Advice

Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:04 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice

I have friends who want to move to NZ. He's a counsellor and she's also got similar qualifications, but has also got Secretarial expertise.
What are their options for getting into NZ... ?

They're willing to do it on a business visa, or by sponsorship.... They just want to get out there and start working.

Do they need a visa? Can they just arrive? How long can they stay in NZ before they get chucked out etc?

Sorry this is so open... just any advice is good.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice

Originally Posted by iPom
I have friends who want to move to NZ. He's a counsellor and she's also got similar qualifications, but has also got Secretarial expertise.

They're willing to do it on a business visa, or by sponsorship.... They just want to get out there and start working.

Do they need a visa? Can they just arrive? How long can they stay in NZ before they get chucked out etc?

Are they Brits or Aussies? As regards what passports they hold, I mean - could make a difference.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Are they Brits or Aussies? As regards what passports they hold, I mean - could make a difference.
They're British. British passport holders Moving from the UK.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 9:23 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

The immigration website will help with visa enquries...
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ I'm going on a tourist visa (which doesn't need to be sorted out prior to arrival, you just need a return ticket and proof of funds), that'll give me six months. Then I'll apply while I'm out there. Depends what sort of money they have, its a long and expensive process. They'd have to research to see if whether they'd prefer to stay in the UK and sort out visas or arrive on a tourist visa. There's a lot of issues with qualifications being recognised, so I'd be tempted to contact some employers online to see how they match up, try www.seek.co.nz, or www.trade-me.co.nz. The immigration website can also help with that. Some people will advise a reccie trip, others won't. I spent some time in NZ a few years ago and said I loved it, but I'd never live there!! It happens now that NZ suits our requirements!

Hope some of this helps!

Good luck to your friends!

Nikki
Old Jan 21st 2007, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Littletoe
The immigration website will help with visa enquries...
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ I'm going on a tourist visa (which doesn't need to be sorted out prior to arrival, you just need a return ticket and proof of funds), that'll give me six months. Then I'll apply while I'm out there. Depends what sort of money they have, its a long and expensive process. They'd have to research to see if whether they'd prefer to stay in the UK and sort out visas or arrive on a tourist visa. There's a lot of issues with qualifications being recognised, so I'd be tempted to contact some employers online to see how they match up, try www.seek.co.nz, or www.trade-me.co.nz. The immigration website can also help with that. Some people will advise a reccie trip, others won't. I spent some time in NZ a few years ago and said I loved it, but I'd never live there!! It happens now that NZ suits our requirements!

Hope some of this helps!

Good luck to your friends!

Nikki
Thanks Littletoe. Speaking to my friend tonight on Skype, she mentioned that they'd been to the NZ expo a few months back and that they were pretty much handed jobs on a plate and assured that all they need do is arrive. She was fairly convinced they wouldn't need a visa to get in and it would be fine. I have implored her to do research... which she will do, but the 'not needing a visa' issue concerned me as it sounded a little odd.
I think she's planning on using the tourist visa to get in, but the way you say 'long and expensive' is not reassuring.
They reckon they have about 100K UK pounds...

They're go get it hard working people and I have no doubt they can make this work for them, but I want to help them get it right.
They have a little girl - age 7. Cute as a button.
Would be a shame to come all this way and lose that equity.... they're wanting to be mortgage free.

Any other comments on entering NZ on tourist visa?
Old Jan 21st 2007, 6:22 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=iPom;4307170]Thanks Littletoe. Speaking to my friend tonight on Skype, she mentioned that they'd been to the NZ expo a few months back and that they were pretty much handed jobs on a plate and assured that all they need do is arrive. She was fairly convinced they wouldn't need a visa to get in and it would be fine. I have implored her to do research... which she will do, but the 'not needing a visa' issue concerned me as it sounded a little odd.
I think she's planning on using the tourist visa to get in, but the way you say 'long and expensive' is not reassuring.

They're go get it hard working people and I have no doubt they can make this work for them, but I want to help them get it right.
Would be a shame to come all this way and lose that equity.... they're wanting to be mortgage free.

Quite a few people enter on a visa and then change the visa, but its best not to have that mentality when you arrive, or else immigration will pull you out, something which happened to me! I didn't have a return flight from Australia and I got a really hard time. Air NZ ended up being fined $1000, for letting me board. If they're sure about jobs waiting for them, then going on a tourist visa might be the best way to go, but I hope they maintain contact with the people they saw. Make sure they're prepared for the tourist visa requirements, if NZ have an inkling that they're not arriving to holiday, they'll be in breach of their visa conditions and liable to be sent back. No matter if they do have secured jobs waiting for them. In the UK, residency visas cost about £500, plus medicals approx £150, plus police check (make sure they get that first - £10- takes 40 days). Plus a few other charges, it does rack up. Hopefully they're not murderers or spent time in a mental asylum, then they'll pass the medical OK. I'm having all those bits done in NZ, except I'm leaving with my police check.

Anyway, hope this helps! You sound like a good friend doing all this research for them, I hope it works out for them,

Nikki
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:30 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Littletoe;4307734]
Thanks Littletoe. Speaking to my friend tonight on Skype, she mentioned that they'd been to the NZ expo a few months back and that they were pretty much handed jobs on a plate and assured that all they need do is arrive. She was fairly convinced they wouldn't need a visa to get in and it would be fine. I have implored her to do research... which she will do, but the 'not needing a visa' issue concerned me as it sounded a little odd.

Quite a few people enter on a visa and then change the visa, but its best not to have that mentality when you arrive, or else immigration will pull you out, something which happened to me! I didn't have a return flight from Australia and I got a really hard time. Air NZ ended up being fined $1000, for letting me board. If they're sure about jobs waiting for them, then going on a tourist visa might be the best way to go, but I hope they maintain contact with the people they saw. Make sure they're prepared for the tourist visa requirements, if NZ have an inkling that they're not arriving to holiday, they'll be in breach of their visa conditions and liable to be sent back. No matter if they do have secured jobs waiting for them. In the UK, residency visas cost about £500, plus medicals approx £150, plus police check (make sure they get that first - £10- takes 40 days). Plus a few other charges, it does rack up. Hopefully they're not murderers or spent time in a mental asylum, then they'll pass the medical OK. I'm having all those bits done in NZ, except I'm leaving with my police check.

Anyway, hope this helps! You sound like a good friend doing all this research for them, I hope it works out for them,

Nikki
Hi Nikki

Thanks for that info. I'm going to copy and paste it to them in an email. I think they're better off getting the jobs first and then moving out. They're determined to be in NZ by September, so I reckon if they can tell their job people that, then it should firm things up for them.

They're great people, honest as, and have no criminal records or anything else. Just people who've had a raw deal over the years with family etc and they're wanting to make a change and have an adventure. I think they're ideal for emigrating personally. There's nothing to keep them in the UK.

From what you say it sounds a better route for them to get a residency visa. They wouldn't like to come into NZ on false pretences... they're too honest.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:35 am
Sweeeeet!

Its not really dishonest for them to arrive on a tourist visa, in fact it might be helpful for them because they'll get to see the sort of area they want to live and check out schools, etc. The residency visa is very time consuming and expensive it would be awful to go to all the trouble and arrive and not like it very much. When I spoke to the embassy, they are aware that people do that, and although they won't say its OK, you can read between the lines and see that as long as your paperwork meets the criteria, they should be OK. I also found out that in some cases tourist visas can be extended when applying for another visa, its not a very well advertised fact. But of course they know what sort of route suits their needs.

I really hope it works for out them, NZ is a beautiful country and the lifestyle for families is second to none. A lot of people moan about it on this site with quite trivial issues as I'm sure your friends will discover when they have a look at the site, but its a case of sifting through the helpful bits and discarding people with 'issues.' - (They probably wouldn't be happy anywhere!).

My husband is a Kiwi, so if we can offer any advice with locations or anything like that, don't hesitate to send me a PM. We're arriving in the end of Feb. I'm very excited about our move! As I'm sure your friends will be. Its really nice of you to contact people here on their behalf.

I truly hope it works out!

Nikki
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 10:00 am
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

[QUOTE=iPom;4309121]
Hi Nikki

Thanks for that info. I'm going to copy and paste it to them in an email. I think they're better off getting the jobs first and then moving out. They're determined to be in NZ by September, so I reckon if they can tell their job people that, then it should firm things up for them.

They're great people, honest as, and have no criminal records or anything else. Just people who've had a raw deal over the years with family etc and they're wanting to make a change and have an adventure. I think they're ideal for emigrating personally. There's nothing to keep them in the UK.

From what you say it sounds a better route for them to get a residency visa. They wouldn't like to come into NZ on false pretences... they're too honest.

They sound really interesing. They are soooo honest.. no criminal records...what is an adventure for them? A game of tiddlywinks?
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 10:52 am
Account Closed

[quote=Dirk1971;4311568]

They sound really interesing. They are soooo honest.. no criminal records...what is an adventure for them? A game of tiddlywinks?
I think escaping the history/influence of family after years of sexual and physical abuse would be pretty high on their list, Dirk.

Sometimes it's beneficial to start over.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:01 am
Sweeeeet!

[QUOTE=iPom;4311758]
Originally Posted by Dirk1971
I think escaping the history/influence of family after years of sexual and physical abuse would be pretty high on their list, Dirk.

Sometimes it's beneficial to start over.

I'm surprised no one made a stupid comment sooner. I'm afraid it tends to happen a lot here, I think people get bored. Please ignore anything you receive that isn't helpful, or else you could end up going nuts and missing other people on here that are actually really nice and helpful.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:06 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Littletoe;4311783]

I'm surprised no one made a stupid comment sooner. I'm afraid it tends to happen a lot here, I think people get bored. Please ignore anything you receive that isn't helpful, or else you could end up going nuts and missing other people on here that are actually really nice and helpful.
That's all right. I already read why Dirk posts here.

There are enough people making stupid comments on the Aus forum, so I guess I'm used to it. Don't worry, I have a radar for intelligent comments.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:12 am
Sweeeeet!

[QUOTE=iPom;4311797]
That's all right. I already read why Dirk posts here.

There are enough people making stupid comments on the Aus forum, so I guess I'm used to it. Don't worry, I have a radar for intelligent comments.
You sound a bit smart! I just had a quick glance at your blog and attached web link. Its really good! Its such a breath of fresh to read something written so well and you don't even have your head up your own, you know what!
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:24 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of people moan about it on this site with quite trivial issues as I'm sure your friends will discover when they have a look at the site, but its a case of sifting through the helpful bits and discarding people with 'issues.' - (They probably wouldn't be happy anywhere!).
And some people have genuine reason for moaning about it - and those comments can be just as helpful; a positive NZ comment does not necessarily equal helpful (ditto neg NZ does not necessarily equal helpful, I realise that). However I don't think people should just ignore negative comments, they may be pertinent to some people's situations.

And just for the record, I wasn't happy in NZ but I sure am in Italy.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:27 am
Account Closed

[quote=Littletoe;4311818]

You sound a bit smart! I just had a quick glance at your blog and attached web link. Its really good! Its such a breath of fresh to read something written so well and you don't even have your head up your own, you know what!
LOL - Careful now. I don't think everyone will have the same opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.