Reload this Page >

Brits having a baby in USA

Brits having a baby in USA

Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Charlie1315 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brits having a baby in USA

Hi everyone

I am new to the site and would really appreciate some help on a few points....

I am a Brit and live in Pennsylvania with my Brit husband who is working here on an H1B visa for the foreseeable future. I am pregnant, due in September and plan to give birth here in the States.

I have heard that our baby will be considered an American citizen as he/she will be born here despite both us parents being Brits. Is this true?

If true, is the process of getting the baby a US birth certificate and US passport as straight forward as it would be for a US citizen? Or do we need to get an attorney and do things differently?

Does anyone know how we go about getting the baby registered as a British citizen and getting it a British passport?...I assume that as a child of British parents the baby will have dual citizenship?

Thank you very much!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:36 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brits having a baby in USA

hiya and welcome to BE

i think i'm correct in saying that yes your new baby born in the USA will be a USA citizen however i'm sure there will be additional members to confirm and help with your other questions.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Your child[ren] if born on US soil will be US Citizens and will automatically have a US birth certificate which will be registered by the hospital with the hall of records in that city. Your child, with that birth certificate, can obtain a US Passport.

Also if qualified by parentage, your child[ren] will also be British citizens. British Consulate in New York City for the passport.

Originally Posted by Charlie1315
Hi everyone

I am a Brit and live in Pennsylvania with my Brit husband who is working here on an H1B visa for the foreseeable future. I am pregnant, due in September and plan to give birth here in the States.

I have heard that our baby will be considered an American citizen as he/she will be born here despite both us parents being Brits. Is this true?

If true, is the process of getting the baby a US birth certificate and US passport as straight forward as it would be for a US citizen? Or do we need to get an attorney and do things differently?

Does anyone know how we go about getting the baby registered as a British citizen and getting it a British passport?...I assume that as a child of British parents the baby will have dual citizenship?

Thank you very much!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Your child[ren] if born on US soil will be US Citizens and will automatically have a US birth certificate which will be registered by the hospital with the hall of records in that city. Your child, with that birth certificate, can obtain a US Passport.

Also if qualified by parentage, your child[ren] will also be British citizens. British Consulate in New York City for the passport.
Passports are issued or renewed via British Embassy Washington.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Charlie1315 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Brits having a baby in USA

Thanks for such prompt and helpful responses all! I really appreciate it.

Charlie
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charlie1315
Hi everyone

Thank you very much!

Hi Charlie, Welcome to BE! I am in exactly the same boat as you. Our little Texan is due late July so you can PM me nearer the time and I'll be able to advise as to how it all went! Lol!
Congrats to you and your hubby. Is this your first baby? We have a Scottish four year old son!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

To get a Brit birth cert and passport, do a search through the US forums, you'll find loads of posts, it's pretty quick and easy, but not that cheap.

Welcome to BE too