Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Why did you move to Australia in the first place.

Why did you move to Australia in the first place.

Old Nov 19th 2006, 8:00 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you move to Australia in the first place.

Originally Posted by jond
Hi

I often read this forum and I am interested in what brought you to Australia in the first place.

Was it the promises of low cost of living, only having to work from 12-1.00 with an hour for lunch, beach, BBQs, etc. And how long was it before you realised that you had made a big mistake.

I will start the ball rolling. We moved here a year ago, we had a very comfortable lifestyle in the UK. Nice house in a nice area, good jobs, holidays etc. But over the last 5-6 years we had both become a bit restless and we decided if we don't give it a go now before we realised it we would be drawing our OAP and wondering what if?

It was quite easy for us to settle as all my family with the exception of my Dad live out here and we had been out here loads of times for holidays.

And just for the record, we love it here and have no plans to move anywhere for the foreseeable future.

John
We moved back to Australia obstensively to keep our family together .our grown children decided thy wanted to return and we followed .we came back to QLD as I was able to have work on landing . we have been back abit over a year and nothing has progressed if fact Oz is now further behind than it was when I left 8yrs ago .the things I can tell you are "wrong" are just inconvieniences of day to day life .The problem is that me and my soul mate (the woman I married 23yrs ago) feel a need to live at home and this isn't it .
Austrailans are even more arogant self prasing asses Australians all let us rejoyce for we are young and free .well if every body believes then easy to manipulate the population .anyway back to the point .we decided to come we .we don't like it we're going
Old Nov 19th 2006, 12:17 pm
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Mercedes]: Unless you have alot of sentimental stuff, I would find out how much it is to move it back to the UK opposed to buying it all again. I tend to travel light, and I sell everything unless it has sentimental value, in that way I've made some money on it by selling it, I don't have the cost of movers so I save money there, and it often doesn't cost that much to replace everything either.

I cannot agree with this I frieghted a container load of furniture and personals ,The items I sold in the UK I got peanuts for and some pieces i couldn't give away (even though they where bordering on antique) the value of the contents of the container where insured at £100,000 It didn't cost me any where near that figure to frieght and would not have sold for that figure and would have cost a damn site more to replace. if all you are frieghting is Ikea flat packs then this is true but ,if like me ,you have good furiture and what ever then frieghting is the best option .
Old Nov 19th 2006, 3:29 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sassenach
Got to agree ,the God squad dont treat anybody with any respect if you dare utter a word against Godsville .Why dont they just leave us in peace to rip the piss out of the joint and they can sit back and enjoy their mediochre,materialistic ,up them selves lifestyle .
While we of a higher intellectual intelligence can look at life in a deeper more meaningful plain .
Seeing you are of a "higher intellectual intelligence" I am surprised you are not more articulate.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 7:52 pm
beam me up scotty

Originally Posted by denver
Seeing you are of a "higher intellectual intelligence" I am surprised you are not more articulate.
it's a filter biult into the page that converts what's written into a more simple form for the Aussies & Wanna be's to be able understand
Old Nov 19th 2006, 11:20 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by denver
And you should learn to read before commenting on articulation .I actually wrote WE not I thus stating that we have a higher intelligence and humour which you dont have because you are either yank,aussie or a wannabee.

Last edited by sassenach; Nov 19th 2006 at 11:30 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:12 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassenach
And you should learn to read before commenting on articulation .I actually wrote WE not I thus stating that we have a higher intelligence and humour which you dont have because you are either yank,aussie or a wannabee.
She's a Dingo. A teacher living in the UK but doesn't like the overcrowding and ridiculous prices. From what Ive read of her posts she thinks that London is the UK, that all British kids are badly behaved and rude. She also can't see why the British allowed the Caribbeans into the UK and believes there are no drugs in Perth.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:27 am
beam me up scotty

Originally Posted by LouiseD
She's a Dingo. A teacher living in the UK but doesn't like the overcrowding and ridiculous prices. From what Ive read of her posts she thinks that London is the UK, that all British kids are badly behaved and rude. She also can't see why the British allowed the Caribbeans into the UK and believes there are no drugs in Perth.
which,to quote a frase I here often, if you don't like it why don't ya F off to where you came from??
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:16 am
beam me up scotty

Originally Posted by LouiseD
I didn't think they needed drugs in Perth ,they're all silly enough on fresh air
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:17 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toandfro
I didn't think they needed drugs in Perth ,they're all silly enough on fresh air

and plenty of it we have too thankyou Mr Toandfro.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:26 am
beam me up scotty

Originally Posted by northernbird
and plenty of it we have too thankyou Mr Toandfro.
it accounts for a lot don't breath to deeply we don't want you to pass out
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:27 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

it accounts for a lot don't breath to deeply we don't want you to pass out
why thankyou Mr Toandfro, concern for my wellbeing is admirable under the circumstances.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 4:57 am
beam me up scotty

why thankyou Mr Toandfro, concern for my wellbeing is admirable under the circumstances.
circumstances ? I don't understand are you suggesting something ???
Old Nov 20th 2006, 5:21 am
Gutter Gob!!

circumstances ? I don't understand are you suggesting something ???

considering you wish I wasn't breathing any air at all
Old Nov 20th 2006, 5:34 am
beam me up scotty

considering you wish I wasn't breathing any air at all
nb you judge me to harshly ,I would never presume such a thing ,i may disagree with just about every word you post but I would never wish harm to a fellow human being ,however I know what northeners are like with free stuff and I think you should leave some for someone else
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:09 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

nb you judge me to harshly ,I would never presume such a thing ,i may disagree with just about every word you post but I would never wish harm to a fellow human being ,however I know what northeners are like with free stuff and I think you should leave some for someone else
So all Northern folk are off you Christmas card list too then?

C stop waiting up for the postman delivering 'toandfro's' card, it's not coming!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.