20 kilos

Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:14 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 20 kilos

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
I must admit its harder to let people off here as the computers are connected to the baggage scales. If people are nice you will help them best you can but if they are complete ass**** then I stick to the book.
<--- me ()
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:20 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
come to me, I will let you off some $$$$$
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

If your flying from the UK you can send a case over with a company called excess baggage, I used the one at Picadilly Station in Manchester. The cost for one bag was 20 quid (I think) but it was four years ago, at the end of the day its still far cheeper than what the airline would charge per kilo, the case ended up in Auckland 5 or so days after me.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:26 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
come to me, I will let you off some $$$$$
There's one snag... we're already here.

Actually there's another snag too... I don't know which POE you work at.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:35 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
There's one snag... we're already here.

Actually there's another snag too... I don't know which POE you work at.
Darn sarf, chc
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by truditjh
I would double check with the airlines, but when we made the move to nz we flew via the states, mainly cos of the luggage allowance, it was 64 kg per person !!! That meant we could effectively take 6 cases ( 2 adults 1 child with full luggage allowance!) with more stuff in than we could lift. Dont know if that situ has changed as its 6 years since, but I think the states still has extra allowances. We flew with Air NZ, but BA/Qantas also do the same route, cant speak for other airlines and routes. Hope that helps.
we flew via LAX with AIR NZ and our allowance was 40kg per person.......4 of us ,so we had 2 cases each,bit of a struggle with the cases as you have to collect them at LAX and check them back in,via connections,(WHICH THEY SAID WE WOULD NOT NEED TO DO,BUT WE DID)not the best route to go,but wasn't that bad......jacky
Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:29 am
Maz

Originally Posted by garryhg
we flew via LAX with AIR NZ and our allowance was 40kg per person.......4 of us ,so we had 2 cases each,bit of a struggle with the cases as you have to collect them at LAX and check them back in,via connections,(WHICH THEY SAID WE WOULD NOT NEED TO DO,BUT WE DID)not the best route to go,but wasn't that bad......jacky
The allowance went down shortly before we moved in October '07, to 23Kg each bag, 2 bags each. Booo!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

The limits so far as Air NZ are concerned are the same now as when we flew to NZ in July 2007 and you can find it all HERE

London to NZ via Hong Kong - 1 piece of baggage checked in at a max of 20Kgs plus hand baggage at 7kgs

London via LAX - 2 pieces checked in at a max of 23kgs per bag plus 7kgs hand baggage per passenger in one piece.

If you enquire with Air NZ as with other airlines you'll find that one of the checked pieces on the LA route can be up to a max of 32kgs but the max per passenger is still 46kgs and only one over 23kg item per passenger is allowed.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:50 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Downside to flying via USA is that you can't lock your bags can you?

Other options to paying the airline for the excess kilos are: excess baggage and posting it via the normal mail service. At least that way you haven't got heavy cases to lug around.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:57 am
Maz

Thumbs down Re: 20 kilos

Originally Posted by Nerine
Downside to flying via USA is that you can't lock your bags can you?
CORRECT!!! And most crappy. Thank you Nerine for that good catch. You have to leave your locks on there, and they'll "promise" to lock them for you. The number of locks we've had go missing is not funny. There are locks which apparently the TSA can unlock and have been authorised by them, so you *should* be able to use those locks when you check in. What I've always done is, once you take your bags over to the TSA after checking-in, wait wait wait until they're done with them, and make sure you witness them locking the bags again.

Yeah. It sucks. Truly, it does.

Not to mention that if you go via the US, for the sake of a few extra kilogrammes, you'll have the delight of having the US Government take your digital photo and your fingerprints, like you were a common criminal. Blech!