What would you do?

Old Mar 8th 2008, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do?

Originally Posted by bevinva
I don't think knowing they are out there makes you a curtain twitcher! Lots more kids play in the front of houses here than I ever saw in the UK, could have been where I lived though. Maybe she doesn't know they are outside, do they go back in close to the time she is coming home?
I don't know, because I don't notice unless I'm outside smoking (I don't smoke indoors, which is why I know about it). All I know is that her car is there, and if the car isn't, then the kids are outside so they haven't gone anywhere with her, I have no idea if there is anyone else inside the house or not, if there is though, they aren't keeping an eye on the kids anyway.
The impression I get is that there is no dad on the scene, she is a single mother with 2 very young children, probably trying to make ends meet and has to go out and work, and when she does, she either has someone in the house who couldn't give a damn really, maybe she's unaware of that, or she's left them on their own. I may be jumping to conclusions, I just don't know.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 6:23 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: What would you do?

Well you could phone up your local police station; tell them that you found the info on the sex offenders register. Ask if they are willing to share more information with you regarding the nature of the offence and if it is considered likely that he is of significant risk to all children under 16. You could even ask their advice on whether or not you should inform your neighbour. It's even possible that there is some kind of community liaison officer at the police station like they have in the UK (a nice lady cop) who could inform your neighbours?

As others have mentioned, he may have had a sexual relationship with a younger girlfriend a few years ago when he was barely out of his teens himself (we all know that many teenage girls can look much older and can (and choose to) be sexually active.

As a last resort if you don't feel comfortable speaking with the family, perhaps print off the info you found online and mail it anonymously to your neighbour.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Well you could phone up your local police station; tell them that you found the info on the sex offenders register. Ask if they are willing to share more information with you regarding the nature of the offence and if it is considered likely that he is of significant risk to all children under 16. You could even ask their advice on whether or not you should inform your neighbour. It's even possible that there is some kind of community liaison officer at the police station like they have in the UK (a nice lady cop) who could inform your neighbours?

As others have mentioned, he may have had a sexual relationship with a younger girlfriend a few years ago when he was barely out of his teens himself (we all know that many teenage girls can look much older and can (and choose to) be sexually active.

As a last resort if you don't feel comfortable speaking with the family, perhaps print off the info you found online and mail it anonymously to your neighbour.

Yeah, good advice. I'll have to give it some thought before acting, because I don't want to go making mountains out of molehills and it turning ugly or anything, as these things can do if acted upon without thought.
Thanks for the advice
Old Mar 8th 2008, 6:44 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M
I don't want anything coming back on me that could be seen as me either causing trouble for someone without being fully aware of the facts, (got to keep my own nose clean at the moment)
In that case, putting it in writing should be the last thing you want to to.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

I know they do, and that's why I feel an obligation to do something because I live right next door to them.
First find out the Truth, before you say anything.

Here in California you can go on-line find photo's addresses, convictions, etc.
Google Sex Offender for your area and you may have the same thing.

Ours tells us what they did, offence with a child under 14, lewd acts, etc.
THEN, if your neighbor is on such a list, you could just give the neighbor the web site address and suggest she check it out for your street.

If she doesn't have a computer, you could print it out for her.

Or, you could go over there for another reason, maybe you have some kids books laying around, her kids might like ? Then get chatting and bring up your concerns.

Elaine
Old Mar 8th 2008, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

If you knew of a sex offender who lived a couple of doors away from you, and a new family moved in next door with two young children who played unsupervised out the front while I assume the mother is at work (the car isn't there for most of the day) and they had literally moved in in the last 2 weeks and seemed shy and a little bit strange (Like when I go outside my house, or when my husband does, everyone, including the mother if she is there, all go inside), how do I go about informing them of this sex offender? I don't want to say "Hi, I'm your new neighbour, BTW there's a sex offender who lives over there", I don't know how to go about telling them without it coming across in a funny way or coming back on me in any way.
First and most important, how old are these young kids playing outside unsupervised? Unless they are old enough to be responsible, Id be very very concerned about them being left alone, to the point that if I felt they were too young to be unsupervised, I wouldnt hesitate to contact child protection services and have them do a routine enquiry into the health and welfare of the children.

Do you have a block watch system where you live? If so the information about the sex offender should be passed to everyone in the meetings.

But please find out about these kids first for the kids protection.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Apart from the sex offender...I would be concerned about her leaving the kids outside alone while she's at work.
Absolutely, no young kids should be left unsupervised at any time!
Old Mar 8th 2008, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by willmore
First and most important, how old are these young kids playing outside unsupervised? Unless they are old enough to be responsible, Id be very very concerned about them being left alone, to the point that if I felt they were too young to be unsupervised, I wouldnt hesitate to contact child protection services and have them do a routine enquiry into the health and welfare of the children.

Do you have a block watch system where you live? If so the information about the sex offender should be passed to everyone in the meetings.

But please find out about these kids first for the kids protection.
Yeah, I mean with or without the sex offender living in the same street, there is the issue of them being out unsupervised. I do think however that before I jump to conclusions, I need to find a way of finding out more about them so I can deal with anything that needs dealing with in an informed manner, rather than me drawing conclusions based on what I *think* is going on.

As for the sex offender, he is listed on the national sex offender register, which I have seen so I know it is a fact and not just some rumour. However, I don't have enough details to go round and tell the mother with any certainty that her children are at risk, because as someone on here has mentioned, it could have been that he was in a relationship with a teenage girl when barely out of his teens himself. This is the problem, I don't know, because it doesn't give any more information than "Indecent liberty minor". It doesn't say whether it was a 17 year old or a 7 year old.

If she was an approachable sort of woman, I wouldn't have this problem, because I could bring it up in an informal casual chat. Problem is, she doesn't appear to be that sort, and I don't want all sorts of trouble on my door if I haven't got my facts right.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 10:02 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

when I go outside my house, or when my husband does, everyone, including the mother if she is there, all go inside), .

Are you sure they haven't already heard about the neighbour but think it's YOU that's the perv?
Old Mar 8th 2008, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Juswus
Are you sure they haven't already heard about the neighbour but think it's YOU that's the perv?
I had thought about that, or they might think it's my husband!
Old Mar 8th 2008, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah, I mean with or without the sex offender living in the same street, there is the issue of them being out unsupervised. I do think however that before I jump to conclusions, I need to find a way of finding out more about them so I can deal with anything that needs dealing with in an informed manner, rather than me drawing conclusions based on what I *think* is going on.

As for the sex offender, he is listed on the national sex offender register, which I have seen so I know it is a fact and not just some rumour. However, I don't have enough details to go round and tell the mother with any certainty that her children are at risk, because as someone on here has mentioned, it could have been that he was in a relationship with a teenage girl when barely out of his teens himself. This is the problem, I don't know, because it doesn't give any more information than "Indecent liberty minor". It doesn't say whether it was a 17 year old or a 7 year old.

If she was an approachable sort of woman, I wouldn't have this problem, because I could bring it up in an informal casual chat. Problem is, she doesn't appear to be that sort, and I don't want all sorts of trouble on my door if I haven't got my facts right.

The kids are at risk just being left unsupervised. In canada a person can call child protection services anonymously and report this sort of situation. If it were me, I would call cps and report it, and not leave it any longer to find out more information. No one will ever know that it was you who called, so you wont have any trouble on your doorstep (and I dont blame you there). Every day those kids are left unattended is a safety issue for them, and especially with a sex offender living in the area. CPS when and if they pay a visit can inform them about the sex offender living in area.

Im surprised that there isnt a system in place where the neighbourhood is not informed that a sex offender has moved into the area.

Good luck to you with whatever you decide to do. I hope youll be a concerned parent and take the appropriate action to protect those kids (if indeed their safety is at issue).

Do they not have a "block watch" system in place in neighbourhoods in the states?

Last edited by willmore; Mar 8th 2008 at 10:26 am.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by willmore
The kids are at risk just being left unsupervised. In canada a person can call child protection services anonymously and report this sort of situation. If it were me, I would call cps and report it, and not leave it any longer to find out more information. No one will ever know that it was you who called, so you wont have any trouble on your doorstep (and I dont blame you there). Every day those kids are left unattended is a safety issue for them, and especially with a sex offender living in the area. CPS when and if they pay a visit can inform them about the sex offender living in area.

Im surprised that there isnt a system in place where the neighbourhood is not informed that a sex offender has moved into the area.

Good luck to you with whatever you decide to do. I hope youll be a concerned parent and take the appropriate action to protect those kids (if indeed their safety is at issue).
Good idea, because if I have it wrong in some way, then at least they would have investigated the situation and told them of the sex offender, it's then out of my hands and in the hands of the authorities.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 10:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea, because if I have it wrong in some way, then at least they would have investigated the situation and told them of the sex offender, it's then out of my hands and in the hands of the authorities.
I would try to think of an excuse to knock on the door when the kids are playing outside and you think the mum is working. That way you'll know whether she's left someone to look after them or left them alone.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

I would try to think of an excuse to knock on the door when the kids are playing outside and you think the mum is working. That way you'll know whether she's left someone to look after them or left them alone.
Me too, I still wonder if the kids are left alone but the mother thinks they are at least staying inside.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Agree - sometimes things are not as they seem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.