British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Why did you move to Australia in the first place. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/why-did-you-move-australia-first-place-407968/)

jond Nov 14th 2006 6:34 am

Why did you move to Australia in the first place.

Hi

I often read this forum and I am interested in what brought you to Australia in the first place.

Was it the promises of low cost of living, only having to work from 12-1.00 with an hour for lunch, beach, BBQs, etc. And how long was it before you realised that you had made a big mistake.

I will start the ball rolling. We moved here a year ago, we had a very comfortable lifestyle in the UK. Nice house in a nice area, good jobs, holidays etc. But over the last 5-6 years we had both become a bit restless and we decided if we don't give it a go now before we realised it we would be drawing our OAP and wondering what if?

It was quite easy for us to settle as all my family with the exception of my Dad live out here and we had been out here loads of times for holidays.

And just for the record, we love it here and have no plans to move anywhere for the foreseeable future.

John

FPM Nov 14th 2006 7:14 am

Re: Why did you move to Australia in the first place.

Originally Posted by jond
Hi

I often read this forum and I am interested in what brought you to Australia in the first place.

Was it the promises of low cost of living, only having to work from 12-1.00 with an hour for lunch, beach, BBQs, etc. And how long was it before you realised that you had made a big mistake.

I will start the ball rolling. We moved here a year ago, we had a very comfortable lifestyle in the UK. Nice house in a nice area, good jobs, holidays etc. But over the last 5-6 years we had both become a bit restless and we decided if we don't give it a go now before we realised it we would be drawing our OAP and wondering what if?

It was quite easy for us to settle as all my family with the exception of my Dad live out here and we had been out here loads of times for holidays.

And just for the record, we love it here and have no plans to move anywhere for the foreseeable future.

John

Can't really see the point of this post in this forum. Surely it just lends itself to more 'us and them' arguments. Why are you interested in trawling through other people's 'huge mistakes'? Be happy that you're happy here and made the right move for your family.

Post it the Godzone, and you'll get answers from like minded people.

jond Nov 14th 2006 7:21 am

Originally Posted by FPM
Can't really see the point of this post in this forum. Surely it just lends itself to more 'us and them' arguments. Why are you interested in trawling through other people's 'huge mistakes'? Be happy that you're happy here and made the right move for your family.

It's a free world and a free forum.

I can ask what questions I like, I don't post on here to wind people up.

If people don't like my query they won't answer will they.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Nov 14th 2006 8:02 am

Originally Posted by jond
Hi

John

We moved for very similar reasons.. again, a nice house in the UK in a nice area, but felt we needed a new challenge. I was offered the chance to come via work and we thought we had to give it a try, life experience and all that... BUT, we had no family or friends here and that started to hit home really quickly. We have the Australian 'dream'.. big house, more than double the average Oz income, but nobody to share it with.. that and the fact that I have found Oz to be mind numbingly dull means we will be going back.

sassenach Nov 14th 2006 8:42 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
We moved for very similar reasons.. again, a nice house in the UK in a nice area, but felt we needed a new challenge. I was offered the chance to come via work and we thought we had to give it a try, life experience and all that... BUT, we had no family or friends here and that started to hit home really quickly. We have the Australian 'dream'.. big house, more than double the average Oz income, but nobody to share it with.. that and the fact that I have found Oz to be mind numbingly dull means we will be going back.

Get urself on the zoloft/prozac and life is wonderfull in aussie :rolleyes: ;)

iamthecreaturefromuranus Nov 14th 2006 8:47 am

Originally Posted by sassenach
Get urself on the zoloft/prozac and life is wonderfull in aussie :rolleyes: ;)

I already feel like somebody is putting Prozac in the water... :zzz:

sassenach Nov 14th 2006 8:49 am

Originally Posted by FPM

Got to agree ,the God squad dont treat anybody with any respect if you dare utter a word against Godsville .Why dont they just leave us in peace to rip the piss out of the joint and they can sit back and enjoy their mediochre,materialistic ,up them selves lifestyle .
While we of a higher intellectual intelligence can look at life in a deeper more meaningful plain .
:)

sassenach Nov 14th 2006 9:01 am

I actually dont know why i moved here to be honest ,i suppose it was somthing to do at the time and before i know it i got 2 grown up kids running around saying ''bloody oath mate '' ,''But '' ,''Eh maaate'',. :)

TraceyW Nov 14th 2006 1:00 pm

I reckon I was having a bit of a Shirley Valentine moment and my OH didn't fancy Greece!! :D

LouiseD Nov 14th 2006 7:07 pm

Can't remember I was on glue at the time ;)

jad n rich Nov 14th 2006 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Can't remember I was on glue at the time ;)

PMSL

I was seduced by lurve :D came with an aussie.

Wouldnt have moved here in a blue fit otherwise, because I wasnt living in a one up one down northern backsteet getting mugged every day like so many seem to experienced :rolleyes: had quite a nice life in UK too.

LouiseD Nov 14th 2006 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich
PMSL

I was seduced by lurve :D came with an aussie.

Wouldnt have moved here in a blue fit otherwise, because I wasnt living in a one up one down northern backsteet getting mugged every day like so many seem to experienced :rolleyes: had quite a nice life in UK too.

Hey nice to meet someone else who belonged to that very elite group :D

Lord Pom Percy Nov 14th 2006 10:16 pm

They thought it would be like Home and Away and Neighbours but once they moved downunder found it was more like Cell Block H or prisoner as its called in OZ.

LouiseD Nov 14th 2006 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
They thought it would be like Home and Away and Neighbours but once they moved downunder found it was more like Cell Block H or prisoner as its called in OZ.

You are too harsh. We found it to be more like the Sullivans ;)

FPM Nov 14th 2006 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy

I find it more like Planet of the Apes :cool: