooper
They look scrummy I will have to try them when I get over there

Cheers
You don't have to wait that long......www.sweetstall.com sell all kinds of NZ and Oz sweets. I know, I have a standing order for Mighty Perky Nanas
Old Mar 31st 2008, 5:23 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by crap coffee
me too; $64,000.00 NZD = £25,478.31 GBP (only) :curse:
Damn! NZD$64K looks mighty fine to me.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:55 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Bo-Jangles and very much like I feel too. You really do have to give it at least two years to get back to where you were when you left 'home'. You've got to be prepared to start at the bottom again and hopefully work your way up.

What I love about New Zealand? First and foremost - my friends. I had a horrible job when I got here but I made two friends and they've become my family over the last 2.5 years. I don't hate Auckland but I would like to live in New Zealand (as my OH says ) - I spent the first 27 years of my life in the wop wops and I'm feeling a hankering to go back to something close to that.

I love the way you get a chance here - yes, I've seen the Tall Poppy thing in play but tbh the person on the receiving end of it usually deserved it. Being gracious is very undervalued.

I've lived in 4 countries so I do feel I'm qualified to make comparisons - if I had that 4mil I'd like a holiday home in Holland but I wouldn't want my permanent home to be anywhere other than here and I can't quantify why I feel like that - disseminating isn't really very good for a person so I just accept that little bubble of happiness in my belly and be thankful for it.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:00 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
Damn! NZD$64K looks mighty fine to me.
ah well us spoilt Brits do struggle to survive on it what being used to our new motors (cars not engines...!) every three years, foreign holidays, punative mortgages (oh it's worse here!!), pensions (no money for one in NZ????), etc etc
In fact got a package from me mum this morning- decent toys for the kids and some M&S for MrsL - I'll probably get a letter or something
Many Brits I know earn less in $$ than they did in ££ and that is a bit of a hit even if you are cashed up!
MrsL took a 45% pay cut and mine was 60% (now more like 90%!!)- that's gotta hurt!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
ah well us spoilt Brits do struggle to survive on it what being used to our new motors (cars not engines...!) every three years, foreign holidays, punative mortgages (oh it's worse here!!), pensions (no money for one in NZ????), etc etc
In fact got a package from me mum this morning- decent toys for the kids and some M&S for MrsL - I'll probably get a letter or something
Many Brits I know earn less in $$ than they did in ££ and that is a bit of a hit even if you are cashed up!
MrsL took a 45% pay cut and mine was 60% (now more like 90%!!)- that's gotta hurt!

Nice Mum

Absolutely - we (Brits) all hurt by that

Last edited by crap coffee; Mar 31st 2008 at 8:42 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:18 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

I love the big sky and all the stars
Sitting outside at night in the spa ( spa!!?? in Glasgow haha) watching said stars.
Cafe culture mentioned by Nerine
The beaches
We're better off financially
More laid back way of life, where we are, no perceived pressure to have new cars etc
Our friends - who make all the difference to our lives and how good it is
All our animals that we would not have had the space for before
Our 'wooden shed'
The way you feel a bit braver, maybe it's because you had the courage to make a huge move, and are able to do things you would never have even considered before.
The sunsets and sunrises
The smell of the place
Fantastic neighbours, which we didn't really have in the Uk latterly.
We have a boat! ( a tiny one)
Year round diving, I tried this in Scotland and almost froze
Super friendly people
Smiling people
Not nearly so much litter ( not saying there isnt any, just less)
Less stress
Less work
Outdoor life
Growing our own fruit and veg never had a garden before so this is rather lovely
Great restaurants
Fishing
Barbeques

Last edited by pixi-dust; Mar 31st 2008 at 10:25 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
I love the big sky and all the stars
Sitting outside at night in the spa ( spa!!?? in Glasgow haha) watching said stars.
Cafe culture mentioned by Nerine
The beaches
We're better off financially
More laid back way of life, where we are, no perceived pressure to have new cars etc
Our friends - who make all the difference to our lives and how good it is
All our animals that we would not have had the space for before
Our 'wooden shed'
The way you feel a bit braver, maybe it's because you had the courage to make a huge move, and are able to do things you would never have even considered before.
The sunsets and sunrises
The smell of the place
Fantastic neighbours, which we didn't really have in the Uk latterly.
We have a boat! ( a tiny one)
Year round diving, I tried this in Scotland and almost froze
Super friendly people
Smiling people
Not nearly so much litter ( not saying there isnt any, just less)
Less stress
Less work
Outdoor life
Growing our own fruit and veg never had a garden before so this is rather lovely
Great restaurants
Fishing
Barbeques
I have only visited family but that about sums it up. If we were younger we would be there too.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:47 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
I have only visited family but that about sums it up. If we were younger we would be there too.
i was hoping it would be the lack of people moaning about the country they lived in..... alas it was not to be

Not to worry ...

The fact that in 8 months i have not seen a dog sh*te on a footpath!

(and that i have seen a white dog poo... now I remember when we used to have those in the UK.... ahh the things from your youth..)
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:38 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
Nice Mum ...
opened tonight - Brio train stuff for little-ee and star wars figures (10!) for big un! Thanks mum!!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lardyl
opened tonight - Brio train stuff for little-ee and star wars figures (10!) for big un! Thanks mum!!
you are very lucky lardyl. enjoy!

I can't expect such a thing from my mum.... she doesn't bother...
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:25 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dustybin

(and that i have seen a white dog poo... now I remember when we used to have those in the UK.... ahh the things from your youth..)
I remember those! Calcium deposits in the shite apparently.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
All the coffee shops and cafes and restaurants in Wellington - the fact that you rarely get a dud takeaway coffee (sorry Crapcoffee);

the quality of the light - hard to explain until you've been here;

the tropical summer sounds of tui birdsong and the cricket-like insects whose NZ name escapes me, the large bright orange butterflies;

the singing insects, most likey cicadas, theres the small ones about 2cm long that make a little tizzing sound then theres the larger ones about twice the length that make the really loud complex songs with the clicks/claps, very impressive.

i'll agree on the light, its very bright but I found the sun to be unbearable on my skin even in winter, it seemed to make me itch within seconds.

whilst i lived there my favourite thing about NZ were those very cool aucland tree wetas, the ones that would suddenly appear on a windowsill, i remember the first time i found one of those, it was a huge male with an even huger head, i remember thinking 'oh my god, i didnt know they were that big!' it was hanging from a rose bush, he was actually really sluggish, probably parasitized but at first i thought it was a big prawn shell that somebody had thrown!!

Last edited by bugman; Apr 1st 2008 at 1:52 pm.