20 kilos

Old Jan 5th 2008, 3:49 pm
Bouncer For Mothercare

wimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of light
Default 20 kilos

Is the allowance that we expect to get from the Airlines when we ship out (we will not have Visas or PR) so does anyone know what sort of fines per kilo they will charge if we sneak that little extra
Old Jan 5th 2008, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

truditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nice
Default Re: 20 kilos

I would double check with the airlines, but when we made the move to nz we flew via the states, mainly cos of the luggage allowance, it was 64 kg per person !!! That meant we could effectively take 6 cases ( 2 adults 1 child with full luggage allowance!) with more stuff in than we could lift. Dont know if that situ has changed as its 6 years since, but I think the states still has extra allowances. We flew with Air NZ, but BA/Qantas also do the same route, cant speak for other airlines and routes. Hope that helps.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

20kg via Hong Kong, but if you have a visa for migration, 40kg.

Alison
Old Jan 5th 2008, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wimpy
Is the allowance that we expect to get from the Airlines when we ship out (we will not have Visas or PR) so does anyone know what sort of fines per kilo they will charge if we sneak that little extra
Expensive. I've had to do the check-in line suitcase shuffle more than once.

However, most will let you get away with 24, and I've had 27kg let thru before. My cousin was an airline check-in chic, and she said that they always let people through with 23kg.

I have heard that the earlier you check in, the more lenient they are.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 5:47 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

If you need the extra room in your luggage you should look into flying via North America as each passenger is allowed two cases on check-in, each case not to exceed, hmmm...I think it is 23 kilos (used to be 32 kilos each, but has since been pared down) so you could carry up to 46 kilos of gear each.

Air New Zealand does a London-Los Angeles-Auckland run.

Last edited by happynz; Jan 5th 2008 at 5:50 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 6:32 pm
Bouncer For Mothercare

wimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by happynz
If you need the extra room in your luggage you should look into flying via North America as each passenger is allowed two cases on check-in, each case not to exceed, hmmm...I think it is 23 kilos (used to be 32 kilos each, but has since been pared down) so you could carry up to 46 kilos of gear each.

Air New Zealand does a London-Los Angeles-Auckland run.
Thats the one for us
Old Jan 5th 2008, 8:11 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats the one for us
we went via LA and had 64kg each spread over two suit cases. So we had 6 cases and 2 car seats (one seat counted towards a suit case).

The heaviest case weighed 31.5kg - others averaged 27kg

They are strict on the size of your cases - def check on the airline website.

And going over, cost about £190 per kg. - so not worth the risk!
Old Jan 5th 2008, 8:24 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

We came out May last year, Air NZ via LA. Baggage allowance was 2 x 23kg suitcases per person (adult or child) so 46kg each traveller, plus 7kg hand luggage each.

We enquired with Air NZ what allowance we could have emigrating via Hong Kong but at that time they said just the 20kg per person, they would not give extra allowance even though we had 30month WTR visas.

Am sure someone posted a little while ago that Emirates gave them 60kg, but not sure who or on what thread.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

I came out on emirates and had called the contact centre for advice, they weren't very helplful. I wanted to bring another 20kg suitcase, they quoted another 650 pounds!! More expensive than the flight!! For that price I'd want the bag in the next seat enjoying the meal and a glass of wine

I sent it DHL which cost 180 pounds and arrived in 4 days, their website is very good and you can even pay by paypal. Picked up from my house in the UK and delivered to me at my new house in NZ, brill
Old Jan 5th 2008, 8:52 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Two pieces at 23kg each via LA...total 46kg
23kg via HKG in as many as you want
One piece of hand luggage at 7kg

http://www.eu.airnewzealand.com/trav...in_baggage.htm

Because of fuel costs now, air new zealand are very strict on baggage allowances as are most airlines. (I work there)
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:17 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
We came out May last year, Air NZ via LA. Baggage allowance was 2 x 23kg suitcases per person (adult or child) so 46kg each traveller, plus 7kg hand luggage each.

We enquired with Air NZ what allowance we could have emigrating via Hong Kong but at that time they said just the 20kg per person, they would not give extra allowance even though we had 30month WTR visas.

Am sure someone posted a little while ago that Emirates gave them 60kg, but not sure who or on what thread.
i seem to recall hearing that the health and safety regs are tighter over the eastern side which is why you can take larger bags via the west.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 2:27 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

We came over in October last year from Chicago (ORD --> SFO --> AKL --> WLG). 23 kilos per bag, 2 bags each. What you do is you find a nice friendly baggage chap at check-in, and he'll "take care" nudge nudge wink wink of you. For a small fee. He'll put those "Heavy" tags on the bag, and for the price of a small bribe... *cough!* I mean tip!!! ... you won't have to pay the extra. We were WAAAY over on weight, but it was taken care of. I think we were well over 30 kilos per bag. Only place they raised an eyebrow was when we had to collect our bags at Auckland to re-check them (as it was our POE) for the flight down to Wellington. We just acted dumb/innocent and got away with it.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 2:39 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
We came over in October last year from Chicago (ORD --> SFO --> AKL --> WLG). 23 kilos per bag, 2 bags each. What you do is you find a nice friendly baggage chap at check-in, and he'll "take care" nudge nudge wink wink of you. For a small fee. He'll put those "Heavy" tags on the bag, and for the price of a small bribe... *cough!* I mean tip!!! ... you won't have to pay the extra. We were WAAAY over on weight, but it was taken care of. I think we were well over 30 kilos per bag. Only place they raised an eyebrow was when we had to collect our bags at Auckland to re-check them (as it was our POE) for the flight down to Wellington. We just acted dumb/innocent and got away with it.
Yeah I check people like you in every day...
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:05 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
Yeah I check people like you in every day...
*cough!* Forget what I said! We seriously didn't know how much they weighed to begin with though. We were quite shocked when he told us. He didn't want to tell us, either. Didn't really realise until he said he'd just talk to the ticket agent to tell her that he already had our bags done, that he was doing us a HUUUUUGE favour! Looking back, we were bloody lucky! I fully understand the health & safety rules, though, and they are there for a very good reason. Of all the places I thought we would end up paying a bribe O'Hare airport wasn't really on my list...
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:09 am
Susie..

Originally Posted by Maz
*cough!* Forget what I said! We seriously didn't know how much they weighed to begin with though. We were quite shocked when he told us. He didn't want to tell us, either. Didn't really realise until he said he'd just talk to the ticket agent to tell her that he already had our bags done, that he was doing us a HUUUUUGE favour! Looking back, we were bloody lucky! I fully understand the health & safety rules, though, and they are there for a very good reason. Of all the places I thought we would end up paying a bribe O'Hare airport wasn't really on my list...
I must admit its harder to let people off here as the computers are connected to the baggage scales. If people are nice you will help them best you can but if they are complete ass**** then I stick to the book.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.