Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Where is left in the UK thats nice to live

Where is left in the UK thats nice to live

Old Apr 28th 2008, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is left in the UK thats nice to live

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
All great recommendations if you can find work nearby (and don't mind the weather of the Highlands, Lakes, and North Yorks! ).
Ah, but with my magic wand I wouldnt need to work (am semi retired anyway) and after nearly 30 years of heat/drought believe me, the rest of my life with rain, rugged up days, snow would be absolute bl**dy heaven!!!!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quoll
If I had a magic wand and could go home tomorrow I think I would head for Devon .

You'd be more than welcome quoll, but don't tell everyone, they'll all want to live there
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

mattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to behold

Sussex Downs
Chilterns (Bucks, Herts)
Cotswolds
New Forest
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

If I had to go back, I'd be looking at N. Yorkshire, I really fancy Whitby, or somewhere up on the Moors. Otherwise:

Wales, around Cardiff;
Appleby
Lincolnshire Wolds.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mattmc
Sussex Downs
Chilterns (Bucks, Herts)
Cotswolds
New Forest
Yes, New Forest, I'll second that emotion. It's not as wild or visually impressive as, say, Dartmoor, or Exmoor, in fact that's why I like it. I know I can never really get lost because a road is never more than two or three miles away. I live on the eastern edge but I think if I was able to choose i'd probably for for Brockenhurst as it's got a mainline station or Lyndhurst which has massive traffic problems but I rather like all the same. Had a very nice meal there on Friday night in The Fox and Hounds, pleasant drive over the forest in the evening, venison pie, pint of Tribute bitter, home in the dark watching out for the ponies. If I won the lottery I'd move to Central London.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:38 am
Just Joined

jonathantrillo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by geeandtee
If I had to go back, I'd be looking at N. Yorkshire, I really fancy Whitby, or somewhere up on the Moors. Otherwise:

Wales, around Cardiff;
Appleby
Lincolnshire Wolds.
I live in Whitby.

...meh.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 3:20 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattmc
Sussex Downs
Chilterns (Bucks, Herts)
Cotswolds
New Forest
All nice places and surrounding areas, towns, villages etc. It does all depend on where the work is, but being a Herts. girl, that's probably where we'd be heading.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by quoll
If I had a magic wand and could go home tomorrow I think I would head for Devon or Cornwall or possibly Somerset/Dorset. Failing that then North Yorkshire/The Lakes or The Highlands of Scotland. I love Cambridgeshire and would happily go back to the village I started in but I think I would like to try somewhere else for a while.

I am going to Cambridgeshire, if all goes to plan, I hope to be home in July

Sx
Old Apr 29th 2008, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
All nice places and surrounding areas, towns, villages etc. It does all depend on where the work is, but being a Herts. girl, that's probably where we'd be heading.
Me too.. and i enjoying dreaming about it often!! Herts is perfect because your close enough to London but yet still in some fantastic countryside.. is a win-win for me!!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 3:42 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambapink
Me too.. and i enjoying dreaming about it often!! Herts is perfect because your close enough to London but yet still in some fantastic countryside.. is a win-win for me!!
Hello L. Yes, dreaming is all I do I'm afraid. Do you watch any of those property programmes on tv? There was one on last night and they were around the WX, Abbey and Cheshunt areas. Made me really homesick it did.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Hello L. Yes, dreaming is all I do I'm afraid. Do you watch any of those property programmes on tv? There was one on last night and they were around the WX, Abbey and Cheshunt areas. Made me really homesick it did.
Nooo I didnt see it... I would have been in a heap! A friend just sent me the local paper and I spent all day sunday looking through the property sections... OMG the prices!!! Its funny cos we looked at some of the houses and thought 'what a pile of shite'!! and then others that were in small villages around Bishops Stortford and they were just dream houses for me... beautiful farm houses with a bit of land... ahhhhhh off to dream again
Old Apr 29th 2008, 4:20 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
I seem to recall G that she is from my neck of the woods, lancaster morecambe way. Unless you are loaded and want to live in the lakes all the nice areas surrounding where I come from are gone. nice countryside but that is about it.
We are looking at moving back to Cumbria as OH has a job secured already.....place called Brampton, 15 mins from Carlisle, any thoughts, experiences etc from anyone???????

Fanks in advance
Mrs M xxx
Old Apr 29th 2008, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
We are looking at moving back to Cumbria as OH has a job secured already.....place called Brampton, 15 mins from Carlisle, any thoughts, experiences etc from anyone???????

Fanks in advance
Mrs M xxx
I vaguely remember Brampton, it's very rural up there!!! The scenery is fantastic. It's not far from Hadrian's Wall. There's lots of little, remote villages up there, but that's about all I remember. Being 15 minutes from Carlisle is handy, there's good shopping there. When we left they were starting work on the new Hospital, I don't know if it's finished yet, but it looked to be a good one.
Sorry, I'm not much help, but I have a memory like a sieve.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandrainaus

Sx
Great!!! I am going to be home in Cambridgeshire July/August. Cant think of a better time to be there (except perhaps NOW!!!) Maybe we could catch up for coffee. Unfortunately mine will be a flying visit - just the month - but better than nothing!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 7:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sandrainaus

Sx

Us too, DW & DD move back in July, I can only go back for 2 weeks, but will be back for good before xmas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.