Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Why did you move to Australia in the first place.

Why did you move to Australia in the first place.

Old Jan 10th 2007, 8:40 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you move to Australia in the first place.

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Even if he did, because he's been out of UK so long. made no NI contributions etc, he won't qualify for JSA or IS as he won't pass the habitual residency requirement. Now that REALLY does suck! One fark up NL did make!
not as hard as you think if you are a born citizen ,you're right about what your allowed but I travelled back as an adult with no NI number etc had a number in a week was working (all bit labouring ) in a week and there is plenty of help for the extreme need .if you really are stuck drop into the citizens advice and they will point you at it
Old Jan 10th 2007, 2:48 pm

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Can't remember I was on glue at the time

LMAO!!!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

It's about attitude. I didn't know a soul when I went to Australia, and many companies created a job for me, and I worked my way up into management within a year in some industries that I had no knowledge or previous experience. It's about selling yourself, people buy people and skills at the end of the day. If you have no personality they aren't going to hire you whatever your qualifications are. I entered another industry when I came back to UK that was very cliquey and broke in, in fact I run my own company with various from it now. Don't blame the country, get off your arse and make it happen, create your own opportunities, I had to.

Originally Posted by THEGREATIDIOT
No. FINANCE is what's stopping me. I've had little more than the odd casual job in 13 years (since leaving school), despite being HUGELY qualified. It's borderline absurd, I'm convinced it's the "who you know" thing.
Then there's family issues, too. They wouldn't stop me from going if I could actually afford it, but I can't, and I certainly won't get help from them. All they do is read the International Express and give you the "Britain's gone to the dogs" routine. I don't believe a word of it, I'm afraid, and even if I was in a no better spot financially in the UK, I would have at least have had a couple of friends still and felt at home rather than as a fish out of water stranger in a strange land.
The appalling exchange rate is depressing as hell, too!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

THEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mercedes
It's about attitude. I didn't know a soul when I went to Australia, and many companies created a job for me, and I worked my way up into management within a year in some industries that I had no knowledge or previous experience. It's about selling yourself, people buy people and skills at the end of the day. If you have no personality they aren't going to hire you whatever your qualifications are. I entered another industry when I came back to UK that was very cliquey and broke in, in fact I run my own company with various from it now. Don't blame the country, get off your arse and make it happen, create your own opportunities, I had to.
Problem is I do have a personality, it's the Aussies that don't, so up yours, buddy. Hardly my fault I can't fit in with the degenerates. Maybe the next time I get an interview I should start discussing the footy? I'd probably get hired on the spot.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 10:03 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

thats not really true ,it worked for you and thats fine ,each person is different and to think just because the company "created" a job for you (figjam)does not mean we can all just walk into work and have the same .the company I work for ,I make my managers look like they are stood still .I have more Qualifications than most of them but A) I am a pom B)it frightens them and makes them fear for their job so if I showed them what I had and what I could do I would probably be sacked on some pretext .I have found this true of most business's in Aust .to say that we ,are lacking in personality which is why things are bad/wrong /unfair/whatever the word is a little rude and narrow .you took a punt it worked ,others take the same punt put in the same effort and it doesn't pan out doesn't make 'em lazy /bad or loser and you can blame the national identity to some degree as the employers are of a particular mind set which as a foreigner you have those extra hurdles to start with
Old Jan 11th 2007, 1:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

...... Don't blame the country, get off your arse and make it happen, create your own opportunities, I had to.
Originally Posted by toandfro
thats not really true ,it worked for you and thats fine ,each person is different and to think just because the company "created" a job for you (figjam)does not mean we can all just walk into work and have the same .the company I work for ,I make my managers look like they are stood still .I have more Qualifications than most of them but A) I am a pom B)it frightens them and makes them fear for their job so if I showed them what I had and what I could do I would probably be sacked on some pretext .I have found this true of most business's in Aust .to say that we ,are lacking in personality which is why things are bad/wrong /unfair/whatever the word is a little rude and narrow .you took a punt it worked ,others take the same punt put in the same effort and it doesn't pan out doesn't make 'em lazy /bad or loser and you can blame the national identity to some degree as the employers are of a particular mind set which as a foreigner you have those extra hurdles to start with
I've been trying to do that since I got here, Tonight I've just been rejected from yet another permjob in the Department I work for. The reason - good qualifications, but they aren't Australian. I am sick to the back teeth of getting off my arse and trying to make it happen, and getting the same response every time.
Mercedes, I'm really pleased for you cos you had the right skills, in the right place, at the right time. Just remember we aren't all that lucky.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

This sums up much of NZ too. I have lost count of the expats we have made friends with over the years who say the same old thing.
Maybe it is us, maybe we are expecting too much to want to migrate and actually work and hold down a long term job?
Hubby been told on many occasions that he is 'too over qualified' I mean FFS can understand it if he was applying for McDonalds, but these are jobs he is qualified to do????
I dont get it , do you?
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Do you put commas in the wrong places on your CV and emails too? That would look poor.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 7:44 am
beam me up scotty

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Do you put commas in the wrong places on your CV and emails too? That would look poor.
I am getting a bit pissed off with people pointing out my poor gramma if you don't get the point of my post but if you see the truth and don't like it please refaign from popping at my spelling ,punctuation, etc it poor form and shows just how trully Australian you are with your FIGJAM attitude . last point CV is C.V.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I am getting a bit pissed off with people pointing out my poor gramma if you don't get the point of my post but if you see the truth and don't like it please refaign from popping at my spelling ,punctuation, etc it poor form and shows just how trully Australian you are with your FIGJAM attitude . last point CV is C.V.
It was the fact you said you had loads of qualifications..but still lived in fear of being sacked (!)...easy target. I've never heard of people being sacked for being too good - normally they just piss someone off and irritate someone - their qualifications don't extend to shrewdness, or a bit of old fashioned gumption - being good is not the sole reason.

As for 'truly Australian' and FIGJAM - the UK is a hotbed of talent -I'm sure there are people FIGJAMing over there too. People spend a lot of time telling us how they are too FIGJAM for Australia and only the Uk will do...

But Guilty M'Lud of having a bit of a wind..
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:00 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It was the fact you said you had loads of qualifications..but still lived in fear of being sacked (!)...easy target. I've never heard of people being sacked for being too good - normally they just piss someone off and irritate someone - their qualifications don't extend to shrewdness, or a bit of old fashioned gumption - being good is not the sole reason.

As for 'truly Australian' and FIGJAM - the UK is a hotbed of talent -I'm sure there are people FIGJAMing over there too. People spend a lot of time telling us how they are too FIGJAM for Australia and only the Uk will do...

But Guilty M'Lud of having a bit of a wind..
me being a thicko member of the godsquad, what's FIGJAM
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:25 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
me being a thicko member of the godsquad, what's FIGJAM
Its a new type of biscuit. Like a Jammy Dodger but fig flavoured.

Ok I have no idea either. !
Old Jan 12th 2007, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

F*** I'm Good Just Ask Me.

Its abit of self-indulgence - you can't just be FIJGAM you have to earn the right to be FIGJAM. Most office FIGJAMs I know are fun to be around.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:16 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

thanks guys. Like the figroll analogy though
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Its a new type of biscuit. Like a Jammy Dodger but fig flavoured.

Ok I have no idea either. !
PMSL brightened my dull little day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.