Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What a pleausre it is.....

What a pleausre it is.....

Old Jul 16th 2009, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default What a pleausre it is.....

I am currently on a recce in the UK to see if I would like to move back here on a long term basis. Now, although clothes shopping is not a priority for me during this time, can I just say that browsing around the ladies clothes shops and department stores is an absolute pleasure compared to Australia. There are some really nice, good quality stylish clothes around and at very reasonable prices.
I bought a T shirt in Marks & Spencers today for 5 pounds, good quality cotton and well priced - I would not have been able to buy something as nice at that price in OZ.
Anyone else noticed the difference??
Just thought I would share this.....

Oops, I didn't mean to spell pleasure like that!
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a pleausre it is.....

Anyone else noticed the difference??
From a male perspective, yes a huge difference. I don't think I've bought an item of clothing outside of the UK now for a few years, oops, tell a lie, I bought a Bean Pole belt in Korea.

I'm, a tad fussy with clothes, and do have some high end stuff (bespoke mainly rather than bling brands) but I'm always amazed at the mid to just above mid range choice for men in the UK and Europe, especially when price is considered as well. I simply don't give my money to Oz retailers anymore as for the most part it's unimaginative tat, or overpriced stuff masquerading as sophisticated.

A man should know his poplins from his shubs.

(still haven't scaled the dizzy heights to a pair of Lobbs yet though )
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:46 am
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

I can well believe it. I've been making do for the past two years with mainly the clothes I brought over here. I recently went on a "spree" to get some new basic stuff, except I could hardly find anything I wanted, even bog standard T-shirts seemed shoddy. Some of the things I bought are out of shape after one wash, legs & arms gone short on others. I can't even find any reasonably priced shoes that aren't flimsy rubbish. Compare this to things I have from M&S, Asda & Sainsburys that are still going strong. Having a young child I who's learning to eat & crawling around I don't want to spend loads on my own clothing as it gets trashed. & don't start me on kids clothing - it is impossible to buy something without hideous garish patterns or characters on it, even the majority of kids shoes & slippers have to have something on them.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 7:26 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We are in UK right now too, clothes shopping has become a fun activity for me and my oldest son, I think he has a whole new wardrobe by now and will be leaving his US bought stuff behind in favor of his new Clarks shoes and lots of shirts and jeans from everywhere from Asda to Top man and Greenwoods, he tried to talk me into a jacket from next yesterday
I too have bought a lot, new M&S Bras and teeshirts (I love those £5 ones too) Enjoy it while you can and pray for another clothes shopping UK trip before all the stuff you have bought wears out.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Heljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to behold

I despair at the clothes in WA, they're just dire. I don't buy expensive clothes because of having two young children, so I bought a whole load of linen trousers and t-shirts from Primark last year before coming out here. For cheap clothing they're still in really good shape, only the trousers are starting to fade a little because of being hung out in the sun. I paid 8 pounds for long linen trousers and 6 for mid length ones, I've got a total of 17 pairs in all colours. I bought loads of white t-shirts (mad for white t-shirts!) at 1.50 each. I'm so glad I bought them before coming out as I would never have been able to get something similar here at a similar price.

Needless to say when I go home for good on the 31st July I'll be in Primark, Next, M&S, H&M and Tesco again.

I agree about the garish patterns on children's clothes, why do they do it! Mind you, I wish Next would stop plastering its name over the kids clothing line.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

You can't get clothes in Adelaide either. I try to get back to Britain once a year for a few weeks and have been doing so since I moved to Adelaide and will try to keep doing so until such time as I am in a position to move back permanently. I ONLY buy clothes in Britain, NEVER in Australia.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backagen
You can't get clothes in Adelaide either. I try to get back to Britain once a year for a few weeks and have been doing so since I moved to Adelaide and will try to keep doing so until such time as I am in a position to move back permanently. I ONLY buy clothes in Britain, NEVER in Australia.
Yes, I despair of whats on offer in Adelaide, but I think it is the same all over OZ. My friend in New Zealand has the same problem with clothes there. Poor choice and even poorer quality.
There is a lot of shoddy stuff around and if it looks that bad before it's been worn and washed, I dread to think what it looks like afterwards!

I tend to wash my aussie clothes on a gentle cycle on the washing machine because I honestly don't think that they will stand up to normal washing and normal wear and tear.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

Can I just say that having dwelled in Abu Dhabi for the last 7 months I have not bought a thing here, it's either overpriced tat or overpriced Uk imports that would bring a tear to your eye to hand over money for, I lie awake in bed at night wishing the 21st of August would come a bit quicker and I can go home and but some normal fashionable reasonably priced clothes.......who ever thought they'd say that about the UK!!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

.who ever thought they'd say that about the UK!!
People who aren't in denial.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

The UK is simply superior to Aus/NZ/ etc. Most things / services at the mid to high end are simply better quality.
Check out the amount of slagging off the Uk gets from those who "love their life"in the ex colonies.
I think they may be a wee bit self deluded.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

just in case you are not aware, M&S now have international delivery to Oz and NZ for £20
Old Jul 20th 2009, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cappuccino
just in case you are not aware, M&S now have international delivery to Oz and NZ for £20
Yes, I have heard about this. If I do return to Oz in the future I would definately consider using the service. Would be even better if they opened Marks & Spencer in Australia.....dream on
Old Jul 24th 2009, 1:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
And their big sale started yesterday
Old Jul 24th 2009, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

I just got back from a month-long trip back to the UK and I too loved the shopping. And, so did my sons. My oldest went mad picking out clothes in Next . . . and I let him!
Old Jul 24th 2009, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
And their big sale started yesterday
I missed out by one blooming week!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.