Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

100 ways with.......

100 ways with.......

Old Oct 12th 2011, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default 100 ways with.......

Seasonal fruit and veg does your head in a bit, cos it's all or nothing.

This week we will mostly be eating;
Asparagus

It's still very early days yet with the asparagus and I am getting almost to the end of the two bunches for $5 bought last week. I am sure as we go along we'll get three for $5 in a week or two and already looking for ideas of how the heck to serve it up or disguise it as something else.

This week we had roasted asparagus with the Sunday dinner
Chopped up asparagus mixed in with peas on Monday
Asparagus, bacon and cheese omelette today

I can do soup, quiche maybe with bacon or salmon, perhaps risotto and then that's about the limit of my asparagus repertoire. I'll not be going there with the Kiwi style asparagus wrapped in bread thing, or asparagus on toast.

So any other ideas please would be welcome.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 8:23 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 100 ways with.......

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Seasonal fruit and veg does your head in a bit, cos it's all or nothing.

This week we will mostly be eating;
Asparagus

It's still very early days yet with the asparagus and I am getting almost to the end of the two bunches for $5 bought last week. I am sure as we go along we'll get three for $5 in a week or two and already looking for ideas of how the heck to serve it up or disguise it as something else.

This week we had roasted asparagus with the Sunday dinner
Chopped up asparagus mixed in with peas on Monday
Asparagus, bacon and cheese omelette today

I can do soup, quiche maybe with bacon or salmon, perhaps risotto and then that's about the limit of my asparagus repertoire. I'll not be going there with the Kiwi style asparagus wrapped in bread thing, or asparagus on toast.

So any other ideas please would be welcome.
BBQ Asparagus (on a charcoal BBQ) tossed warm through a green salad with parmesan and good local olive oil. Serve with hot smoked salmon and a glass of chilled riesling (off dry). Lovely stuff and taste much better outdoors.

Otherwise an asparagus crockenbouche?
Old Oct 12th 2011, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Location: Dunfermline, Scotland soon to be North Shore Auckland
Lejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Catchafire
BBQ Asparagus (on a charcoal BBQ) tossed warm through a green salad with parmesan and good local olive oil. Serve with hot smoked salmon and a glass of chilled riesling (off dry). Lovely stuff and taste much better outdoors.

Otherwise an asparagus crockenbouche?
Ok bit of a cheat as you've already picked all the stuff I know but if you have a gander at the following :

www.asparagusrecipes.net
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/se...ords=asparagus

You might get some ideas.

You could also try putting it with a poached egg - works best if asparagus on toast then egg on top
Old Oct 12th 2011, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

The salad sounds nice!! Thanks

I found this:

PAAR - People Against Asparagus Rolls

PAAR are fighting to change the laws in New Zealand to make it illegal to bring or supply AR's at any social gathering

http://www.facebook.com/pages/PAAR-P...45045478875197

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Oct 12th 2011 at 8:37 am.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks, some of those things sound gorgeous but sadly don't translate well into Kiwi basicdom. Seeing some of those BBC recipes reminded me of so many things things we don't have and what a bunch of paupers we really are. I wish we could find or afford the likes of parma ham, sunblush tomatoes, prosciutto, truffles and crab to go with my $5 worth of asparagus..
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:15 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

What about attempting something ambitious with asparagus and sheep's ears a la Hestor Blumental Or if you're feeling posh, use the deer ears.

ok, I'll get me coat....
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:21 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Live like a King.......

http://www.food.com/recipe/asparagus-curry-9875

Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to drink loads of water to dilute your urine
Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Live like a King.......

http://www.food.com/recipe/asparagus-curry-9875

That was sounding good until I read:

Step 13. Also can use this is a sandwich and is very healthy.

Can't say we've yet been down the curry sandwich route, but sorry vegetables such as carrots, potatoes and especially asparagus surrounded by bread is just so wrong.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Don't forget to drink loads of water to dilute your urine
Indeed, the side effects are quite unpleasant.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 11:27 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Fried with lashings of real butter. Sometimes I sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese in if I'm really pushing the boat out.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Dunfermline, Scotland soon to be North Shore Auckland
Lejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Thanks, some of those things sound gorgeous but sadly don't translate well into Kiwi basicdom. Seeing some of those BBC recipes reminded me of so many things things we don't have and what a bunch of paupers we really are. I wish we could find or afford the likes of parma ham, sunblush tomatoes, prosciutto, truffles and crab to go with my $5 worth of asparagus..
Ah the problem of advising on recipes when not in NZ - looks like I'll have to totally rethink my shopping and meals when we move over. Just as well I'm a fairly rubbish cook and kids and Hubby are used to me experimenting
Old Oct 12th 2011, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

From NZ's Womans Weekly (so at least the ingredients are available although not necessarily affordable! )

http://www.nzwomansweekly.co.nz/food...story/3658411/

http://www.nzwomansweekly.co.nz/food...story/4100981/

http://www.nzwomansweekly.co.nz/food...story/3709947/

Old Oct 12th 2011, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I use asparagus in Chinese cooking a lot - especially with prawns but works with chicken. You need a wok.... here's one of the things I do, black bean can be bought really cheap in Asian supermarkets. Don't use the paste in the jars though, not as good.

e.g. in the wok fry red chili and garlic, add onion, add asparagus, pour in a little soy sauce and sherry (!), add defrosted prawns, cook another 2 mins, add a little stock and the black beans, cook with lid on for 3 mins. Thicken with cornflour if necessary. Voila, very quick prawn and asparagus in black bean sauce

The same recipe can also be used with pak choy, leaving out the asparagus.

I could go on and on about chinese ideas, but it does at least give a different twist to the flavour.

Jan
Old Oct 24th 2011, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm all done with the asparagus, over it already. Two bunches in the fridge going begging and they'll probably end up as soup in the freezer.

So what about the Avos what do people do with those, other than guacamole?

At three for $2 that means there's usually two too many for me. I can't bring myself to do the Kiwi avos and tomatoes on toast thing. So ..... with my two spare ones, what can I do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.