Where to live in the UK?

Old Jul 29th 2022, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

boomerbritcan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to live in the UK?

East Anglia sounds good. I've never been there I will check out rentals in the area and in Norwich online. Also any of the market towns nearby. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Jul 29th 2022, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

My sister gave me the 'warning' that I would not be covered by NHS as I had been away too long. I am so relieved that you have told me that coverage will resume once I have returned and found a place to live! One less concern! Thanks!

Last edited by boomerbritcan; Jul 29th 2022 at 1:21 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2022, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That's not correct. NHS eligibility is based on residency, so as soon as you move back you're covered.

HTH.
Exactly.

We moved back after almost 30 years away, became resident on Day 1, registered with the NHS the week we arrived and had my regular prescription issued. I simply brought in the bottle and the doctor said, "That is exactly what we prescribe for that condition", and gave me a repeat prescription.
Old Jul 29th 2022, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

I am so relieved! I have been away from living in England for more years than you have! Thanks for letting me know I would still be covered by NHS on my return!
Old Jul 29th 2022, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boomerbritcan
I am so relieved! I have been away from living in England for more years than you have! Thanks for letting me know I would still be covered by NHS on my return!

You won't have an NHS number that works (they changed the numbering system while we were away) and they couldn't find any record of our previous NHS history but that was not a problem, we filled in the form to register with a GP and a new NHS number was issued. The lack of records did raise some amusing situations when going in for vaccine jabs such as flu, because the practice nurse will comment that it appears we have had no childhood vaccines etc., and in fact no visits to a doctor before 2016.
Old Jul 29th 2022, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by durham_lad
You won't have an NHS number that works (they changed the numbering system while we were away) and they couldn't find any record of our previous NHS history but that was not a problem, we filled in the form to register with a GP and a new NHS number was issued. The lack of records did raise some amusing situations when going in for vaccine jabs such as flu, because the practice nurse will comment that it appears we have had no childhood vaccines etc., and in fact no visits to a doctor before 2016.
Thanks for the information! I last used my NHS number in 1998 when I saw a dentist and was covered then but have no idea what the number was. Regardless, if they have changed the numbering system since then, it's still a relief to know I can fill out a form and get one when registering with a GP. Hope it is easier to find a GP there! Where I am living, there is a shortage of GPs and a three year waiting list! Lucky to have a GP is in a different city, 180kms away but she has just decided to retire and close the practice! My final appointment is at the end of August, then I am out of luck! It seems that all the doors are closing behind me... a sure sign that going home to England is the very best plan!
Old Jul 30th 2022, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the information! I last used my NHS number in 1998 when I saw a dentist and was covered then but have no idea what the number was. Regardless, if they have changed the numbering system since then, it's still a relief to know I can fill out a form and get one when registering with a GP. Hope it is easier to find a GP there! Where I am living, there is a shortage of GPs and a three year waiting list! Lucky to have a GP is in a different city, 180kms away but she has just decided to retire and close the practice! My final appointment is at the end of August, then I am out of luck! It seems that all the doors are closing behind me... a sure sign that going home to England is the very best plan!
Just don't expect too much. The situation seems to vary from one area to another but there are a lot of complaints in general about difficulties in getting access to healthcare. Private healthcare used to be the preserve of the wealthy. Now practically everyone I know in the UK has, at some point or other, either gone private and paid for it themselves or taken out private medical insurance.

Old Jul 30th 2022, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Just don't expect too much. The situation seems to vary from one area to another but there are a lot of complaints in general about difficulties in getting access to healthcare. Private healthcare used to be the preserve of the wealthy. Now practically everyone I know in the UK has, at some point or other, either gone private and paid for it themselves or taken out private medical insurance.

Thanks for your message. I suppose I will know when I get there and register with a GP! Hopefully not as bleak as it sounds. Looking on the positive side, at least I am still eligible for a new NHS number!
Old Aug 7th 2022, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the feedback. We are strongly veering towards spending more time to research Norwich. It puts my husband at a doable commute to London if required (hoping he can work remotely most of the time). Once my passport is renewed, we can book a holiday (vacation ha!) for a couple of weeks to check the area. So far, I like the historical aspect of the city, markets and also that it has been voted one of the safest city's to live in. But we shall see ~ hopefully soon!
Old Aug 8th 2022, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExBritFL
Thanks for all the feedback. We are strongly veering towards spending more time to research Norwich. It puts my husband at a doable commute to London if required (hoping he can work remotely most of the time). Once my passport is renewed, we can book a holiday (vacation ha!) for a couple of weeks to check the area. So far, I like the historical aspect of the city, markets and also that it has been voted one of the safest city's to live in. But we shall see ~ hopefully soon!
Hi, I would also have a look at Suffolk the commute is a lot better and Suffolk is very similar to Norfolk.
Old Aug 21st 2022, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi, I would also have a look at Suffolk the commute is a lot better and Suffolk is very similar to Norfolk.
Thank you! I will do a search in Suffolk! I have to find a rental apartment -- or even a room and private bathroom to start with, or perhaps a shared accommodation with affordable rent as I will have to exist on my Canadian pension money (which I can transfer to the UK) to start with. Planning to augment that money with creative work once I get there! I am open to any beautiful location in England! It is all wonderful as far as I am concerned! The best part about most small towns and villages is the train service to other parts of England and of course, the train to London! One can never feel isolated!
Old Aug 22nd 2022, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! I will do a search in Suffolk! I have to find a rental apartment -- or even a room and private bathroom to start with, or perhaps a shared accommodation with affordable rent as I will have to exist on my Canadian pension money (which I can transfer to the UK) to start with. Planning to augment that money with creative work once I get there! I am open to any beautiful location in England! It is all wonderful as far as I am concerned! The best part about most small towns and villages is the train service to other parts of England and of course, the train to London! One can never feel isolated!
I can see you in somewhere like Totnes, Devon. Friendly little town with loads of artists and a very active local community. And a train line to Exeter. Devon’s an expensive part of the country but I see a small flat has just gone on the market for £695 per month.
It’s unlikely you’ll be able to secure a long term rental from Canada (and in any case you would surely want to view it yourself - in case it’s a dump) so your best option might be to start off in an Airbnb while you look around.
Might be good to be close to family, just until you get on your feet.
Old Aug 22nd 2022, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-62344571

This quite appeals to me. Should Him Indoors ever head off to the big bike shed in the sky.
Old Aug 22nd 2022, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
I can see you in somewhere like Totnes, Devon. Friendly little town with loads of artists and a very active local community. And a train line to Exeter. Devon’s an expensive part of the country but I see a small flat has just gone on the market for £695 per month.
It’s unlikely you’ll be able to secure a long term rental from Canada (and in any case you would surely want to view it yourself - in case it’s a dump) so your best option might be to start off in an Airbnb while you look around.
Might be good to be close to family, just until you get on your feet.
You are right and finding a rental in a nice place seems to be very difficult and anything that's affordable is probably gone the next day. For me retirement would be a big challenge now and it seems that even nicer places are ruined by a few. The problem with these small towns is that it's either very expensive or you have a lot of poverty around you and unfortunately that also brings anti social behaviour. I don't know if it's an age thing, but the dumbing down seems to be getting worse and I sometimes wonder if it will get better in the future.
Old Aug 23rd 2022, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moses2013
You are right and finding a rental in a nice place seems to be very difficult and anything that's affordable is probably gone the next day. For me retirement would be a big challenge now and it seems that even nicer places are ruined by a few. The problem with these small towns is that it's either very expensive or you have a lot of poverty around you and unfortunately that also brings anti social behaviour. I don't know if it's an age thing, but the dumbing down seems to be getting worse and I sometimes wonder if it will get better in the future.
I ask myself the same question. Are people getting thicker or am I just getting grumpier?

What are your own plans for retirement Moses? Will you stay put in the west of Ireland?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.