Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What Will I Miss About the UK - One liners please!

What Will I Miss About the UK - One liners please!

Old Feb 21st 2007, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

carlt is an unknown quantity at this point
Post What Will I Miss About the UK - One liners please!

Hi All,

After 40 years in the UK, having spent 30 of them convinced I'd end up living elsewhere, I'm almost decided that the time has come to do something about it.

I'm working for a multinational bank in London and my boss has vacancies on his New York team, so getting over there should be painless. Before I jump in and register my interest I thought I'd read up a little on the web forums and see what the expats liked and disliked. A lot of discussion seems to centre around what people miss, so I was looking for a concise list of everything I should be prepared to mourn from the UK or hate about the US once I'm there.

It'd be cool to keep it to one-liners, at least until the list is mostly complete, so I can distil them out and maybe edit them onto the end of my starter list below if it's allowed. Anyway, here are my guesses in no particular order:

Beer
Pub
Annual Holiday Allowance
Curry
Family
Friends
Lane discipline
Tony Blair will follow me to the US
I'll become a bad speller overnight
Confusing Date Formats
Coronation Street
Countryside
PG Tips

Anyone else have much to add to that?

Last edited by carlt; Feb 21st 2007 at 5:40 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 5:42 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What Will I Miss About the UK - One liners please!

welcome to BE carl

the biggest thing for me is the 'humour' or 'lack of' so best add that to your list
Old Feb 21st 2007, 5:44 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carlt
Hi All,

After 40 years in the UK, having spent 30 of them convinced I'd end up living elsewhere, I'm almost decided that the time has come to do something about it.

I'm working for a multinational bank in London and my boss has vacancies on his New York team, so getting over there should be painless. Before I jump in and register my interest I thought I'd read up a little on the web forums and see what the expats liked and disliked. A lot of discussion seems to centre around what people miss, so I was looking for a concise list of everything I should be prepared to mourn from the UK or hate about the US once I'm there.

It'd be cool to keep it to one-liners, at least until the list is mostly complete, so I can distil them out and maybe edit them onto the end of my starter list below if it's allowed. Anyway, here are my guesses in no particular order:

Beer
Pub
Annual Holiday Allowance
Curry
Family
Friends
Lane discipline
Tony Blair will follow me to the US
I'll become a bad speller overnight
Confusing Date Formats
Coronation Street
Countryside
PG Tips

Anyone else have much to add to that?
You'd have to be mad not to jump at the opportunity of a TEMPORARY move to NYC.

Lots of wonderful museums and art galleries, 2 great opera houses, and generally a place that's ALIVE.

Just don't burn your bridges, because it is unlikely ever to be home...
Old Feb 21st 2007, 6:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Free entertainment like museums

Decent, affordable groceries

Affordable car insurance

Parks, especially if you like sports, anything impromptu you might play at the park with friends

Depending on where in the UK, you might miss the weather, certainly the seasons

Travel abroad

Holiday time, though your transferring, so in a better position to work something out here.

NHS...even with all the gripes

The humour

The tele, perhaps.

Sales protection...nothing here has a warranty worth spitting at

But if you have the chances, go for it, you'll probably love it for all the gripes, and if you don't, then you'll appreciate things you never would have thought about other wise.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 6:09 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
........go for it, you'll probably love it for all the gripes, and if you don't, then you'll appreciate things you never would have thought about other wise.
Wise words, Roberto!
Old Feb 21st 2007, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Free entertainment like museums

Decent, affordable groceries

Affordable car insurance

Parks, especially if you like sports, anything impromptu you might play at the park with friends

Depending on where in the UK, you might miss the weather, certainly the seasons

Travel abroad

Holiday time, though your transferring, so in a better position to work something out here.

NHS...even with all the gripes

The humour

The tele, perhaps.

Sales protection...nothing here has a warranty worth spitting at

But if you have the chances, go for it, you'll probably love it for all the gripes, and if you don't, then you'll appreciate things you never would have thought about other wise.
Bob's really gone to Town ain't he, well said
Old Feb 21st 2007, 6:55 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Bob's really gone to Town ain't he, well said

You have nothing to add? Or just don't feel like typing a half dozen pages right now?
Old Feb 21st 2007, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
You have nothing to add? Or just don't feel like typing a half dozen pages right now?
LOL got it in one
Old Feb 21st 2007, 7:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
where's that text file to copy and paste when you need it
Old Feb 21st 2007, 7:13 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

so I was looking for a concise list of everything I should be prepared to mourn from the UK

Everything.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Drivers' education.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Everything.
Yes thats it, one word he said and one word only, EVERYTHING.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 7:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Toontje
Drivers' education.
especially in NY
Old Feb 21st 2007, 7:27 pm
Account Closed

Britgal is an unknown quantity at this point

Decent customer service and competitive rates!!
Old Feb 21st 2007, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

Not to worry about the PG Tips mate, you can get them in loads of places now!

English summers......pub garden lunches

walking anywhere at all except for to the car and back

Getting on a bus or train everyday If I want to instead of taking the car

Mother's Day, Father's day, Family Birthday's, Friends Birthdays, Funerals and births of people near & dear to you.

National Trust

Cream tea's, toasted teacakes, ready meals, Cornish pasties.

Bluebells and the smell of the English countryside, cow manure and all!

By the way welcome and good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.