British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Advice on singapore Area,Hotels etc (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/advice-singapore-area-hotels-etc-420819/)

chay and kerrie Jan 22nd 2007 12:18 pm

Advice on singapore Area,Hotels etc

Hello
Could anyone give us some advise on singapore i.e where to stay,prices of transport from airport + good hotels that welcome children as we have two little horrors (2+4), how far is the zoo and is it worth going to? is there any particular area that we should be looking at .Any other advise would be very gratfull.We are planning to be leaving for new zealand mid april sometime and was looking at spending a couple of days in singapore to give us and the kids a little breake. As most of you know we got our residencie just before christmas and we put our house on the market 2 weeks ago and sold it that day fingers crossed that it goes through ok.

DiffordA Jan 22nd 2007 3:13 pm

Re: Advice on singapore Area,Hotels etc

Originally Posted by chay and kerrie (Post 4312057)
Hello
Could anyone give us some advise on singapore i.e where to stay,prices of transport from airport + good hotels that welcome children as we have two little horrors (2+4), how far is the zoo and is it worth going to? is there any particular area that we should be looking at .Any other advise would be very gratfull.We are planning to be leaving for new zealand mid april sometime and was looking at spending a couple of days in singapore to give us and the kids a little breake. As most of you know we got our residencie just before christmas and we put our house on the market 2 weeks ago and sold it that day fingers crossed that it goes through ok.

Can't help I'm afraid but am keen to see what response you get as we are stopping in Singapore for 2 days at the end of March on our way over. We can't wait and hope to visit the zoo also if it is recommended! I have studied the internet for ages to find a nice hotel that wont break the bank but as soon as I think I have got it sussd I read a bad review about the service/state of the place. Any help please, anyone!!

Thanks

Amy

poppets Jan 22nd 2007 6:32 pm

Hello

try doing a thread search here as i seem to remember this was done in some detail a few month s back, which may be of help to you xx

poppets Jan 22nd 2007 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by poppets (Post 4313207)
try doing a thread search here as i seem to remember this was done in some detail a few month s back, which may be of help to you xx

try here
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388862
about page 2 , onwards should be where you need to look

poppets Jan 22nd 2007 6:49 pm

& here on the far east forum
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...27#post4306327

beaudixon Jan 22nd 2007 7:48 pm

Hi,
We travelled over in October with 2 & 5yr old horrors!!!
We stopped over 2 nights in Singapore for same reasons BUT by the time you get to the hotel mid afternoon we were shattered, the humidity is really bad (i'd been before but had forgotten that!), the you have to check you hotel in morning for the night flight.
We decided we wasted so much time hanging around etc we would have been better going straight through.
Children didn't sleep at night so tired and grumpy all day.
With so much luggage (6 cases plus 2 car seats and hand luggage!!) very hard. At least if go direct luggage gets checked to NZ so in the 3-4 hours at singapore airport you only have buggy & hand luggage. There are showers available and plently of space so the children can run around.
We stayed at Novatel Clarke Quay, in nice area walk to Raffles and parks. MRT (underground) very good, cheap taxi from airport to hotel etc.
Is good for children but be prepared it may not help on jet lag and getting children into right sleeping patterns.
Judy

poppets Jan 22nd 2007 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by beaudixon (Post 4313452)
Hi,
We travelled over in October with 2 & 5yr old horrors!!!
We stopped over 2 nights in Singapore for same reasons BUT by the time you get to the hotel mid afternoon we were shattered, the humidity is really bad (i'd been before but had forgotten that!), the you have to check you hotel in morning for the night flight.
We decided we wasted so much time hanging around etc we would have been better going straight through.
Children didn't sleep at night so tired and grumpy all day.
With so much luggage (6 cases plus 2 car seats and hand luggage!!) very hard. At least if go direct luggage gets checked to NZ so in the 3-4 hours at singapore airport you only have buggy & hand luggage. There are showers available and plently of space so the children can run around.
We stayed at Novatel Clarke Quay, in nice area walk to Raffles and parks. MRT (underground) very good, cheap taxi from airport to hotel etc.
Is good for children but be prepared it may not help on jet lag and getting children into right sleeping patterns.
Judy

we had a 1 night stop & singapore airlines checked our luggage all the way through from heathrow to auckland, we had change of clothes in hand luggage. i agree about the kids sleep patterns but my two did ok, we had a night flight from heathrow & a night flight from singapore. the night in the hotel was ok, it hit them more once in NZ, & after a couple of bad nights , medised thye next bedtime worked a treat, hey presto jet lag sorted :thumbup:

(you can book an airport shuttle bus/cab that seats about 6 so will take all the luggage to if you need to)

urbanproject Jan 23rd 2007 8:37 am

Hello

Hiya chay and kerrie,

We booked through the Singapore Air website on the Singapore stopover package, on our way to NZ. Spent 3 nights over there at the Shangri La hotel, which was a really good hotel. I thought it would be far from the city centre from the map we had but it ended up being right around the corner from the main attractions. We had free transfers and arrived at the hotel at 9AM but were able to check in straight away.

Definitely worth going to the zoo, the stopover package had that activity, we were supposed to spend 3hrs there but ended up staying the whole day there :thumbup: The kids will love it, we even got to feed the animals. Can't remember how far it is from the city but it cost us about $15 for the taxi ride back (that's Singapore Dollars). Also recommend the night safari with the nocturnal animals.

Good luck with the move, hope this helps,

Jen :)

chay and kerrie Jan 23rd 2007 10:20 am

Originally Posted by urbanproject (Post 4315219)
Hiya chay and kerrie,

We booked through the Singapore Air website on the Singapore stopover package, on our way to NZ. Spent 3 nights over there at the Shangri La hotel, which was a really good hotel. I thought it would be far from the city centre from the map we had but it ended up being right around the corner from the main attractions. We had free transfers and arrived at the hotel at 9AM but were able to check in straight away.

Definitely worth going to the zoo, the stopover package had that activity, we were supposed to spend 3hrs there but ended up staying the whole day there :thumbup: The kids will love it, we even got to feed the animals. Can't remember how far it is from the city but it cost us about $15 for the taxi ride back (that's Singapore Dollars). Also recommend the night safari with the nocturnal animals.

Good luck with the move, hope this helps,

Jen :)

Hi Jen
Thanks for that, will have a look sounds good!.I have looked at singapore website but did not see the stopover package,but will have another look thanks again,any other information would be helpful.