Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Where did you go last weekend...in the UK?

Where did you go last weekend...in the UK?

Old Jan 31st 2007, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

thunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where did you go last weekend...in the UK?

Originally Posted by Jude J
Oh, now your making me homesick! Not really, but I loved living in Portsmouth. Is that Baffins? I used to work near Gunwharf so saw the ships every day.
Great place to live isn't it?

yes that is baffins pond, taen in summer couple of years ago. portsmouth being changed and lotsa upmarket appts now being built, seems he rough area of portsea the place to be now. the tower now open too and looks good. quite a striking site when entering the city. standing on the shore just watching the harbour is nice, walked up the end of my road ( hayling ave) and across to the sea and realise there is a pond there too. travelled all that way not realising i not checked out my own area. Off up that tower weekend promised my son i walk the floor of death. glass floor. . if i take pics they be shaky. lotsa a good eateries in gunwharf too
Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

neekie will become famous soon enoughneekie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by thunderbird65
we in portsmouth right by theses places, also south downs etc, i dont know how to put pics on. my family arrived back in uk friday and we intend to see more of our area now, especially as my partner not seen much of hampshire. she spent many years in perth and couldnt wait to get out. picked em up in limo and 9yr old son in tears when he saw me. priceless
We are in Gosport, just over the water from Portsmouth and I have to agree, there are a lot of beautiful places to see on the south coast. The New forest, the beautiful beaches and history on the Isle of Wight ( only 15 mins on the foot passenger ferry), the Spinnaker tower is well worth a visit ( far too chicken to go up there myself but my kids tell me it brilliant!!), the historical dockyard in Pompey is great if the navy is of interest, fabulous walks on the South downs.....the list could go on and on. So why am I waiting for PR to Canada? Someone remind me!!!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't got nice pic's but I went with the kids and friends to a swimming pool where tons of fun was had on the slides and rapids.
I also went to my dad's and took my dog to the New Forest... oh it's beautiful there with the ponies wondering up to you. Dog wasn't too sure on them though
Old Feb 15th 2007, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

thunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond repute

went up the spinnaker tower the weekend, was fab, walked around gunwharf quays and it was brilliant, so many different restaurants there, chinese, italian, thai etc. had a great day out there
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:10 pm
JRB
Forum Regular

JRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to behold

Hi, we've been back here for about 2 months now. My weekends in Perth were often spent working and if not we would usually go to Hilarys or Floreat, both great spots as we are a family with small kids but after a while it got very samey.
Last weekend in the UK we went to a small village near Kettering to visit some friends (who we met in Perth) and then on Sunday we had a big family day with a massive Sunday lunch followed by a visit to a tacky seafront pier in Felixstowe. It hadn't changed in 20 years and as gross as it was with glaring lights, bingo, greasy smells, noise etc ........the kids had a great time, the sun was shining and it was just great to all be together.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JRB
Hi, we've been back here for about 2 months now. My weekends in Perth were often spent working and if not we would usually go to Hilarys or Floreat, both great spots as we are a family with small kids but after a while it got very samey.
Last weekend in the UK we went to a small village near Kettering to visit some friends (who we met in Perth) and then on Sunday we had a big family day with a massive Sunday lunch followed by a visit to a tacky seafront pier in Felixstowe. It hadn't changed in 20 years and as gross as it was with glaring lights, bingo, greasy smells, noise etc ........the kids had a great time, the sun was shining and it was just great to all be together.
I know what you mean about kids having fun. My in-laws live in Whitley Bay and our kids absolutley love to go 'gambling' along the sea front.

Infact, when we visited Niagara falls, the place is full of kids gambling haunts and that's all my kids remember of Niagara, not the wonderful falls, or the maid in the mist trip but the gambling! Kids are easily pleased.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blowfly
All the best I . It is amazing really, you don't realise what you had until it wasn't there anymore Just don't listen to all negative reports about the UK. I think that's how the whole immigration things start.
That happens to be so true.
You build up a picture of doom and gloom in the UK and think that its all bright over in Oz a different lifestyle etc the papers in the UK and the media in general have a lot to answer for.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=ShozInOz;4335749]OK I'm trying to get over my winter blues, so here's another positive UK thread!

Many of us come back to the UK for the diverse and interesting places that it offers, many within easy reach from anywhere. This thread is for those in the UK to say where they went LAST WEEKEND, for the benefit of those thinking of returning or those already here. If you attach photos, say where they were taken.

QUOTE]

Last weekend it rained both days so didn't go anywhere!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:44 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=marvinc;4411635]
Originally Posted by ShozInOz
OK I'm trying to get over my winter blues, so here's another positive UK thread!

Many of us come back to the UK for the diverse and interesting places that it offers, many within easy reach from anywhere. This thread is for those in the UK to say where they went LAST WEEKEND, for the benefit of those thinking of returning or those already here. If you attach photos, say where they were taken.

QUOTE]

Last weekend it rained both days so didn't go anywhere!
Reminds me of Perth...too hot to do owt, stayed indoors.

But this weekend looks grim..so...stay indoors, nowt to do.

Now you lot are making me hungry for the UK again stop it!!!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 12:04 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=paulrachel;4411729]
Originally Posted by marvinc

Reminds me of Perth...too hot to do owt, stayed indoors.

But this weekend looks grim..so...stay indoors, nowt to do.

Now you lot are making me hungry for the UK again stop it!!!
Feels very autumnal, this weekend last year we were baking our arses off looking for a rental. This year the surf club is cancelled because of bad weather.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of

Saturday - Took 4 kids to the Imperial War Museum at Duxford. Most of the place undercover, with displays that the kids can climb on (various tanks and aircraft) and a short flying display. Cost...........£10.00, as kids are free and a picnic as supplied by Mrs Burt.

Saturday evening - Had a magnificent curry delivered. Booked a sky box office (The Poseidon Adventure) and snuggled down in front of the fire, with the central heating on, wearing shorts and T shirt (not like NZ in mid winter eh? lol)

Sunday morning - Went for a bike ride, read the Sunday papers, put the roast in (NZ leg of lamb obviously export quality, bought for £6 or $16 NZD) then down to our pub built in 1689 (The Fox & Hounds) for a pint sat infront of a blazing fire in the inglenook.

I won't go on, but since we returned from Prosaic Land (NZ) we realise what a great place the UK really is!

Burt
Old Feb 24th 2007, 1:17 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burt Badger
Saturday - Took 4 kids to the Imperial War Museum at Duxford. Most of the place undercover, with displays that the kids can climb on (various tanks and aircraft) and a short flying display. Cost...........£10.00, as kids are free and a picnic as supplied by Mrs Burt.

Saturday evening - Had a magnificent curry delivered. Booked a sky box office (The Poseidon Adventure) and snuggled down in front of the fire, with the central heating on, wearing shorts and T shirt (not like NZ in mid winter eh? lol)

Sunday morning - Went for a bike ride, read the Sunday papers, put the roast in (NZ leg of lamb obviously export quality, bought for £6 or $16 NZD) then down to our pub built in 1689 (The Fox & Hounds) for a pint sat infront of a blazing fire in the inglenook.

I won't go on, but since we returned from Prosaic Land (NZ) we realise what a great place the UK really is!

Burt
Ah sweet memories. Duxford, a fire in the hearth (although ours were gas logs & coals, still lovely though) and, a curry delivered. I hope you had a decent mint sauce with the roast.