Where to live in the UK?

Old Jul 11th 2022, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where to live in the UK?

Hello all!

So, after 15 years of going back and forth over considering to relocate back to the UK from Florida, I think we have finally agreed that this would be a good move for our family. We are not happy in the way in which the US is heading and in particular have seen and experienced major changes within Florida which do not make us feel comfortable.

We are in the process of selling our home in Florida and will be renting over here until we decide on our next move. My daughter, 10, is homeschooled, (we decided that would be a safer option as I was not happy with my child participating in shooter drills at the age of 6 in the classroom etc). and is looking forward to starting school in a system which is safer. Her current curricula is UK based so hopefully the transition will be a smooth one.

Our ideal location would be one in a village which is not too far from a city. I miss the country side walks with far reaching views. My research has taken me to Durham and surroundings; Cheshire , York and Harrogate. Villages outside of these areas look pretty but I know nothing about them and if they would be a good fit for us. We would plan to rent in the area first before investing in a property. I am totally unfamiliar with the surrounding small villages and would appreciate any feedback or info on good / bad areas.

We are planning on a much needed vacation back to the UK later on this year, with the hope of driving around some areas which I hope to narrow down beforehand. Hope to fly into Manchester and AirBNB in any of those areas which we narrow down.

Thank you in advance for any info!
Old Jul 11th 2022, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in the UK?

Lots of lovely small towns and villages in the areas you listed. I grew up about 12 miles from Durham, we lived in a small market town where our children were born and a small village in N. Yorkshire while they were very young. Good idea to rent somewhere for a while to feel out an area, discover how well it might suit you.
Old Jul 11th 2022, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Lots of lovely small towns and villages in the areas you listed. I grew up about 12 miles from Durham, we lived in a small market town where our children were born and a small village in N. Yorkshire while they were very young. Good idea to rent somewhere for a while to feel out an area, discover how well it might suit you.
Thanks! Would you mind sharing the names of the towns around Durham where you lived and also the one in N Yorks? I have a blank slate at the moment! Thanks again.
Old Jul 11th 2022, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Norfolk is lovely as is Surrey and Sussex ....
Old Jul 11th 2022, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

ExBrit62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Surrey is a lovely part of England but very expensive. A one bedroom flat will cost at least £250k. Lincolnshire and Nottingham have some lovely villages and you get more for your money.
Old Jul 11th 2022, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

ExBrit62 is an unknown quantity at this point

You should also look at the tax implications of moving back to the UK carefully. It may be prudent to get some advice to avoid being hit with CGT.
Old Jul 11th 2022, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExBritFL
Thanks! Would you mind sharing the names of the towns around Durham where you lived and also the one in N Yorks? I have a blank slate at the moment! Thanks again.
For Durham I grew up in Seaham Harbour and I love Barnard Castle.

In N. Yorkshire we lived in Kirklevington, and there are some good options very close by as well. Our favourite place, where our children were born and where we live now is Guisborough on the northern edge of the N Yorks National Park and only 5 miles in from the coast
Old Jul 11th 2022, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by durham_lad
For Durham I grew up in Seaham Harbour and I love Barnard Castle.

In N. Yorkshire we lived in Kirklevington, and there are some good options very close by as well. Our favourite place, where our children were born and where we live now is Guisborough on the northern edge of the N Yorks National Park and only 5 miles in from the coast
And if you move a bit further down, the Ripon, Harrogate, and York areas all have their good spots but it looks like the OP has researched this. Harrogate and York also have good commuter links to Leeds. Ilkley is nice but pricey.

Last edited by Johnboyuk; Jul 11th 2022 at 8:59 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2022, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

North East Essex is on the up and up with many lovely villages to the east of Colchester.....
Old Jul 11th 2022, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, I shall research these!
Old Jul 11th 2022, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Johnboyuk
And if you move a bit further down, the Ripon, Harrogate, and York areas all have their good spots but it looks like the OP has researched this. Harrogate and York also have good commuter links to Leeds. Ilkley is nice but pricey.
Ripon does indeed show up on my searches and looks lovely, so thank you for the endorsement! Love Harrogate but a little pricey it seems. York equally as beautiful.
Old Jul 11th 2022, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ExBrit62
You should also look at the tax implications of moving back to the UK carefully. It may be prudent to get some advice to avoid being hit with CGT.
My understanding is that as long as I am a non resident of the UK at the time of selling our main residence in the USA; we should be exempt? I will do some more research though. Longest stay for us in the UK was in 2011 for 6 months.
Old Jul 11th 2022, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ExBritFL
Ripon does indeed show up on my searches and looks lovely, so thank you for the endorsement! Love Harrogate but a little pricey it seems. York equally as beautiful.
If you want access to a city but live in a semi-rural location, a good start may be to look at the places on the rail links. I am in Guiseley, west of Leeds, and I have the best of both Worlds with the moors on my doorstep but I can get into Leeds by train in 11 minutes. Don't forget to research the crime and the yobbo element in these places. All are not equal and that applies to just about most of the UK.

Network Map 26.10.21 (northernrailway.co.uk)

Last edited by Johnboyuk; Jul 11th 2022 at 9:38 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2022, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Johnboyuk
If you want access to a city but live in a semi-rural location, a good start may be to look at the places on the rail links. I am in Guiseley, west of Leeds, and I have the best of both Worlds with the moors on my doorstep but I can get into Leeds by train in 11 minutes. Don't forget to research the crime and the yobbo element in these places. All are not equal and that applies to just about most of the UK.

Network Map 26.10.21 (northernrailway.co.uk)

This is so helpful. Thank you! I'm hoping I can visit these areas on our trip this year. We are planning to fly into Manchester. Hoping that the driving and researching will be doable!
Old Jul 12th 2022, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I am in a tiny village called Sandford in Scotland. Very pretty and fantastic for families and people who love countryside. It feels very rural but the nearest little town is on 3 miles away and has a good selection of everything we need, it is called Strathaven. Then Glasgow is only half an hour away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.