Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What a pleausre it is.....

What a pleausre it is.....

Old Jul 24th 2009, 7:23 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a pleausre it is.....

Originally Posted by yorkshirelass
I missed out by one blooming week!!
Me too, I got back on Wednesday.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lanarkwitch
Can I just say that having dwelled in Abu Dhabi for the last 7 months I have not bought a thing here, it's either overpriced tat or overpriced Uk imports that would bring a tear to your eye to hand over money for, I lie awake in bed at night wishing the 21st of August would come a bit quicker and I can go home and but some normal fashionable reasonably priced clothes.......who ever thought they'd say that about the UK!!
Totally agree - I am in AD too but back in UK at the moment. I love the Monsoon and M&S sales that are on now...................
Old Jul 25th 2009, 5:58 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
I am currently on a recce in the UK to see if I would like to move back here on a long term basis. Now, although clothes shopping is not a priority for me during this time, can I just say that browsing around the ladies clothes shops and department stores is an absolute pleasure compared to Australia. There are some really nice, good quality stylish clothes around and at very reasonable prices.
I bought a T shirt in Marks & Spencers today for 5 pounds, good quality cotton and well priced - I would not have been able to buy something as nice at that price in OZ.
Anyone else noticed the difference??
Just thought I would share this.....

Oops, I didn't mean to spell pleasure like that!
If you people think ,there is a special "little Factory" somewere that produces clothes for the UK markets, you are totally deluded.
97% of all clothing sold in the USA /UK markets is made in China,the same factory that makes clothes for Australia/New Zealand.
Its amazing what the Mind can do to peoples perpectives.......
http://www.weeklygripe.co.uk/a468.asp

Read this artical.......................mm
Old Jul 25th 2009, 8:27 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
If you people think ,there is a special "little Factory" somewere that produces clothes for the UK markets, you are totally deluded.
97% of all clothing sold in the USA /UK markets is made in China,the same factory that makes clothes for Australia/New Zealand.

Might be true, but purchasers have different standards. There used to be a lot of "hosiery" factories in the midlands (have they all gone?) and the ones that supplied M&S had a different production line for them because they were so demanding.

I assume if they're buying from Asia, they're still doing the same and deciding what quality they're ready to pay for.

Bev
Old Jul 25th 2009, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Not this hoary old chestnut In my professional and personal life I have a bit to do with things that are made in Asia but designed/marketed elsewhere.

I'll say it slowly so it sinks in. It's nothing to with the factory and everything to do with R/M and EIQA and if you don't know what that is I suggest you find out before pretending that you do.

And yes, my clothes are made in a quiet little factory in England because for the most part I have things made bespoke
Old Jul 25th 2009, 10:55 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Not this hoary old chestnut In my professional and personal life I have a bit to do with things that are made in Asia but designed/marketed elsewhere.

I'll say it slowly so it sinks in. It's nothing to with the factory and everything to do with R/M and EIQA and if you don't know what that is I suggest you find out before pretending that you do.

And yes, my clothes are made in a quiet little factory in England because for the most part I have things made bespoke
Arn,t you that faggy little mommys boy who came too, Australia pretended to be a Triathlete , failed miserably and went home with his tail between his lakes ........Or am i mistaken..........mm
Old Jul 26th 2009, 2:14 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Arn,t you that faggy little mommys boy who came too, Australia pretended to be a Triathlete , failed miserably and went home with his tail between his lakes ........Or am i mistaken..........mm
Meow.

If I could afford it I'd have my clothes made for me too.
But till then I'll shop Marks and Sparks too.
My mother worked as a supervisor in a small factory that made their clothes and the standards were much higher than for other lines they did, that was way back in the 70's.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

No, I'm the faggy little Mummy's boy that paid attention in English class.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

Actually whats amazing is that you read something in this thread that is not even mentioned and are in fact completely wrong, there are many factories in Hong/Kong etc that do produce clothes specifically for UK and western markets for a number of reasons, firstly UK clothing is a completely different cut and fit than standard sizes elsewhere in the world, all us women are well aware of the benefits of buying a US 12 against a UK 12, secondly, it's a matter of climate, fabrics suitable for western europe are not for example workable in Abu Dhabi, nor fashionable, I could go on all day but the reason that people are commenting on UK high street fashion is that it represents excellent value for money, is fashionable and wearable, not like the many alternatives we have seen in our respective countries. The fact that it is made in China has no bearing on the situation, what does is the design and price point decided upon by the retailer for what will work in their market, so simply this is a case of purchasers apprecisting that the UK high st have more of an idea of what people want not some misplaced belief that these garments are actually made in the UK
Old Jul 27th 2009, 1:27 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
just in case you are not aware, M&S now have international delivery to Oz and NZ for £20

what about Canada???
Old Jul 27th 2009, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

gojo49 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, but me-thinks the rules on clothing imports for the UK are higher than those for Oz?
Old Jul 28th 2009, 11:28 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: What a pleausre it is.....

Originally Posted by lanarkwitch
Actually whats amazing is that you read something in this thread that is not even mentioned and are in fact completely wrong, there are many factories in Hong/Kong etc that do produce clothes specifically for UK and western markets for a number of reasons, firstly UK clothing is a completely different cut and fit than standard sizes elsewhere in the world, all us women are well aware of the benefits of buying a US 12 against a UK 12, secondly, it's a matter of climate, fabrics suitable for western europe are not for example workable in Abu Dhabi, nor fashionable, I could go on all day but the reason that people are commenting on UK high street fashion is that it represents excellent value for money, is fashionable and wearable, not like the many alternatives we have seen in our respective countries. The fact that it is made in China has no bearing on the situation, what does is the design and price point decided upon by the retailer for what will work in their market, so simply this is a case of purchasers apprecisting that the UK high st have more of an idea of what people want not some misplaced belief that these garments are actually made in the UK
You wouldn't believe the number of clothes in the shops here in tropical Singapore which are made from polyester and other man-made fabrics! Both young and old Singaporeans alike are wearing them, I can only bear to wear clothes made of cotton, linen or silk and it's far too hot to even wear jeans. However, I don't know what the Chinese aunties would do without their black polyester non-fitted trousers with the elastic waist...

My friend is a 'fit model' in NYC, a bit like a human dressmakers dummy as clothes have to be made to fit 'someone' to a standard size eg. US size 8, 10 etc. What happens is that the design houses for the big chains and top names eg. DKNY, Ralph Lauren etc. are mainly in the Fashion District around 7th Avenue and at least one sample of each design is made up and the fit model tries it for size. When they are happy with the cut and the fit, then the manufacturer in the Far East is informed and then they will go ahead and produce say, half a million dresses, trousers etc.

You can find some 'samples' in the shops in Hong Kong and Singapore which never went into production or that the fit was wrong and the order cancelled. Of course there are plenty of knock-offs too (of variable quality) and one friend knew of a place in Hong Kong where clothing labels were produced for knock-off clothes and for tailors.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
You wouldn't believe the number of clothes in the shops here in tropical Singapore which are made from polyester and other man-made fabrics! Both young and old Singaporeans alike are wearing them, I can only bear to wear clothes made of cotton, linen or silk and it's far too hot to even wear jeans. However, I don't know what the Chinese aunties would do without their black polyester non-fitted trousers with the elastic waist...

My friend is a 'fit model' in NYC, a bit like a human dressmakers dummy as clothes have to be made to fit 'someone' to a standard size eg. US size 8, 10 etc. What happens is that the design houses for the big chains and top names eg. DKNY, Ralph Lauren etc. are mainly in the Fashion District around 7th Avenue and at least one sample of each design is made up and the fit model tries it for size. When they are happy with the cut and the fit, then the manufacturer in the Far East is informed and then they will go ahead and produce say, half a million dresses, trousers etc.

You can find some 'samples' in the shops in Hong Kong and Singapore which never went into production or that the fit was wrong and the order cancelled. Of course there are plenty of knock-offs too (of variable quality) and one friend knew of a place in Hong Kong where clothing labels were produced for knock-off clothes and for tailors.
I can't imagine living in Singapore and wearing man made fabrics every day! That would be so uncomfortable
I like the bit about the chinese aunties wearing their black polyester trousers with the elasticated waist Older people wearing polyester trousers with an elasticated waist is a common sight in OZ too - not comfortable on a 40 degree day!!

I also believe that the import standards are higher for the UK than Oz and New Zealand. Sure, you can buy rubbish in the UK but there is also a lot of good quality stuff too which you just don't see in Australia.