Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

8 deaths on the road in 24hrs!!

8 deaths on the road in 24hrs!!

Old Apr 29th 2009, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8 deaths on the road in 24hrs!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOErZuzZpS8

Be happy, its a beautiful land and unlike Austrlia, nobody cares if you ike it.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

jd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant future

Somewhat tragically, as is proved on a daily basis in NZ, you'll never sort the Kiwi's out re. driving. Sadly, they know it all...
The only answer, if you'd rather not risk an early death at their hand, is defensive driving, for which you'll need a suitable set of wheels.
Might I suggest a 4wd Chevy pick up modified as follows; 572cu. in. big block V-8, NASCAR style cage, 5-point belts, 6" deep box section front and rear bumpers, side nerfing rails, under run protection aka Brisca F1 stock car, plus run flat tyres.
Paint the whole lot semi-gloss black and your away. No Kiwi would dare bother you in that.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jd426
Might I suggest a 4wd Chevy pick up modified as follows; 572cu. in. big block V-8, NASCAR style cage, 5-point belts, 6" deep box section front and rear bumpers, side nerfing rails, under run protection aka Brisca F1 stock car, plus run flat tyres.
Paint the whole lot semi-gloss black and your away. No Kiwi would dare bother you in that.
Trouble is , thats what half of them think too, so they get one and then drive like an idiot thinking they are safe.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:35 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
If you kill someone with your excess speed how will you live with that..especially a child?
Same way I'd live having killed a child at under 100km/h?
And you are not driving safely if you drive over 100ks.
Lets just say that where true, how would you go about explaining the many road networks where the speed limits are over 100km/h yet have a lower accident rate than New Zealand?
the faster you go the less time you have to correct your errors and others.
True, driving is really about workload on the driver . On a long and straight stretch of road the driver has a very low workload but driving in a busy town center that may not be true. The greater the strain on the driver the more mistakes he/she will make...which is true to an extent with the exception of boredom causing accidents through drivers falling asleep etc. You may laugh but this was a big problem on German autobahns where despite the driver being allowed as fast or slow as he or she wanted (since obviously speeding up keeps the driver conscious of the task at hand) the lack of bends in road made drivers drowsy so they had to add slight kinks to the road .
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:46 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Lets just say that where true, how would you go about explaining the many road networks where the speed limits are over 100km/h yet have a lower accident rate than New Zealand?.
They have better roads?

I don't subscribe to the "Speed Kills" mantra

Inappropriate speed for the conditions, yes. Speed in itself, no.

And as the great Dr. Clarkson said, it's not the speed, it's the sudden stop that kills.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 1:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
They have better roads?

I don't subscribe to the "Speed Kills" mantra

Inappropriate speed for the conditions, yes. Speed in itself, no.

And as the great Dr. Clarkson said, it's not the speed, it's the sudden stop that kills.
Ditto
Old Apr 30th 2009, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: 8 deaths on the road in 24hrs!!

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Same way I'd live having killed a child at under 100km/h?
While the child is dead you may well be wearing a charge of 'death by dangerous' (10 years in the UK when I last had my uniform on) if your illegal speed was deemed to be a contributing factor. Kids are killed at 5ks per hour on driveways. Point is that you are going to be in way MORE shit if you kill people when doing excessive speeds and driving like a fool......(sorry, people who chose to speed daily are just that IMO)..this is about HOW THE DRIVER will deal with the consequences of his/her actions. You appear to have an arrogant attitude in that 'if I want to speed I will'. Be it on your own head and conscience. I would feel terrible if I killed a kid/adult at any speed..point is if you stay within the law the consequences are that you will not go to prison and ruin two families. There is no excuse for speeding EVER unless it is a matter of life and death or you are a member of the emergency services on duty.