What would you do?

Old Mar 8th 2008, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute
Default What would you do?

If you knew of a sex offender who lived a couple of doors away from you, and a new family moved in next door with two young children who played unsupervised out the front while I assume the mother is at work (the car isn't there for most of the day) and they had literally moved in in the last 2 weeks and seemed shy and a little bit strange (Like when I go outside my house, or when my husband does, everyone, including the mother if she is there, all go inside), how do I go about informing them of this sex offender? I don't want to say "Hi, I'm your new neighbour, BTW there's a sex offender who lives over there", I don't know how to go about telling them without it coming across in a funny way or coming back on me in any way.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 4:01 pm

special ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to all
Default Re: What would you do?

Originally Posted by Emma M
If you knew of a sex offender who lived a couple of doors away from you, and a new family moved in next door with two young children who played unsupervised out the front while I assume the mother is at work (the car isn't there for most of the day) and they had literally moved in in the last 2 weeks and seemed shy and a little bit strange (Like when I go outside my house, or when my husband does, everyone, including the mother if she is there, all go inside), how do I go about informing them of this sex offender? I don't want to say "Hi, I'm your new neighbour, BTW there's a sex offender who lives over there", I don't know how to go about telling them without it coming across in a funny way or coming back on me in any way.
Put yourself in their shoes and think what you would want your neighbors to do. Then follow your own advice, as it were.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

i know what you mean but i'd have to tell them, warn them. imagine if it were you and something happend to your kids just after moving in and you were not aware of the fact, would have rather been pre warned?
Old Mar 8th 2008, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

MademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a meddling type of person but sex offenders pose a direct risk to others. If I had kids and a sex offender lived next door I would want to know!

If anything ever happened, you would never forgive yourself!

I would type out a letter and sign it, a concerned neighbour.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 4:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

There was a fella featured on the tee vee last night who is a registered sex offender.. he was convicted of 'child sex abuse' for having consensual sex with his 16 y/o girlfriend when he was 19. They're married now.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

I would want to know for sure.. I have 3 children. But I also understand your hesitance. Good luck!
Old Mar 8th 2008, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

I'd tell them. Perhaps take them some home-made cookies, a cake, or other welcoming gift and, during the course of the conversation, mention about the next door neighbor. I know I'd want to know.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

If you tell them it would be best to know what the offense was. Be careful though because using the sex offender information to harrass people is a crime in itself. A bolder approach might be to speak to the offender and find out what happened. If it's something along the lines of having sex with your underage girlfriend you later married then no worries!
Old Mar 8th 2008, 4:32 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

If you knew of a sex offender who lived a couple of doors away from you, and a new family moved in next door with two young children who played unsupervised out the front while I assume the mother is at work (the car.
Sexual Offfender or Sexual Predator ..there is a huge difference
Old Mar 8th 2008, 5:00 pm

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say nothing until I know the facts ie the nature of the sexual offences he/she was committed of.
Also, do you know any of the other families in the neighbourhood, if so, do they know about this person and how do they feel about it?
You might want to watch the film Little Children starring Kate Winslet - this subject is addressed, very interesting....

Last edited by JEM3110; Mar 8th 2008 at 5:06 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MademoiselleMtl
I am not a meddling type of person but sex offenders pose a direct risk to others. If I had kids and a sex offender lived next door I would want to know!

If anything ever happened, you would never forgive yourself!

I would type out a letter and sign it, a concerned neighbour.
Yeah, I was thinking of doing that.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by meauxna
There was a fella featured on the tee vee last night who is a registered sex offender.. he was convicted of 'child sex abuse' for having consensual sex with his 16 y/o girlfriend when he was 19. They're married now.
Yep, and this is something else, too. Because I don't know what were the circumstances. It could be just like that, or he could have a thing for little children, I don't know.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 5:40 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that.
A very dangerous idea ...
Old Mar 8th 2008, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bevinva
If you tell them it would be best to know what the offense was. Be careful though because using the sex offender information to harrass people is a crime in itself. A bolder approach might be to speak to the offender and find out what happened. If it's something along the lines of having sex with your underage girlfriend you later married then no worries!
Yes, this is precisely why I'm hesitant in what I say and how I say it.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 5:45 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, this is precisely why I'm hesitant in what I say and how I say it.
Torch the pervs house that'll sort the problem out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.