Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

8 deaths on the road in 24hrs!!

8 deaths on the road in 24hrs!!

Old Apr 25th 2009, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8 deaths on the road in 24hrs!!

Originally Posted by Petals
We have had eight here in Victoria as well. Just another day on the roads.
It is sooooooooooooooooooooooo easy to drive diligently and carefully..I am sure a well trained monkey could do it!!!. Why do people need to text when they are driving..even having the phone on in the car???? If I had a mobile I would keep it in the boot. NOTHING is that important. The only important thing behind the wheel is getting you and those in your car to your destination alive..without having killed anyone else..its really simple. Why do soooooooo many stuff up?????? I am not the perfect driver but like to think in 34 odd years of having had a licence I know what's shitty driving and what's not. Ie tailgating, using phones, excessive speeding, overtaking at dangerous places, drink driving etc. Its very easy to do none of them.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately Genesis not everyone is as diligent as you.

It only takes a relatively small number of of idiots to cause a serious problem.

And you forgot to mention the kiwi love of running red lights.

I find the whole road culture different here, there is too much of an attitude that the road is a playground and its a given right to do what you want when you want, licence or no licence, insurance or no insurance, warrant or no warrant, exhaust or no exhaust.

Dont even get me started on the age they let dangerous kids with dangerous attitudes loose with dangerous cars.

Id hate to see many cars in NZ with the number of satelite and mobile phone/txt gadgets that cars in England now seem to have, they are like a mobile office with TV. Give them to kiwi drivers and the consequences are horrifying.

Mind you, I dont they should be allowed in UK either.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Strangely there is little road rage over here...
oh yes there is. i was attacked by a truck driver who had previously tried to run
me off the road and into a ditch.

driving regs here are pathetic, the standard of cars is terrible, the number of
rickity old pieces of shit being driven by school kids who think they are all
drift kings is ridiculous.
The level of driving skill is awfull. the next time your out in your car just look at
how many people you see infront of you who brake while half way round a corner or bend.
this makes a car unstable and will cause understeer forcing it to run wide.
the courts, the police and the govt should make non payment of fines a serious offence.
I know some guys at work who think its funny and boast that they have
about $5000 in unpaid motoring fines.
I traffic cop friend says he knows full well that when he gives a ticket to
certain groups of drivers they will simply throw it in the glove box and ignore it.
The standard of the roads also need to be addressed. surfaces are constantly breaking up and in summer the tar melts and
becomes like ice when it rains.
I could rant on for ages about this topic but hey " its the kiwi way" so that makes it all ok
Old Apr 26th 2009, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

I don't even think there's much difference on so-called 'quiet roads'. You always get some twat who will drive right up your backside even though the road is empty and will neither overtake nor leave a reasonable distance between you.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by whitesand
I don't even think there's much difference on so-called 'quiet roads'. You always get some twat who will drive right up your backside even though the road is empty and will neither overtake nor leave a reasonable distance between you.
hmmmm i hear what you all say and agree with the majority of comments, but.......in the long term the suggestions being made will eventually lead NZ to perhaps becoming a 'nanny state' like the UK and those that choose to drive/act like lunatics etc, will continue to do so, killing people and not serving the sentance given for various reasons. People in the UK continue to use mobiles whilst driving and are just more alert to look for police cars (what baffles me here is you cant eat, drink use your phone yet often see folk with fag in hand whilst driving, which imo is far more dangerous!!). More education to teenagers would prob be useful?! Unfortunately accidents do happen and some can be avoided-in the UK i know of 2 friends of friends who have been involved in fatalities due to drink driving and i live in a small town so it does happen. IMO, and i'm sure there will be some negative comments thrown my way, the UK is so governed by rules for everything its getting pathetic, we're now all rationed to how much rubbish we can leave out.......thats another thread though!!!
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Loxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really nice

[QUOTE=It would be interesting to know how many of this weekend's tragic deaths have involved mobile phones and/or booze.[/QUOTE]

The age of the persons involved would be interesting too.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:42 pm
i want to go to canada

preludefan is an unknown quantity at this point

When is someone going to do something that has teeth attached to it to bring down the road death toll in NZ? Its bloody ridiculous. What on earth happens to the average charming kiwi when they enter a vehicle and have access to the steering wheel? Kate drives all over the Manawatu now for work and I am frankly quite aprehensive of her plying SH1 so regularly.

The govt. must take some blame as must the average shitty kiwi driver ( I appreciate there are exceptions and some kiwis know how to drive responsibly). There are many things that could be done to reduce the road toll. Over here you get just 6mths average ban for drink drive. In the UK its a mandadtory 1yr. There is no offence of using a moblie whilst driving to my knowledge. If there is everyone is breaking the law. The police need to have laws that allow them to impound cars for ever.

Strangely there is little road rage over here..maybe because they vent their crap whilst doing the daily drive whereas in the UK we are all way more civil on the road I guess the bile builds up..not excusing road rage just theorising.

For me its the worst aspect of living here as you can only make yourself so safe by driving carefully to the speed and conditions whilst not fiddling with a phone. I have heard of sooooooooooo many awful deaths as a result of texting and driving..why is it not outlawed??

UPDATE>>>>>>>>>One hour later and its 9 now..I rest my case.
this is what happens then you introduce cars with 5 star saftey ratings, active stability control, airbags and abs with automatic transmissions, they all think they are invincible because they have these things and their driving turns to shit and you get accidents like these in large amounts, the only way things are ever goingto get better is to put drivers through tougher tests that stop substandard drivers from passing and getting behind the wheel.
they also need to have different licenses for high horsepower cars and phycological examinations to see if the person is actually mature and responsible enough to operate a motor vehicle in the first place.

kiwis think its their god given right to drive (mainly those in auckland) and dont car about anyone else on the road as long as they have their airbags...etc they are safe and to hell with anyone else- little do they actualy realise that all these safty features only make the car safer when you are driving responsibly at the speed limit, when you drive like an idiot/ irresponsibly and carelessly, its actually FAR MORE DANGEROUS than drving a car with no airbags...etc responsibly.

those points above and also a more inteligent approach to getting rid of boy racers (street racers) rather than picking on car inthusiasts who abide by laws and actually race their cars on tracks legally.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:48 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Loxley
The age of the persons involved would be interesting too.
So sad, actually the weekends death toll on the roads amounted to 10 in total.

From what I can gather passengers in a car that was hit then burst in to flames aged; 45, 23, 2 + another adult. Driver of other car aged 42.

West Auckland male aged 45.
Nelsom male aged 75

No idea of the other three ages.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:33 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 8 deaths on the road in 24hrs!!

First patch of wet weather as well .

I'm not too bothered with the road death toll, if we wanted to reduce the road toll we could do a whole load of things to reduce it. However it's basically an excuse for the government to do some speed limit enforcing/tax raising etc.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:00 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

ooooh, what a mixed bag of replies I could have.
Very sad weekend, one of my mates here is a fireman and got the call for the burning car with 5 dead.
Compulsory insurance would get most kids out of the high powered cars.
Enforcement of noise regulations would make everyones life nicer.
Most of us don't understand why it's so important to text while driving, but then we're not kids, so we'll never get it. If they need to text every three minutes while walking down the street, of course they'll do it in cars.
If you want regulations they have "back in UK", then go back to UK.
The Isle of Wight was considering a blanket 40mph limit on all national speed limit signed roads, that would make Welly to Taupo a death trip with everyone falling asleep.
Road surfaces are atrocious, but most of the problems mentioned in the thread can be avoided, just DRIVE TO THE CONDITIONS
My other mate who's in the police told me that it's standard practice to pull people for a DLA, that's "driving like an Asian".

Right, as used to be thrown weekly out of the Hill Street precinct briefing room.....

Let's be careful out there
Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
If you want regulations they have "back in UK", then go back to UK.
er, why?????????
Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

15 dead in "72 hours of slaughter"

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2366...rashes-kill-15

Thats a pretty large number even by NZ's standard
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
er, why?????????
Totally agree B. What a strange comment. Like "you want the roads in Nz to be safer?? Piss off back from where you came!!" That's helpful aye??
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light

Totally agree B. What a strange comment. Like "you want the roads in Nz to be safer?? Piss off back from where you came!!" That's helpful aye??
Dont think hazeandsteve quite meant it like that, what i think they are getting at is that the uk have so many rules and regulations and laws that its like 'big brother' and that is one reason which contributes to people wanting to emmigrate, imo. am i right or am i wrong!!!??
Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by strawbie
Dont think hazeandsteve quite meant it like that, what i think they are getting at is that the uk have so many rules and regulations and laws that its like 'big brother' and that is one reason which contributes to people wanting to emmigrate, imo. am i right or am i wrong!!!??
When adults behave like kids on the road treat them like the latter and throw the book at them..if thats what more regulations will do for NZ roads. I never felt the roads in the UK were over regulated..and as for speed cameras the more the merrier..I care not a jot even if some are revenue earners..if you speed you deserve a ticket..its your fault no one else's. If you don't want a ticket don't speed..simple..a monkey could work that one out. The only people who moan about speed cameras are idiots and shitty, speeding drivers who may kill one of my family due to their selfish, shitty driving. Rant over. My apologies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.