British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   All the things you love about New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/all-things-you-love-about-new-zealand-525398/)

Nerine Mar 30th 2008 12:45 am

All the things you love about New Zealand

Here's a thread for people to say what they love about New Zealand and why they like living there so much.

I used to love the winter sunshine in Auckland - so much warmth.

Bo-Jangles Mar 30th 2008 1:29 am

Re: All the things you love about New Zealand

I'm blissed out at present with the amazing summer we've had, so my likes and dislikes are prone to some seasonal adjustment. I'm truly dreading, more this year than any other year, the fact that it all has to come to an end soon. I'd be delighted if only we could have this late summer feeling for the next six months.

Despite all the crap and flak that gets posted about Auckland and the North Shore, we do live in what is marketed as the 'lifestyle city' and to a large extent it is true. I don't know anywhere in the UK where I could afford to live in a four bed detached house with a reasonable size garden, 12kms from a major city centre, within ten to fifteen minutes from a range of nice beaches or bush, with incredible views over the gulf. :thumbup:

I never go into the CBD, unless strictly necessary for a special occasion, or with visitors and even then I try to avoid it. There's nothing IMHO to go there for and with new shopping centre now open at Albany, absolutely everything we could ever need is available locally, so yes life is sweet most of the time.

Ask me after the clocks change next week and I can guarantee it will be a whole different story. :lol:

Marika 38 Mar 30th 2008 8:30 am

I could list lots, but one thing i love every day,

FREE BEACH PARKING and so much of it here, for somewhere like Papamoa and the Mount, that are holiday destinations, and it does get lots of visitors at holiday times, masses of free beach parking is quite something I think.
Would be intrested to know if its the same everywhere in N.Z. :thumbup:

Nerine Mar 30th 2008 8:41 am

I guess it probably is, I never paid for parking anywhere other than Auckland city centre and the airports.

Steve and Julie Mar 30th 2008 8:46 am

There is so much to fall in love with in NZ
Clean air, every day living, so much more relaxed, BBQs, the Scenery, beaches, the Mount, the Harbour - Fishing, the lack of cars on long journeys, I could go on and on.

Ted Logan Mar 30th 2008 8:51 am

Green Lip mussels, L&P and pineapple lumps :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Marika 38 Mar 30th 2008 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Ted Logan (Post 6131052)

Nice one Ted. :) 3 more good reasons.

Spudgun Mar 30th 2008 10:52 am

Nope, sorry. Cant think of anything to be honest. Its alright I suppose. On a good day, but then again, I came here from the highlands not Croydon or Hamersmith. Mind you I do like chocolate fish.

luvwelly Mar 30th 2008 11:07 am

All the coffee shops and cafes and restaurants in Wellington - the fact that you rarely get a dud takeaway coffee (sorry Crapcoffee);

the quality of the light - hard to explain until you've been here;

the tropical summer sounds of tui birdsong and the cricket-like insects whose NZ name escapes me, the large bright orange butterflies;

the deserted beaches;

the fantastic scenery;

calling doctors and teachers by their first names: general informality;

the slow but deserted roads; (NB don't like the unsealed roads);

the fact that everyone I meet seems to have some connection to the UK;

the fact that so many things remind me of the UK e.g. the Queen on the currency and stamps; fish and chips, pies.

Starting to get deja vu :lol:....haven't we done this thread before?

this charming man Mar 30th 2008 2:19 pm

Stella and Guinness(please note this can be used in most forums/threads.)

Beetrooper Mar 30th 2008 2:57 pm

What are pineapple lumps?

Originally Posted by Ted Logan (Post 6131052)

Stef_Paul Mar 30th 2008 6:08 pm

Yay, how nice to see a positive thread about NZ :thumbup:

Where do I start...the obvious would be the scenery, clean air, lovely long warm summers (and a long one this year) and the beaches.

I would also add Lake Tekapo and Lake Pukaki...I still can't believe how blue and beautiful they are, especially Pukaki with Mount Cook in the background.

How much there is to do outdoors and how it is encouraged...mountain bike riding, walking, swimming, boating etc...

The people...most are very very friendly and will try to do anything they can to help. I could give a few examples but I would probably be late for work.

No traffic jams (where I live anyway) I have only ever sat in 1 traffic jam whilst I have been here and was Easter weekend up in Wellington. I had one everyday in England to and from work.

How cheap the car insurance is...I am 24 and drive a 2.7 Toyota Surf insured for me, my husband and anyone I give the keys to for just uner $40 a month! You wouldn't want to know how much I paid in England for a Toyota Celica!

Tip Top Ice cream...yummy :D

I could go on and on...love it here. Yes there are negatives before anyone says I am being unreal but why focus on them? Nothing and noone is perfect but NZ is more perfect for me than the UK.:)

j19fmm Mar 30th 2008 6:09 pm

That'll be 'fush and chups' , Mighty Perky Nanas and my New Zealand family..:)

this charming man Mar 30th 2008 6:15 pm

Has anybody mentioned Guinness yet?

Ted Logan Mar 30th 2008 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Beetrooper (Post 6132485)
What are pineapple lumps?

They are sweets with pineapple flavour, chocolate coated on the outside. It's just a bit of kiwana