Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What Will I Miss About the UK - One liners please!

What Will I Miss About the UK - One liners please!

Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: What Will I Miss About the UK - One liners please!

Originally Posted by carlt
Hi All,

After 40 years in the UK, having spent 30 of them convinced I'd end up living elsewhere, I'm almost decided that the time has come to do something about it.

I'm working for a multinational bank in London and my boss has vacancies on his New York team, so getting over there should be painless. Before I jump in and register my interest I thought I'd read up a little on the web forums and see what the expats liked and disliked. A lot of discussion seems to centre around what people miss, so I was looking for a concise list of everything I should be prepared to mourn from the UK or hate about the US once I'm there.

It'd be cool to keep it to one-liners, at least until the list is mostly complete, so I can distil them out and maybe edit them onto the end of my starter list below if it's allowed. Anyway, here are my guesses in no particular order:

Beer
Pub
Annual Holiday Allowance
Curry
Family
Friends
Lane discipline
Tony Blair will follow me to the US
I'll become a bad speller overnight
Confusing Date Formats
Coronation Street
Countryside
PG Tips

Anyone else have much to add to that?
Val Doonican TV Shows - Cardigans and all that kind of malarchy

Jim.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:31 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Will I Miss About the UK - One liners please!

Originally Posted by cabritpop
Give it a few years, you will start missing stuff.
Damn, you got me; I was trying to be po-mo ha ha. I miss lots of things already. I miss public toilets that you have to actually flush (don't ask me why), I miss paying a quid fifty for a bottle of HP brown sauce instead of five bucks. I miss being able to say 'quid' instead of 'bucks' without completely baffling whoever I am talking to. I miss the drizzle, the miserable bus drivers, the cheap drugs and kebabs. I also miss me mum.

I don't miss however not having enough 'quids', filthy public toilets, miserable bus drivers, cheap drugs and kebabs that would poison your dog. It works on both levels.

I do miss me mum though lol.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:47 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Mother's Day, Father's day, Family Birthday's, Friends Birthdays, Funerals and births of people near & dear to you.
Ah, the family pull...

I don't personally drink the stuff, but I've seen it available at some of our local supermarkets and also at the local Indian for a reasonable price.

The Indian in fact, might be the best place to buy these....
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 4:40 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Beer
Pub
Annual Holiday Allowance
Curry
Family
Friends
Lane discipline
Tony Blair will follow me to the US
I'll become a bad speller overnight
Confusing Date Formats
Coronation Street
Countryside
PG Tips

Anyone else have much to add to that?
Just go for it with an open mind... what's the point in getting homesick before you even leave home? ... Best of luck!
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 9:38 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I wanna go now.

I was certain my list of positives would outweigh any negatives everyone could come up with. Having doubts now. Better go make another list!

As has been said, if I don't burn any bridges it can be just a temporary experiment. I can always sneak back to London with my tail between my legs!
I hope you like your job, enough to work 40 -60 hours a week at it without so much as a free cup of coffee from the boss.
Just make sure you don't come over until you have signed on 50 duplicate forms with 100 witnesses and tattooed on your arse, that you have at least 20-25 paid days off a year AND health insurance that covers everything from a cold to cancer.
Oh and forget going to the pub at lunchtime, you'll be handed an AA appointment card as soon as you can blink.

Actually it shouldn't be that much different from London, imagine London 5 times the size, smellier and dirtier and thats NYC really.

Oh and from blighty I miss telly w/out adverts every 2 seconds, news programmes (here they are opinion shows disguised as the news) and using my legs.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 4:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
I get Corrie here, being close to Canada. Is NY too far away to get it?
to far south....you get it in Maine though...
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 4:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Malone
... If you live in the city you may not use a car or use one as much.
Maybe in NY and Boston and a few other cities, just because parking is such a mare, and having a car so expensive...but even in most cities, you'll need a car to get around, public transport has a lot to be desired...
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 4:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Sarah
...and using my legs.
saucy little minx