Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with Australia?

What's wrong with Australia?

Old Apr 4th 2005, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

SDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really nice
Default Re: What's wrong with Australia?

Originally Posted by wombat42
Sounds like you moved from a great part of Canada to a crap part of OZ, Sounds like Perth or Darwin. There are crap parts of Northern Canada where it is too freezing cold most of the year to do anything and parts of Canada where there are high crime rates. That does'nt mean all of Canada is crap.
Still......I even loved Perth & Darwin!!!!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

SDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really nice

Originally Posted by javajive
What most people see when they first go to a new country is the physical things - beaches, mountains, shops, buildings etc.

But really this things are just the back drop to life - not the essence of life.

The fact that Oz in English speaking actually enables people to feel far deeper far quicker what Oz culture is all about. Where as those that go to Spain or France often remain in their bubbles with rose coloured glasses for years and years.
Well, I can fully understand that. I live in San Diego, California. Its also a tourist town with all the attractions, beaches and great weather. But once you start working there, living there and getting to know the people, Oh and deal with the traffic, you see a different side to it. The holiday mode is completely turned off. I guess when looking for a place to live you have to look at it with a side to how it would be like to live there as a resident and not a tourist. I must say though, give me a VB in OZ and I will be happy!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 7:20 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Firstly 90% is uninhabitable desert
Secondly, the natives(and I mean whites) are basically arrogant, pretentious, materialistic, and not given to friendliness unless they see an advantage in it for them.
thirdly, the heat can just wear you out at times
and regarding wombats comment on employment: employment here is measured as having one hour of paid work per week.

You can have a good lifestlye here financially speaking, but on any other level, don't hold your breath.

I'm out of here and heading to UK as soon as I finish my degree.

It's a nice place for a holiday, living here is something else.
Australia is'nt 90% desert, Look at the eastern states where most of the population lives TAS, VIC, NSW and QLD most of it is nice green countryside.
As for the heat wearing you out, its not hot all the time, except in the far north of the country where very few people live, such as Darwin. Where most of the population lives the weather only gets hot during 3 months during summer and where l live l would only describe `10-15 days this summer as being hot, most summer days have been between 20-30 degrees. During winter it gets very cold in OZ and snows in many parts of VIC and NSW.
Go to Melbourne on a typical winter day, 4-12 degees pouring down raining, snowing in the Dandelong hills and tell me if you think its hot in Oz all the time.

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 4th 2005 at 7:53 pm.

Old Apr 4th 2005, 7:39 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by neverland

And now how I live in Australia:

- a secured apartment (with drunk Aboriginals in front of the house and sometimes drug user needles), a lot of crime, just last night our car got broken into (again!). We have double locks on everything. Of course I could move into a house in the suburbs (but then I have to commute to work forever)
- Hardly anything to do, far too hot for 7 months of the year. Best thing you can is swim in the sea, apart from that not much to do outdoors
Where abouts in OZ do you live?
You live in a secured apartment , surrounded by drunk Aboriginies and drug addicts, the only place that sounds like is Redfern in Sydney, why would you choose to live in such a rough area, why don't you move. You also say its Hot 7 months of the year. The only places in OZ where it is hot 7 months a year are up in the far north, Darwin, Cairns etc.

Old Apr 4th 2005, 7:46 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by kiwichild
the natives(and I mean whites) are basically arrogant, pretentious, materialistic, and not given to friendliness unless they see an advantage in it for them.
I'm out of here and heading to UK as soon as I finish my degree.
Actually l might join you and move to the Uk where there are no arrogant, pretentious, materialistic, unfriendly people or anyone that takes advantage of other people , sounds like paradise.

Old Apr 4th 2005, 8:37 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Correct. Any place is wonderful when your life consists of a few days in the pool, down the bar and generally lounging around. Once you live there, eat work, sleep, deal with the beaurocracy on a day to day basis and all the other shit that goes with everyday life it can seem somewhat different.
Sounds like my first marriage
Old Apr 5th 2005, 3:26 am
Badge

you tell them Wombat, its all about what you make of it, and where you go..

people have to think about it, and not just jump in to a city..there are a lot of factors to weigh up.

Badge

Old Apr 5th 2005, 4:55 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Geez, I agree with Wombat for once!

THere's a lot of exageration going on in here!
7 months to hot! Ha, do you think 25 is hot already??
90% desert, yeah right. And 90% of the people (actually, probably 98%) don't live in the desert!

Neverland, choose a different suburb, or even street! Not all suburbs close to any CBD are like that!
But, anyway, you've got enough reasons to leave (no family, can't find work, can't make good friends), you don't need to drag in reasons that are not Australia's problem!

To answer the OP's question. There's plenty wrong with Australia, no country is perfect, or even comes close!
I still think the main reasons for leaving are to do with homesickness and family, and 'difficulties' with moving(getting new job, new friends), and not necessarily the country itself(ie, it could happen in most countries you can immigrate too).
Please all note I said MAIN reasons, not all reasons!!!

I think Australia's main 'problems' (aren't necessarily problems for everyone), are isolation(distance to other countries(mainly europe), and the small population(which leads to less job oppertunities in a few area's, and all sorts of econmic/market stuff, can't explain properly...)!

Last edited by Simone; Apr 5th 2005 at 5:20 am.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

neverland will become famous soon enoughneverland will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Simone
Geez, I agree with Wombat for once!

THere's a lot of exageration going on in here!
7 months to hot! Ha, do you think 25 is hot already??
90% desert, yeah right. And 90% of the people (actually, probably 98%) don't live in the desert!

Neverland, choose a different suburb, or even street! Not all suburbs close to any CBD are like that!
But, anyway, you've got enough reasons to leave (no family, can't find work, can't make good friends), you don't need to drag in reasons that are not Australia's problem!
I wish I knew what your problem is. I gave a description of what my life was like and what it is like here. I did not give any reasons to leave. What I listed is the reality of my life here. And not once did I exaggerate. And yes, in Darwin and in Perth it is 7 months too hot. Guess what, in Darwin the thermometer hardly goes below 25 degrees (even at night). And guess what: it is a fact, that Australia is the second driest continent on earth. And guess what: moving to a different suburb would solve no problems because I already leave in the suburb with the least crime. Far out, you are not in my shoes. Who are you to comment on what things are like here (not even knowing where exactly I live in Australia).
Old Apr 5th 2005, 5:52 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I knew what your problem is. I gave a description of what my life was like and what it is like here. I did not give any reasons to leave. What I listed is the reality of my life here. And not once did I exaggerate. And yes, in Darwin and in Perth it is 7 months too hot. Guess what, in Darwin the thermometer hardly goes below 25 degrees (even at night). And guess what: it is a fact, that Australia is the second driest continent on earth. And guess what: moving to a different suburb would solve no problems because I already leave in the suburb with the least crime. Far out, you are not in my shoes. Who are you to comment on what things are like here (not even knowing where exactly I live in Australia).
Ok, so I did judge a bit.
Right, so you live in Darwin. But why not say you are talking about Darwin? Not all Australian cities are like that(and I still don't think Darwin is that bad, but obviously is for you).

Your comments were about living in AUSTRALIA. Not all Australia is like that. You could move to a better area in Australia. But you chose not to. Which is not Australia's fault. It is (partly anyway) Darwin's fault.

Then my comments were also aimed at Kiwichild, who agreed with you. I know she lives in Perth.

I know Australia is a very dry continent, what has that got to do with this discussion?

Perth 7 months to hot? I would say warm, yes, hot, no! Geez, what is hot to you, over 20?
Perth is hot(over 35 for me...) for a FEW days in December and january, and usually a few more in February. This year also hot for a few days in March. February this year was mostly around 27!
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_009225.shtml
Mean daily max dec: 29.1
Mean jan: 30.7
mean feb: 31.3
mean march: 29.2

Darwin is quite different:
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_014016.shtml
Too hot for me too.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 5:53 am
wombat42

Darwin is hot or warm most of the year but not Perth, although in Perth does get quite a few hot days during summer , most summer days are under 30 degrees,The rest of the year it is a pleasant 15-25 degrees in Perth mostly, for example it is 21 degrees in Perth today.
It is only hot or warm all year round up it the far north of OZ, the tropics, in places like Darwin and Townsville, but only a small percentage of the population lives up there.

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 5th 2005 at 6:01 am.

Old Apr 5th 2005, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

neverland will become famous soon enoughneverland will become famous soon enough

Simone, I don't know where I said that I live in Darwin? I might be living in Cairns, Kununurra, Broome or God knows where up north. I took Darwin as an example.

The fact is, that you could be living like I do in Australia or you could be living like Wombat does. It is all part of life in Australia. And you know I have been to every Australian city at least 5-6 times. I am not interested in moving into a city with Mio. of people. I don't like rat race and I don't like commuting. Unfortunately, Australia does not have much to offer when it comes to small towns. That is my personal opinion. I find people in small towns here very narrow-minded. A lot more narrow-minded than people in small towns in Europe. Maybe that is because Australia is isolated and most of this people have never left their small town.

I find dry boring (others don't). I find dry flat bush country extremely boring. Having visited about 50 countries and having lived in half a dozen I am probably spoilt when it comes to scenery. Sorry.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 6:09 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone, I don't know where I said that I live in Darwin? I might be living in Cairns, Kununurra, Broome or God knows where up north. I took Darwin as an example.

The fact is, that you could be living like I do in Australia or you could be living like Wombat does. It is all part of life in Australia. And you know I have been to every Australian city at least 5-6 times. I am not interested in moving into a city with Mio. of people. I don't like rat race and I don't like commuting. Unfortunately, Australia does not have much to offer when it comes to small towns. That is my personal opinion. I find people in small towns here very narrow-minded. A lot more narrow-minded than people in small towns in Europe. Maybe that is because Australia is isolated and most of this people have never left their small town.

I find dry boring (others don't). I find dry flat bush country extremely boring. Having visited about 50 countries and having lived in half a dozen I am probably spoilt when it comes to scenery. Sorry.
This post is very different to your original post.

All I'm trying to say is that not all of Australia is hot, not all of Australia is dry and brown(take Tasmania as just one example!!). Not ALL people are narrow mindend. etc etc.

I guess I don't like generalisations(though I'm sure I generalise plenty myself too).

Btw, please see also my edited first post (I added some stuff shortly after)

Good luck (in Dubai?)
Old Apr 5th 2005, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Simone
This post is very different to your original post.

All I'm trying to say is that not all of Australia is hot, not all of Australia is dry and brown(take Tasmania as just one example!!). Not ALL people are narrow mindend. etc etc.

I guess I don't like generalisations(though I'm sure I generalise plenty myself too).

Btw, please see also my edited first post (I added some stuff shortly after)

Good luck (in Dubai?)
I was not trying to generalize. I was just giving a very realistic picture of my own life in Australia. Anyway, as far as our next destination goes: we are still tossing. For me the the fact that I cannot travel overseas anymore is the worst and second is: not connecting with the people. I don't think that that is my fault or the fault of the Australians, it just does not click. Period. You can't click with everybody. I clicked perfectly in other countries but not here. No country is perfect. Take Dubai: still isolated (not as bad as Australia though), still dry boring land around it, but a lot less crime than here, closer to Europe, better job opps etc. You have to decide yourself what you can least live with. Thanks for your wishes. We are not quite decided yet where we off to next.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 7:30 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

I was not trying to generalize. I was just giving a very realistic picture of my own life in Australia.
And I believe you.
But it did happen(and always does, you are not the only one or anything! ) and I guess that was 'my problem' (I notice a pattern with me sticking up for the underdog....mmmm).

Just to make it clear, I don't have any problem with you not liking your situation(it is not very nice!!!!) and I also do not think Aus is the best country ever etc etc etc.

As I said, good luck with your desicions, it's not easy, and never will be!

Btw, still curious to where you live? In another thread you mention Adelaide, but that doesn't seem to fit the profile you describe(crime, heat etc) (and I'm not saying Adelaide is crime free or not hot!! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.