Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advice on singapore Area,Hotels etc

Advice on singapore Area,Hotels etc

Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:18 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 67
chay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant future
Default Advice on singapore Area,Hotels etc

Hello
Could anyone give us some advise on singapore i.e where to stay,prices of transport from airport + good hotels that welcome children as we have two little horrors (2+4), how far is the zoo and is it worth going to? is there any particular area that we should be looking at .Any other advise would be very gratfull.We are planning to be leaving for new zealand mid april sometime and was looking at spending a couple of days in singapore to give us and the kids a little breake. As most of you know we got our residencie just before christmas and we put our house on the market 2 weeks ago and sold it that day fingers crossed that it goes through ok.
chay and kerrie is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 3:13 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Torbay, North Shore
Posts: 159
DiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to all
Default Re: Advice on singapore Area,Hotels etc

Originally Posted by chay and kerrie View Post
Hello
Could anyone give us some advise on singapore i.e where to stay,prices of transport from airport + good hotels that welcome children as we have two little horrors (2+4), how far is the zoo and is it worth going to? is there any particular area that we should be looking at .Any other advise would be very gratfull.We are planning to be leaving for new zealand mid april sometime and was looking at spending a couple of days in singapore to give us and the kids a little breake. As most of you know we got our residencie just before christmas and we put our house on the market 2 weeks ago and sold it that day fingers crossed that it goes through ok.
Can't help I'm afraid but am keen to see what response you get as we are stopping in Singapore for 2 days at the end of March on our way over. We can't wait and hope to visit the zoo also if it is recommended! I have studied the internet for ages to find a nice hotel that wont break the bank but as soon as I think I have got it sussd I read a bad review about the service/state of the place. Any help please, anyone!!

Thanks

Amy
DiffordA is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 6:32 pm
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
poppets's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: waikanae
Posts: 4,148
poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on singapore Area,Hotels etc

Originally Posted by chay and kerrie View Post
Hello
Could anyone give us some advise on singapore i.e where to stay,prices of transport from airport + good hotels that welcome children as we have two little horrors (2+4), how far is the zoo and is it worth going to? is there any particular area that we should be looking at .Any other advise would be very gratfull.We are planning to be leaving for new zealand mid april sometime and was looking at spending a couple of days in singapore to give us and the kids a little breake. As most of you know we got our residencie just before christmas and we put our house on the market 2 weeks ago and sold it that day fingers crossed that it goes through ok.
try doing a thread search here as i seem to remember this was done in some detail a few month s back, which may be of help to you xx
poppets is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 6:37 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
poppets's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: waikanae
Posts: 4,148
poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on singapore Area,Hotels etc

Originally Posted by poppets View Post
try doing a thread search here as i seem to remember this was done in some detail a few month s back, which may be of help to you xx
try here
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388862
about page 2 , onwards should be where you need to look
poppets is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 6:49 pm
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
poppets's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: waikanae
Posts: 4,148
poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on singapore Area,Hotels etc

& here on the far east forum
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...27#post4306327
poppets is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:48 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Methven, NZ
Posts: 82
beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Advice on singapore Area,Hotels etc

Hi,
We travelled over in October with 2 & 5yr old horrors!!!
We stopped over 2 nights in Singapore for same reasons BUT by the time you get to the hotel mid afternoon we were shattered, the humidity is really bad (i'd been before but had forgotten that!), the you have to check you hotel in morning for the night flight.
We decided we wasted so much time hanging around etc we would have been better going straight through.
Children didn't sleep at night so tired and grumpy all day.
With so much luggage (6 cases plus 2 car seats and hand luggage!!) very hard. At least if go direct luggage gets checked to NZ so in the 3-4 hours at singapore airport you only have buggy & hand luggage. There are showers available and plently of space so the children can run around.
We stayed at Novatel Clarke Quay, in nice area walk to Raffles and parks. MRT (underground) very good, cheap taxi from airport to hotel etc.
Is good for children but be prepared it may not help on jet lag and getting children into right sleeping patterns.
Judy
beaudixon is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:16 pm
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
poppets's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: waikanae
Posts: 4,148
poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on singapore Area,Hotels etc

Originally Posted by beaudixon View Post
Hi,
We travelled over in October with 2 & 5yr old horrors!!!
We stopped over 2 nights in Singapore for same reasons BUT by the time you get to the hotel mid afternoon we were shattered, the humidity is really bad (i'd been before but had forgotten that!), the you have to check you hotel in morning for the night flight.
We decided we wasted so much time hanging around etc we would have been better going straight through.
Children didn't sleep at night so tired and grumpy all day.
With so much luggage (6 cases plus 2 car seats and hand luggage!!) very hard. At least if go direct luggage gets checked to NZ so in the 3-4 hours at singapore airport you only have buggy & hand luggage. There are showers available and plently of space so the children can run around.
We stayed at Novatel Clarke Quay, in nice area walk to Raffles and parks. MRT (underground) very good, cheap taxi from airport to hotel etc.
Is good for children but be prepared it may not help on jet lag and getting children into right sleeping patterns.
Judy
we had a 1 night stop & singapore airlines checked our luggage all the way through from heathrow to auckland, we had change of clothes in hand luggage. i agree about the kids sleep patterns but my two did ok, we had a night flight from heathrow & a night flight from singapore. the night in the hotel was ok, it hit them more once in NZ, & after a couple of bad nights , medised thye next bedtime worked a treat, hey presto jet lag sorted


(you can book an airport shuttle bus/cab that seats about 6 so will take all the luggage to if you need to)
poppets is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:37 am
  #8  
Citizenships collector...
 
urbanproject's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: St Mary's Bay, Auckland (NZ)
Posts: 239
urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Advice on singapore Area,Hotels etc

Originally Posted by chay and kerrie View Post
Hello
Could anyone give us some advise on singapore i.e where to stay,prices of transport from airport + good hotels that welcome children as we have two little horrors (2+4), how far is the zoo and is it worth going to? is there any particular area that we should be looking at .Any other advise would be very gratfull.We are planning to be leaving for new zealand mid april sometime and was looking at spending a couple of days in singapore to give us and the kids a little breake. As most of you know we got our residencie just before christmas and we put our house on the market 2 weeks ago and sold it that day fingers crossed that it goes through ok.
Hiya chay and kerrie,

We booked through the Singapore Air website on the Singapore stopover package, on our way to NZ. Spent 3 nights over there at the Shangri La hotel, which was a really good hotel. I thought it would be far from the city centre from the map we had but it ended up being right around the corner from the main attractions. We had free transfers and arrived at the hotel at 9AM but were able to check in straight away.

Definitely worth going to the zoo, the stopover package had that activity, we were supposed to spend 3hrs there but ended up staying the whole day there The kids will love it, we even got to feed the animals. Can't remember how far it is from the city but it cost us about $15 for the taxi ride back (that's Singapore Dollars). Also recommend the night safari with the nocturnal animals.

Good luck with the move, hope this helps,

Jen
urbanproject is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 10:20 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 67
chay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Advice on singapore Area,Hotels etc

Originally Posted by urbanproject View Post
Hiya chay and kerrie,

We booked through the Singapore Air website on the Singapore stopover package, on our way to NZ. Spent 3 nights over there at the Shangri La hotel, which was a really good hotel. I thought it would be far from the city centre from the map we had but it ended up being right around the corner from the main attractions. We had free transfers and arrived at the hotel at 9AM but were able to check in straight away.

Definitely worth going to the zoo, the stopover package had that activity, we were supposed to spend 3hrs there but ended up staying the whole day there The kids will love it, we even got to feed the animals. Can't remember how far it is from the city but it cost us about $15 for the taxi ride back (that's Singapore Dollars). Also recommend the night safari with the nocturnal animals.

Good luck with the move, hope this helps,

Jen
Hi Jen
Thanks for that, will have a look sounds good!.I have looked at singapore website but did not see the stopover package,but will have another look thanks again,any other information would be helpful.
chay and kerrie is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.