Electricity bills

Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

sol133 has a spectacular aura aboutsol133 has a spectacular aura aboutsol133 has a spectacular aura about
Default Electricity bills

I moved into a 2bed flat at the beginning of December and got my first leccy bill, which horrified me! Can anyone give me a rough idea of what usage I should expect?
I live alone and am out at work all day. I was told that my hot water is in with the rent and although I used plenty at first as the place was filthy, I can't find any controls for it in the flat anyway. For the first 3 weeks before my furniture arrived from the UK I only had the fridge, cooker, and washing machine in the flat and didn't use the latter two much. Even now, apart form the odd lightbulb and the telly or radio, I don't think I use that much.
Presuming that the previous reading was correct (?!), for a 12 day period I apparently used 300 units, averaging 25 a day. After monitoring the meter since my bill arrived, it's now averaging 11 units a day.
The electricity company say the meter can't be wrong, you're using it, so pay for it. The rental company may send someone round to check the appliances when they get round to it. Meanwhile, I'm racking up huge bills I'm not convinced are correct.
Anyone any ideas??
Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricity bills

Originally Posted by sol133 View Post
I moved into a 2bed flat at the beginning of December and got my first leccy bill, which horrified me! Can anyone give me a rough idea of what usage I should expect?
I live alone and am out at work all day. I was told that my hot water is in with the rent and although I used plenty at first as the place was filthy, I can't find any controls for it in the flat anyway. For the first 3 weeks before my furniture arrived from the UK I only had the fridge, cooker, and washing machine in the flat and didn't use the latter two much. Even now, apart form the odd lightbulb and the telly or radio, I don't think I use that much.
Presuming that the previous reading was correct (?!), for a 12 day period I apparently used 300 units, averaging 25 a day. After monitoring the meter since my bill arrived, it's now averaging 11 units a day.
The electricity company say the meter can't be wrong, you're using it, so pay for it. The rental company may send someone round to check the appliances when they get round to it. Meanwhile, I'm racking up huge bills I'm not convinced are correct.
Anyone any ideas??
We have only been here about five months and so far have only receivd three bills from Energy online. We have a two bedroom house. Our bills have been between $92.60 and $133.02 with an average daily usage of between 13 to 16kWhs. There are two of us in the house and we both work so.

But the lowest bill was in the winter and the highest recently, which kind of seems odd to me, but they are currently guessing our usage and I probably should give them a more accurate reading. Not sure if this helps at all.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:06 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

This might help explain your usage

http://www.contactenergy.co.nz/web/v...iances&vert=se

Also have you looked at the plan you are on?

We found an amazing difference ($40 per month) in our bill when our laptop died on us recently!!! it really is worth looking at every little thing that you have plugged in.

Good Luck
Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Find out when the last reading was taken and who did it.
You are probably being charged for power that was used before you moved in.
Switch everything off and see if the meter is still ticking over.

Our daily usage is 13kw including hot water.

Kip
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:02 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP, what was your bill? We go through Genesis and are on a plan for higher users (something I am eager to change!) and we pay about $200 a month for gas and electric. Really not too bad considering the size of our house.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 12:52 am

SavBlancGal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sol133 View Post
Anyone any ideas??
Somewhere in the general area of the hot water cylinder there should be an electrical switch to shut off power to it - just like a power point but with fixed wiring. You may need to get down on hands and knees and use a torch to find it! It could also be located in a cupboard close by. This is usually the only 'control' for your hot water. Another thing to check would be the temperature that the cylinder is set at. Older cylinders don't have the same temp limit that the newer ones do, so you may find it's set way too hot which will push up your power bill. The gauge is usually behind a screwed on panel on the side.

I would question the rental company if they told you your hot water cost was included in your rent. Check your tenancy agreement. If it's stated on there that it is, then ask them how they are billed seperately (or who is billed for it) - it doesn't sound like normal practice to have a part of a power bill charged out separately. Check your own bill to see if it shows a pricing line that says "controlled" - this will be for your hot water.

Also check on your bill the date from which your power bill started to make absolutely sure that you haven't been billed for any usage by the previous tenant.

300 units for 12 days for a single person sounds way too high. We are a family of three and have every electrical thing known to man plugged in here and our usage for December was 620 units for the entire month.

Good luck.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

sol133 has a spectacular aura aboutsol133 has a spectacular aura aboutsol133 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Maz View Post
To the OP, what was your bill? We go through Genesis and are on a plan for higher users (something I am eager to change!) and we pay about $200 a month for gas and electric. Really not too bad considering the size of our house.
I'm with Genesis too - wasn't given any options for different plans, but the bill says it's Kiwisaver Composite, with a dialy fixed charge of 33.33 cents.

SavBlancGal - thanks that's really useful.

Thanks everyone - I'm off to switch everything off and do some sums!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:27 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you contact the power company and tell them you were a new tenant and give them a reading when you moved in or did your landlord do that on your behalf?

Sounds like you've paid for some of the previous tenants usage.